Ley Lines

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
tellyontellyon

Ley Lines

Post by tellyontellyon »

Hi folks... I recently visited Avebury http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Av ... urn false; while on holiday with my partner. There is some talk about 'ley lines' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line in connection with these sort of places.

I wonder if similay things occur with Buddhist sacred sites and monuments, is there evidence that they are aligned or arranged in lines or patterns from site to site. Just curious?

Also, do you think that some places are just more 'spiritual' or somehow more conducive to spiritual practice than others?

Cheers :namaste:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
Malcolm

Re: Ley Lines

Post by Malcolm »

tellyontellyon wrote: is there evidence that they are aligned or arranged in lines or patterns from site to site.
108 stupas were erected in Tibet on the pattern of the body of a giant ogress.
Also, do you think that some places are just more 'spiritual' or somehow more conducive to spiritual practice than others?
Some places are clearly more powerful than others. For example, once Oḍḍiyāna and Shambhala (modern day Pakistan and Afghanistan) were major sites of Buddhadharma, boasting a high civilization. Now they are places of incredible violence.

Power places are places where both positive influences as well as evil influences can be heightened.

Similarly, one cannot but be moved by visiting the Yarlung Valley in central Tibet.
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

Similarly, one cannot but be moved by visiting the Yarlung Valley in central Tibet.
Thanks Malcolm, would you say that pilgimage can be of particular benefit for Buddhists?

I'm interested in what you said about 'power places', what is the Buddhist understanding of what makes these places powerful?

Do you think that practicing in a power place is better, or could it also be a place to encounter obstacles/demons etc? Is it a good idea to meditate/practice in non-Buddhist spiritual centres/power places? e.g. some of the neolithic sites?

I know there are guardian and protector deities that we often see statues of in monasteries etc. are these particularly needed in the power places?
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tellyontellyon wrote:

Thanks Malcolm, would you say that pilgimage can be of particular benefit for Buddhists?
Absolutely.
I'm interested in what you said about 'power places', what is the Buddhist understanding of what makes these places powerful?
Just as there are places in the body which have more functions that others, there are also places on the earth where there is more "function" than others.
Do you think that practicing in a power place is better, or could it also be a place to encounter obstacles/demons etc? Is it a good idea to meditate/practice in non-Buddhist spiritual centres/power places? e.g. some of the neolithic sites?
Practicing in ancient sacred sites has plusses and minuses. Sometimes local guardians in these places can be very heavy and strong, hard to placate. But the plus side is that one can have deeper experience. Also places where great siddhas have meditated have power. For example, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu stated to me personally in 1992 that if one does six days of good quality practice at Khandroling (located in Western Massachusetts) this is equivalent to doing six months of retreat in other places.
I know there are guardian and protector deities that we often see statues of in monasteries etc. are these particularly needed in the power places?
We have to distinguish between local guardians and Dharmapalas. Usually, some guardians one sees will be representations of powerful worldly Guardians like Nyenchen Thangla, the Tenma, and so on., as well as the four directional Kings and so on.

Return to “Lounge”