Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:58 am
Posts: 299
Malcolm wrote:
Will wrote:
While I have no sympathy for and am hostile to the Jihadists, the choice of a homeland by the Jews is odd. They had other offers and there was even a small counter-Zionist group working for a non-Jerusalem centered nation.

It is curious that Islam has sacred turf - Mecca - as do the Jews of Israel. Revering a sacred site is normal in all religions, but Buddhists have not, for example, made the Bodhi Tree into a site for nation building.

The priority of sacred dirt for the two groups, to the point of armed conflict, is sad and ridiculous. So I see no peaceful resolution at all - for now and the next century - at least.



Ever, that place is going to be the the site of the first use of nuclear weapons since WWII, you mark my words. It's all going down in flames.


What place will be nuked? Mecca, Jerusalem or Bodhgaya?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
AlexanderS wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Will wrote:
While I have no sympathy for and am hostile to the Jihadists, the choice of a homeland by the Jews is odd. They had other offers and there was even a small counter-Zionist group working for a non-Jerusalem centered nation.

It is curious that Islam has sacred turf - Mecca - as do the Jews of Israel. Revering a sacred site is normal in all religions, but Buddhists have not, for example, made the Bodhi Tree into a site for nation building.

The priority of sacred dirt for the two groups, to the point of armed conflict, is sad and ridiculous. So I see no peaceful resolution at all - for now and the next century - at least.



Ever, that place is going to be the the site of the first use of nuclear weapons since WWII, you mark my words. It's all going down in flames.


What place will be nuked? Mecca, Jerusalem or Bodhgaya?


Jerusalem.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:58 am
Posts: 299
What makes you say that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Posts: 682
Location: Canada
NYC or Washington DC are more likely targets. America has been doing much more than killing a few Palestinians. Good luck protecting port cities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
AlexanderS wrote:
What makes you say that?



It is the most sacred place to all three religions, ergo, it is the one that will most likely be the object of a terrorist attack.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:58 am
Posts: 299
Malcolm wrote:
AlexanderS wrote:
What makes you say that?



It is the most sacred place to all three religions, ergo, it is the one that will most likely be the object of a terrorist attack.


For me it makes less sense that anyone would nuke a place that is sacred to them. I can't see anyone other than religious nutcases being mental enough to use nuclear weapons in the modern world.

Without being that knowledgeable about Islam, I was under the impression that their most sacred place is Mecca.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
AlexanderS wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
AlexanderS wrote:
What makes you say that?



It is the most sacred place to all three religions, ergo, it is the one that will most likely be the object of a terrorist attack.


For me it makes less sense that anyone would nuke a place that is sacred to them. I can't see anyone other than religious nutcases being mental enough to use nuclear weapons in the modern world.

Without being that knowledgeable about Islam, I was under the impression that their most sacred place is Mecca.


The dome of the rock is in Jerusalem.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am
Posts: 330
AlexanderS wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
AlexanderS wrote:
What makes you say that?



It is the most sacred place to all three religions, ergo, it is the one that will most likely be the object of a terrorist attack.


For me it makes less sense that anyone would nuke a place that is sacred to them. I can't see anyone other than religious nutcases being mental enough to use nuclear weapons in the modern world.

Without being that knowledgeable about Islam, I was under the impression that their most sacred place is Mecca.


Islam's most sacred place is Mecca, the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem is sacred to Islam in a secondary way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Posts: 3037
Location: Olympia WA
locked for review.

_________________
"We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull" -Tom Waits


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Simon E. and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group