Incense to Oil diffuser

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
tlee

Incense to Oil diffuser

Post by tlee »

I grew up using incense and despite not liking the smoke have continued out of habit.
I've decided to switch to essential oil diffusion for the shrine to save my lungs from some soot.

Anyone have oil suggestions?
Any essential oil recipes to mimic traditional incense formulations?

I can't believe how much smoke I was breathing in from incense and oil lamps growing up and still today.
I want to phase out the candles and oil lamps also.
What would be a suitable replacement to these combustibles that still has the feel of offering something?
I haven't come up with anything yet, I'm so accustomed to lighting things on fire.

Thanks in advance, I might be busy for a few days so I might not respond to posts immediately.
dharmagoat

Re: Incense to Oil diffuser

Post by dharmagoat »

Pure sandalwood essential oil is wonderful stuff. Olfactory gold.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Solar powered lights. You can consider the daily recharge procedure as part of the offering.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
tlee

Post by tlee »

I bought some sandalwood oil online; it smells very nice.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Essential oils are a wonderful choice! I would suggest that you focus on therapeutic grade and sustainably produced oils. They must be ordered online, I have not found comparable quality retail. I am particularly discerning in this area. I would suggest blending several oils for a balance or buying a blend already made up. Good quality sandlewood tends to be pricey and you only need mix a few drops with other oils. Some oils to think about that can induct balance and grounding: Spruce, Fir, Pine, Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang Extra and Frankincense... as you notice many of these are conifer oils and are wonderful for meditation and grounding. ofc, there are many other choices. Lemon and rosemary are excellent for a more focused and energetic atmosphere, or when cold and flu is in the air. I always add at least a drop of lavender to pull a blend together... if won't be detected with a drop, but it will finish it nicely. another fav: Palo Santo, a close relative of Frankinscense. Frankinsense, Myrrh, Sandlewood and Palo Santo are wonderful spiritual oils and blend well with the more grounded conifer oils which are more reasonably priced. If you want mental focus, use lemon or rosemary... they have been used in retirement homes and hospitals with good effect. btw, Doctors prescribe essential oils in France for medical conditions.

When I blend, I do it meditatively... that is most important to me. it makes a diff, just like other things of this nature in the meditation hall/zendo.

also, pay attention to the diffuser. I've migrated away from the traditional nebulizers bec they tend to get gummy and are hard to clean.

here are my fav quality suppliers, in order, all excellent quality:
http://www.floracopeia.com/ ... excellent for conscious sustainability, small growers
http://www.snowlotus.org he's got experience in eastern and western herbs and oils
http://www.originalswissaromatics.com he's into the chemistry.... he has larger volumn bottles

I tend to stay away from the larger, well-known brands. These suppliers above tend to order in small batches, from local growers in each country. With the larger companies, and retail, you can't be sure of the quality and often the oils are cut with other additives in the process which cancels out any therapeutic effect. Look for "pure therapeutic grade".
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Return to “Lounge”