What is up is up with this Buddha statue?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
TaxiDriver

What is up is up with this Buddha statue?

Post by TaxiDriver »

I am not sure how long I had this fellow when before I started noticing something about him was "off". Every single other Parinirvana statue I've ever seen has him reclining on his right arm, however this one is reclining on his left. Also, the swastika is turning clockwise. Does anyone know the meaning of this? Is his pose Inverted on purpose, or is it a weird factory error? Thank you for your consideration :thanks:
Travis: "I don't know. That's about the dumbest thing I ever heard."
Wizard: "It's not Bertrand Russell. But what do you want? I'm a cabbie!"
Son of Buddha

Re: What is up is up with this Buddha statue?

Post by Son of Buddha »

TaxiDriver wrote:Image

I am not sure how long I had this fellow when before I started noticing something about him was "off". Every single other Parinirvana statue I've ever seen has him reclining on his right arm, however this one is reclining on his left. Also, the swastika is turning clockwise. Does anyone know the meaning of this? Is his pose Inverted on purpose, or is it a weird factory error? Thank you for your consideration :thanks:
You probably thinking to deep into this one.
looks like a nice statue by the way where did you get it?
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

It's more frequency than depth, I think - I look at it frequently and think "Why's he doing that?" It's cast resin from China via eBay. I have another and he's holding a sphere the size of a croquet ball (in scale). I'm not sure what the ball is. Someone on Facebook said it's a mani pearl, but I'm not finding a lot of information about that either. My Buddharupas are puzzling me.

Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

TaxiDriver wrote:It's more frequency than depth, I think - I look at it frequently and think "Why's he doing that?" It's cast resin from China via eBay. I have another and he's holding a sphere the size of a croquet ball (in scale). I'm not sure what the ball is. Someone on Facebook said it's a mani pearl, but I'm not finding a lot of information about that either. My Buddharupas are puzzling me.

the first one is based off the parinirvana of Shakyamuni(opps you already said that)

the other is Amitabha holding a mani pearl..... look up info on imagery of Amitabha concerning the Mani pearl you might find some stuff.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Son of Buddha wrote:
TaxiDriver wrote:It's more frequency than depth, I think - I look at it frequently and think "Why's he doing that?" It's cast resin from China via eBay. I have another and he's holding a sphere the size of a croquet ball (in scale). I'm not sure what the ball is. Someone on Facebook said it's a mani pearl, but I'm not finding a lot of information about that either. My Buddharupas are puzzling me.

the first one is based off the parinirvana of Shakyamuni(opps you already said that)

the other is Amitabha holding a mani pearl..... look up info on imagery of Amitabha concerning the Mani pearl you might find some stuff.
Thanks for the tip! I'm enjoying the research.

Return to “Lounge”