Myers-Briggs personality test

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Myers-Briggs personality test

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Punya wrote:I have to admit to being quite attached to the I. I think of an introvert as drawing strength from being alone rather than being with other people. Not a bad quality for a meditator, I would have thought.
I agree, although I think it's healthier not to be too far from the mid-point of the scale between any of the pairs of opposites.

:juggling:
Kim
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:INFP

Some of the questions were hard to answer though, and I could have honestly gone either way.

Role = diplomat - LOL!!!
Same here. How do you feel about being lumped together with both Deanna Troy and Wesley Crusher?
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:INFP

Some of the questions were hard to answer though, and I could have honestly gone either way.

Role = diplomat - LOL!!!
Same here. How do you feel about being lumped together with both Deanna Troy and Wesley Crusher?
I was honestly a bit horrified when I read those names. And why oh why wasn't Edward Scissorhands there?!
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I got Britney Spear. Ooops I farted again.
It’s eye blinking.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Punya wrote:Not a bad quality for a meditator, I would have thought.
Pretty mandatory, I'd think.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

INFP here too. Variant: Assertive, Diplomat.

I guess it's reasonably accurate inasmuch as that is kind of how I see myself anyway. And I was fairly confident in all my answers.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I always found the I vs. E part to be confusing, or maybe too broad.

I'm an introvert in that I need recharge time, like some time alone every day etc...but I also feel like some degree of social interaction is needed, and I tend to get weird when I don't have it, and actually miss it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Punya

Post by Punya »

I think it's about where you are on the continuum. Introverts can be cast as shrinking violets with no social skills but from what I've read previously about the Myer-Briggs test the I can be simply more about the need for and enjoyment of alone time. I know people who seem to be strongly Es in that they avoid time by themselves and endlessly seek out the company of others.

The results of a few of us seems to confirm that the changes can occur over time, which is what you would expect from a buddhist perspective. There was definitely a couple of questions that I would have answered differently in the past. I'd like to think this is a result of practice but it seems pretty likely getting older (in other words life experience) has something to do with it. :D
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:...
I'm an introvert in that I need recharge time, like some time alone every day etc...but I also feel like some degree of social interaction is needed, and I tend to get weird when I don't have it, and actually miss it.
Me the same. I enjoy being alone. But also I enjoy company to a certain extent. But I was put into the E-box.
It shows, all this "Who am I?" is as variable as clouds in the wind. :smile:
Concordiadiscordi

Post by Concordiadiscordi »

It would appear as though I am still classified as an INFJ.
"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen."
- Tommy Smothers
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

There is a big community of INFP in here.
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

Ayu wrote:There is a big community of INFP in here.
Indeed! And none of them seem to be quite alike. :smile:

Seriously though, Myers-Briggs is based on Jung's typology, and he says this about it:
One can never give a description of a type, no matter how complete, that would apply to more than one individual, despite the fact that it in some ways aptly characterizes thousands of others. Conformity is one side of a man, uniqueness is the other.
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I always found the I vs. E part to be confusing, or maybe too broad.

How about this definition for introversion as it applies to the Jungian/Myers-Briggs model?
The distinguishing feature of introversion, as opposed to extraversion, is that whereas the latter relates primarily to the object and data originating in the outside world, introversion finds it orientation in inner, personal factors.
Naturally, an introverted consciousness can be well aware of external conditions, but subjective determinants are decisive as the motivating forms. While the extravert responds to what comes to the subject from the object (outer reality), the introvert relates mainly to the impressions aroused by the object in the suject (inner reality).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Fruitzilla wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:I always found the I vs. E part to be confusing, or maybe too broad.

How about this definition for introversion as it applies to the Jungian/Myers-Briggs model?
The distinguishing feature of introversion, as opposed to extraversion, is that whereas the latter relates primarily to the object and data originating in the outside world, introversion finds it orientation in inner, personal factors.
Naturally, an introverted consciousness can be well aware of external conditions, but subjective determinants are decisive as the motivating forms. While the extravert responds to what comes to the subject from the object (outer reality), the introvert relates mainly to the impressions aroused by the object in the suject (inner reality).
Which, of course, presumes that there is an objectively existing inner and outer.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Fruitzilla wrote:

Which, of course, presumes that there is an objectively existing inner and outer.
Not necessarily. But that's a discussion which is off-topic here I think.
Punya

Post by Punya »

This responds in some way to your comment JD http://www.16personalities.com/articles ... ality-type" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" although I have some inevitable doubts about the assertion that a personality is "fixed".
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

INTP. Turbulent Analyst.

:guns:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

INFP, and pretty typical in that regard. I'm quite tickled to see this thread as it's a bit unusual to find so many IN__s in one location. This must be the "in" crowd (ha ha).

Rob
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Fruitzilla wrote:

Samsara involves experiencing things in terms of subject and object, inner and outer, the 8 worldly dharmas, and so on. This is a thread about different styles of experiencing samsara. I think Fruitzilla's post is interesting in that regard.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

INTP - but the result is boderline INTJ also.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Lounge”