Death Clock

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Paul

Death Clock

Post by Paul »

This is a very interesting thing to throw into your practice. And by interesting I don't mean fun.

http://www.death-clock.org/

Apparently I will be 70 1/2 years old. Which means I've used half of my life up already. :thinking:
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Death Clock

Post by Ayu »

They tell, I'll become 90 years old. Unbelievable and unlikely.
They don't know anything about my life, but now they have got some data from me.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Ayu wrote:They tell, I'll become 90 years old. Unbelievable and unlikely.
They don't know anything about my life, but now they have got some data from me.
You didn't give your real date of birth, did you?

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Quite seriously... be aware of the enormous power of autosuggestion and of subsequent self fulfilling prophecy.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

80 something years for me, but since I was about 12 I've had the feeling I'll die by age 40, likely by being shot.
Weird thing to keep thinking about, I hope it doesn't happen :shrug:
One of Amida's vows is that those who reflect on him will be protected from unfavorable circumstances, but I'd consider falling into a hell realm more unfavorable than dying in samsara which is going to happen no matter what I do.
Namu Amida Butsu
Loren

Post by Loren »

duckfiasco wrote:80 something years for me, but since I was about 12 I've had the feeling I'll die by age 40, likely by being shot.
One of Amida's vows is that those who reflect on him will be protected from unfavorable circumstances, but I'd consider falling into a hell realm more unfavorable than dying in samsara which is going to happen no matter what I do.
actually that is a good reason to practice. you don't want to get angry and curse those who harmed you. i think Tsasum Lingpa (?) in a prior life had an attendant who turned into a tsen spirit for cursing his killers and also there's the story of Yamantaka. there's enough negativity in the world and all our happiness comes from others. :namaste:
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

duckfiasco wrote:80 something years for me, but since I was about 12 I've had the feeling I'll die by age 40, likely by being shot.
For me it was 18, and then when I dodged that bullet, I was sure by 23. Depending which side of my family we look at, my expectations are roughly mid-50s (ie my dad's-father's-brother's side), or sometime in the 70s (all the other men in my family). I guess we'll just wait and see, but practice as much as we can in the meantime.

Return to “Lounge”