Johns Hopkins University seeks long term meditators

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
monktastic

Johns Hopkins University seeks long term meditators

Post by monktastic »

Johns Hopkins University is looking for long term meditators for a study on meditation and psilocybin. The study will be in Baltimore, and they're looking for subjects with little or no prior use.

http://hopkinsmeditation.com/

I don't know if it's against the ToS to post this here (if so, sorry), but I know they're having trouble finding enough subjects, and want to help. I also know that some here consider the Buddha's exhortation to avoid intoxicants to mean that we should avoid this stuff. I don't want to step on any toes, or turn this thread into a debate.

If you know of anyone who might be interested, or any places (Baltimore meditation communities?) to spread the word, please do.
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa
dzogchungpa

Re: Johns Hopkins University seeks long term meditators

Post by dzogchungpa »

monktastic wrote:Johns Hopkins University is looking for long term meditators for a study on meditation and psilocybin.
I have to admit, that sounds VERY interesting. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

If I remember correctly they were using psilocybin in people with terminal illness to reduce their fear of death and help them cope.

Wonder what meditation and psilocybin have to do with each other. The website gives me errors when I click the documents.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Jesse wrote:Wonder what meditation and psilocybin have to do with each other
Ever read Alduous Huxley's The Doors of Perception? It's a counter-culture classic, hugely influential on the 60's movements. (You can find an online version here but it is a very dense piece, I wouldn't try and take it in in a single reading.)

Another interesting source is Zig Zag Zen: Buddhism and Psychedelics - I notice that there is a new edition, I think I will order it, I passed on the first one.

(Disclaimer: nothing said above should be construed as advice to take illicit substances.)
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Lounge”