Who is drawn to Buddhism?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Fortyeightvows

Re: Who is drawn to Buddhism?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

dharmagoat wrote:
Fortyeightvows wrote:the people who are drawn to buddhism are those that have created the affinity in past lives
simple
That is the party line, yes.
I am a member
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Fortyeightvows wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:
Fortyeightvows wrote:the people who are drawn to buddhism are those that have created the affinity in past lives
simple
That is the party line, yes.
I am a member
:smile:
Still, how were they drawn to Buddhism in the first place?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

first place? like a beginning?
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Fortyeightvows wrote:first place? like a beginning?
Yes, before beginningless time... Oh, right.
Rita_Repulsa

Post by Rita_Repulsa »

rory wrote:My parents are analytical Jewish intellectuals who like to argue; how do you think I was drawn to Buddhism;
Warm childhood remembrances?
dharmagoat wrote:Still, how were they drawn to Buddhism in the first place?
phpBB [video]

(7:41)
Echo interaction cause and effect the interconnected quality of the absolute truth the foundation of Buddhism laying in this belief in happiness the four immeasurable and cessation of suffering. - tomschwarz

Buddhism is not a Care Bears fantasy (as many westerns think). - Harimoo
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Karma Dorje wrote:as a rule Buddhists are a humourless lot and not terribly good company, if posters on Internet fora are anything to judge by.
I can't generalize about who is drawn to Buddhism per se. But certainly if the question is who is drawn to Buddhist Internet fora, there appear to be a disproportionate number of people with an interest in how many angels (bodhisattvas) can dance on the head of a pin.

In that respect, Buddhist fora are like Internet fora in general.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

KeithBC wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:as a rule Buddhists are a humourless lot and not terribly good company, if posters on Internet fora are anything to judge by.
I can't generalize about who is drawn to Buddhism per se. But certainly if the question is who is drawn to Buddhist Internet fora, there appear to be a disproportionate number of people with an interest in how many angels (bodhisattvas) can dance on the head of a pin.

In that respect, Buddhist fora are like Internet fora in general.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
This, so much this.

Alot of what irks people on DW has less to do with Buddhism, more to do with online communication generally.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

dharmagoat wrote: Still, how were they drawn to Buddhism in the first place?
A good stock of merit and random karmic connection. That's why Tibetans put out prayer flags, so the mantra blessings float downwind and create new connections with creatures, etc.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Yeah, a lot of it is down to the medium. Internet fora are in some ways the modern equivalent of an earlier generation's barrooms: it's possible to meet strangers who are witty and knowledgeable and worth listening to and sharing your troubles with, but there are at least as many self-involved bores who mostly crave a sort of mirror, know-it-alls who will prattle about a topic in tedious detail without noticing that their audience's eyes are glazing over, and aggressive drunks who are really just looking for a fight.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

tingdzin wrote:Yeah, a lot of it is down to the medium. Internet fora are in some ways the modern equivalent of an earlier generation's barrooms: it's possible to meet strangers who are witty and knowledgeable and worth listening to and sharing your troubles with, but there are at least as many self-involved bores who mostly crave a sort of mirror, know-it-alls who will prattle about a topic in tedious detail without noticing that their audience's eyes are glazing over, and aggressive drunks who are really just looking for a fight.
Hehe. I can be any of the above, depending on the topic.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

:lol: :cheers:

Return to “Lounge”