Alcohol

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Queequeg
Former staff member

Alcohol

Post by Queequeg »

Yay or nay and why?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Alcohol

Post by Ayu »

Frequently interesting: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 83#p264088

(I locked that old thread for now, so we don't have two topics with the same title.)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote:Yay or nay and why?
Longchenpa says, among other things, in his Praise to Booze:
  • Since it increases the pure essence, the body and mind are happy,
    since it generates bliss and heat, it increases samadhi,
    and because realization arises since it produces knowledge,
    the qualities of delicious booze are perfect..
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:
Longchenpa says, among other things, in his Praise to Booze:
    since it generates bliss and heat, it increases samadhi,
    and because realization arises since it produces knowledge,
    the qualities of delicious booze are perfect..
This.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

The point is not to indulge.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

odysseus wrote:The point is not to indulge.
  • The conceitedly clever Kadampa vināyadharas,
    and the logicians, the Jodanpas and so on,
    drink in secret, so whose craving is greater?
    the qualities of delicious booze are perfect.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Let's not forget that alcohol is both a poison and known carcinogen, and therefore not appropriate for "this precious human body".

There is also the negative effect it has on mindfulness, something that a serious practitioner would be fully aware of.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dharmagoat wrote:Let's not forget that alcohol is both a poison and known carcinogen, and therefore not appropriate for "this precious human body".
  • It balances the humors and is beneficial for all illnesses,
    in particular, since it removes kapha, wind and combination illnesses,
    among medicines, it is the supreme medicinal amrita:
There is also the negative effect it has on mindfulness, something that a serious practitioner would be fully aware of.
  • Because it gathers the assembly of dakas and dakinis,
    delights the assembly of yogeśvaras,
    and is the samaya substance that perfects the two accumulations,
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

dharmagoat wrote:Let's not forget that alcohol is both a poison and known carcinogen, and therefore not appropriate for "this precious human body".
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm - are those authentic passages?

I dig it.

A finger or two of neat rye is one of the most enjoyable things in life that I've found very hard to give up.

Water of Life, man, water of life!
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:
  • It balances the humors and is beneficial for all illnesses,
    in particular, since it removes kapha, wind and combination illnesses,
    among medicines, it is the supreme medicinal amrita:
  • Because it gathers the assembly of dakas and dakinis,
    delights the assembly of yogeśvaras,
    and is the samaya substance that perfects the two accumulations,
This.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Queequeg wrote:Malcolm - are those authentic passages?
Possibly of interest: https://books.google.com/books?id=buDN9 ... %20Song%22
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I am so conflicted on this. On the one hand, I have the ancient lineages of teachers, going all the way back to Buddha himself, who have presented an unbroken series of condemnations of the demon drink for the past two thousand years.

On the other hand my ancestors are British, to whom beer is holy sacrament, regarded more as food than drink. I grew up spending one night a month bottling the beer. And the Scottish bit of me often pines for a wee dram of that bottled smoke and magic called single malt whisky.

I am the battleground upon which ancient traditions do battle. I don't think it is resolvable. So I've decided not to worry about it. Let shell and shrapnel fly, let the bloody battle be joined, but don't ask that the battle be joined by me!
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I say "yay or nay". It depends on the capacity of the practitioner, and whether they have taken the fifth precept.
Taco_Rice

Post by Taco_Rice »

catmoon wrote:I am so conflicted on this. On the one hand, I have the ancient lineages of teachers, going all the way back to Buddha himself, who have presented an unbroken series of condemnations of the demon drink for the past two thousand years.

On the other hand my ancestors are British, to whom beer is holy sacrament, regarded more as food than drink. I grew up spending one night a month bottling the beer. And the Scottish bit of me often pines for a wee dram of that bottled smoke and magic called single malt whisky.

I am the battleground upon which ancient traditions do battle. I don't think it is resolvable. So I've decided not to worry about it. Let shell and shrapnel fly, let the bloody battle be joined, but don't ask that the battle be joined by me!
Your whole existence sounds like perpetually living through the battle scene from Braveheart with the Cranberries' 1994 hit "Zombies" playing in the background. (The Cranberries are Irish, I know, but—it's the same thing basically... right? ...)

When in doubt, though, use the bayonet of discernment and finish off any unwholesome and deluded cultural baggage before its effects can multiply. :thumbsup:
When facing a single tree, if you look at a single one of its red leaves, you will not see all the others. When the eye is not set on any one leaf, and you face the tree with nothing at all in mind, any number of leaves are visible to the eye without limit. But if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there. One who has understood this is no different from Kannon with a thousand arms and a thousand eyes.
— Takuan Sōhō, the Unfettered Mind
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote:Malcolm - are those authentic passages?
Of course.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

Yay or nay, depends on who the practitioner is.

Someone who has not received HYT empowerment - Nay. Why? It will just increase afflictions, and you have no methods to deal with it.
Someone who has received HYT empowerment - Yay. Why? It will increase afflictions, but now you can start to practice methods that deal with it.
A Yogi - Yay. Why? A Yogi can transmute afflictions into wisdoms, thus drinking will accelerate his progress. This is the most beneficial time to drink booze.
An Arya - Maybe. Why? Aryas don't get much out of drinking booze, so it depends on whether drinking booze would set a good example for sentient beings or not.
Telepaths - I like to kill them
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

If it's a nay for Shakyamuni then it's a nay for me.
mossy

Post by mossy »

I was a alcoholic, so I know how addicting alcohol can be. So I have to say nay, but that's just my opinion.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote:

Yes but it is even better if you have the right geomancy...

Either a lake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlMB1LVUJto
Or a field:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q40Ct3IiDAQ

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lounge”