Bugs or People? from War in Buddhism

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Taco_Rice

Re: Bugs or People? from War in Buddhism

Post by Taco_Rice »

boda wrote: I don't know, would you feel responsible for all that? Or is it just an excuse to deliberately exterminate the innocent termite colony? :(
I always sweep crickets outside rather than kill them, or if a water roach makes its way inside, I get a cup and send it on its way with a cigarette and a bit of spare change. But once the bugs make their way into the food or bite someone, that's it. The truth is, you'll do what you have to when you're pressed hard enough. You'll do it or you'll break. When it's you versus them, and they won't compromise and you've had enough, they'll be the ones whose existence is Empty—and you'll do what you have to.

You'll do it and pray that the Buddhas and gods will help you make up for it after it's done and hope you have enough time.

phpBB [video]
When facing a single tree, if you look at a single one of its red leaves, you will not see all the others. When the eye is not set on any one leaf, and you face the tree with nothing at all in mind, any number of leaves are visible to the eye without limit. But if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there. One who has understood this is no different from Kannon with a thousand arms and a thousand eyes.
— Takuan Sōhō, the Unfettered Mind
jundo cohen

Post by jundo cohen »

boda wrote:Don't worry Jundo, I'm just pulling your leg. We all know you could never do anything wrong. :twothumbsup:
Of course I could and sometimes do. And no none of us can and never shall.

I am surprised that Mahayana folks seem to struggle with that.

Gassho, J
Priest/Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha. Treeleaf Zendo was designed as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen Center due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, and seeks to provide Zazen sittings, retreats, discussion, interaction with a teacher, and all other activities of a Zen Buddhist Sangha, all fully online. The focus is Shikantaza "Just Sitting" Zazen as instructed by the 13th Century Japanese Master, Eihei Dogen. http://www.treeleaf.org
Techno Yogi

Post by Techno Yogi »

Taco_Rice wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
When the space aliens come someday, they may exterminate us earthlings in much the same way, as the inconvenience of a less intelligent life form.
Perhaps, like in Childhood's End.
Starship Troopers.
They're coming outta the walls! They're coming outta the goddamn walls!

:guns:
muni

Post by muni »

Well, the Koany aspect is that one might also know that there where no termites to kill from the start, nor separate Jundo to kill them. Nonetheless, we seek to avoid killing.
I guess, this can without experience turn into an idea of nihilism, but it isn't. I am sure all is Compassion, while the emptiness of name and form ..(I cannot find right words, sorry). In fact when there is name and form (as being then entity), there is separation.
"Stop labeling" Guru Rinpoche.

I was in a room and big spiders came from a corner. I discovered a hole in the corner. I had one towel and pushed it on the hole. But the spiders had just fun and climbed on the white wall. I tried to chase them away but they came closer, I reacted by pushing a cushion on one, not wanting to kill but chase away. They kept climbing on the wall and I watched them, feeling bad by pushing that cushion. A fly was dancing around the lamp on the wall. One spider suddenly jumped towards the fly and both died on the hot lamp.
A story of karma; if you want to harm another, you harm yourself. And the coming next days I was scratching my itching skin, since te spiders had not spared me during the night. Meanwhile now I use a pot and piece of hard paper to catch them and put them outside in some leaves or other stuff, to find some protection for the weather.

Even this is dreamlike like all stories in our mind, it shows as long as we have not realized the two truths are not two, there is harm and suffering by karma.
muni

Post by muni »

I am just thinking, in a thought there are bugs and people, bugs and me. There are elephants smoothly fitting like all things in thoughts. And so we are different.
The conventional truth can fit in a thought, the union of conventional-absolute not. Therefore, in nature are not such differentiations as we (thought) know.
boda

Post by boda »

jundo cohen wrote:
boda wrote:Don't worry Jundo, I'm just pulling your leg. We all know you could never do anything wrong. :twothumbsup:
Of course I could and sometimes do.
Get over yourself, I was being sarcastical. :tongue:
I'm thankful when anyone would struggle with exterminating innocent creatures, it shows that they have a conscience.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jundo cohen wrote:

Gassho, J
It is the usual dissonance between the way things appears and the way things are. The former is a result of our karma and afflictions, then latter has nothing to with karma and afflictions.
Taco_Rice

Post by Taco_Rice »

:shock:
phpBB [video]
When facing a single tree, if you look at a single one of its red leaves, you will not see all the others. When the eye is not set on any one leaf, and you face the tree with nothing at all in mind, any number of leaves are visible to the eye without limit. But if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there. One who has understood this is no different from Kannon with a thousand arms and a thousand eyes.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

jundo cohen wrote:
boda wrote:We all know you could never do anything wrong. :twothumbsup:

Well, that's what Zensplaining is for.

:sage:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Taco_Rice

Post by Taco_Rice »

dzogchungpa wrote:
jundo cohen wrote:
boda wrote:We all know you could never do anything wrong. :twothumbsup:

Well, that's what Zensplaining is for.

You and Malcolm are a real couple of psychological Milarapists when you want to be.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Taco_Rice wrote:You and Malcolm are a real couple of psychological Milarapists when you want to be.
Dude, you just totally triggered me!

Anyway, while I can't speak for Malcolm, I tend to think of myself as more of a trollisattva, a trollless troll if you will.

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
jundo cohen

Post by jundo cohen »

dzogchungpa wrote: ... a trollless troll if you will.
Hah! :twothumbsup:

I must remember that for all the Buddhist/Zen "beyond words and letters" internet fora.

Gassho, J
Priest/Teacher at Treeleaf Zendo, a Soto Zen Sangha. Treeleaf Zendo was designed as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen Center due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs, and seeks to provide Zazen sittings, retreats, discussion, interaction with a teacher, and all other activities of a Zen Buddhist Sangha, all fully online. The focus is Shikantaza "Just Sitting" Zazen as instructed by the 13th Century Japanese Master, Eihei Dogen. http://www.treeleaf.org
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

jundo cohen wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote: ... a trollless troll if you will.
Hah! :twothumbsup:

I must remember that for all the Buddhist/Zen "beyond words and letters" internet fora.
Is that a beauty or what?

:focus:
Taco_Rice

Post by Taco_Rice »

dzogchungpa wrote:Anyway, while I can't speak for Malcolm, I tend to think of myself as more of a trollisattva, a trollless troll if you will.
Boys will be void, I suppose.
:focus:
I live in a "stand-your-ground" state... I've always been partial to bees.

Return to “Lounge”