Expressions of Gratitude

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Queequeg
Former staff member

Expressions of Gratitude

Post by Queequeg »

We spend so much time taking things for granted, taking each other for granted, being discouraged by all the things wrong, we forget the wonderful circumstances we do have.

One of my favorite parts of my daily practice are my recollections of good circumstances and affirmations of gratitude - they remind to appreciate what I have in life. I'm also often inspired by other's expressions of gratitude. I thought it might be nice to have a thread that could serve as a repository of our expressions of gratitude. Please share if you feel so inclined or just take what you need.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Expressions of Gratitude

Post by Queequeg »

I'm grateful for my wonderful and supportive wife who fills our home with love.
I'm grateful for my children who inspire wonder and adorn my life with laughter.
I'm grateful for my family and friends who share their joys and tribulations and commiserate with me on this path.
I'm grateful for my professional colleagues who have built our business into a place where we like to work.
I'm grateful for my clients who place their trust in me and give me an opportunity to serve them.
I'm grateful for my neighbors who make our town a diverse and pleasant place to live.
I'm grateful for my fellow citizens who through cooperation have created a society where we are able to pursue dreams and opportunities.
I'm grateful for my fellow beings whose participation in life weaves a wondrous sphere.
I'm grateful for the circumstances of life that afforded me so many freedoms and advantages.
I'm grateful to my parents for providing a home where the Buddha's Pure and Far Reaching Voice reverberated since time immemorial.
I'm grateful to my teachers, including ones who shared as little as one phrase of the Dharma.
I'm grateful to my fellows on the path who share their time and presence and offer encouragement.
I'm grateful to the Buddha and the Buddhas, bodhisattvas, shoten zenjin, and all the beings of the thousandfold trichiliocosm.
I'm grateful to the Buddha Dharma.

I bow three times.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Avatamsaka ch.36
  • All happiness enjoyed by beings:

It is in every case because of the power of Tathāgata’s wondrous virtue.
    It is because of agreeing with the Tathāgata’s teachings.
    It is because of practicing according to the teachings of the Tathāgata.
    It is because of studying the practices of the Tathāgata.
    It is because of acquiring the protective power of the Tathāgata.
    It is because of cultivating the path that has received the seal of the Tathāgata.
    It is because of having good roots like those of the Tathāgata.
    It is because of relying upon the Dharma proclaimed by the Tathāgata.
    It is because of being illuminated by the Tathāgata’s wisdom sun.
    And it is because of being drawn forth by the pure power of the Tathāgata’s karmic works.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

That's ok, but it should be:
I'm grateful to my teachers, including ones who shared as little as one phrase of the Dharma.
I'm grateful to the Buddha and the Buddhas, bodhisattvas, shoten zenjin, and all the beings of the billion world universe.
I'm grateful to the Buddha Dharma.
I'm grateful to my fellows on the path who share their time and presence and offer encouragement.
I'm grateful to my parents for providing a home where the Buddha's Pure and Far Reaching Voice reverberated since time immemorial.
I'm grateful for the circumstances of life that afforded me so many freedoms and advantages.
I'm grateful for my wonderful and supportive wife who fills our home with love.
I'm grateful for my children who inspire wonder and adorn my life with laughter.
I'm grateful for my family and friends who share their joys and tribulations and commiserate with me on this path.
I'm grateful for my neighbors who make our town a diverse and pleasant place to live.
I'm grateful for my clients who place their trust in me and give me an opportunity to serve them.
I'm grateful for my professional colleagues who have built our business into a place where we like to work.
I'm grateful for my fellow citizens who through cooperation have created a society where we are able to pursue dreams and opportunities.

I bow three times.
Ok, now it is perfect, in order of importance. ( I excluded the last line of fellow beings, since they are covered in line two.)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I am grateful to the surgeons who prolonged my precious human birth for a bit longer using techniques that were unknown ten years ago and without which I would not be here.
I am grateful to my mother for giving me that birth and her loving care.
I am grateful to my stepfather for taking me and my siblings on and doing his best to give us a safe and happy home.
I am grateful to my teachers who gave me the context that gives meaning to the above.
I am grateful to my wife, children and grandchildren for putting up with me.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote:
Ok, now it is perfect, in order of importance. ( I excluded the last line of fellow beings, since they are covered in line two.)
:twothumbsup:
Makes perfect sense. I'm grateful, Malcolm.
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

I am grateful to lactobacilii. Without which there would be no yogurt, sourdough bread, or bokashi composting.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I am grateful to the 5 Wisdom Dakinis, masquerading as the 5 elements, which in turn masquerade as me, and you too I imagine. . . and without which nothing would be possible. The collection of which in inconceivable and countless permutations may manifest as the seeming presence of a compassionate motherly force, emanating as our planetary environment which is inseparable from us. I am grateful for all the emanating Wisdom beings, beyond gender or displaying gender it doesn't matter, that have manifested in the past, that will manifest in the future, and especially those that are manifesting now in order to lead us into the realization of the Great Perfection, The Great Seal, The Truth, or whatever label may be placed on this knowing which is beyond all conceptual limitations or projections, insubstantial yet infinite in scope.

I am grateful to all those beings in my life who have immensely frustrated me, caused me harm (intentionally or not, physically or verbally), abused me or caused me various forms of suffering or merely annoyed me: because they have helped me to understand what samsara means, and helped me to develop humility and patience and a healthy dose of renunciation, more firmly rooting me on the path to Buddhahood. This naturally includes my Dharmawheel and Esangha buddies. :tongue:

I am grateful to all those beings who have shown me love and compassion, especially my parents, wife and family. . because without them life would be unbearable.

I could go on and on but it's almost 1am here so. . . I am grateful to my bed for being soft and receptive to me.

:thanks:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

My earworm every morning is a song somebody made on this famous saying by the Dalai Lama:

"Every day think as you wake up:
Today I'm fortunate - I have woken up.
My life is a precious human life -
and I'm not going to waste it.
Ooohh-oooh-ooooh!
"

Edit: I found it on youtube, but the second soprano-line is missing:

phpBB [video]
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

I read this somewhere recently, I'm sorry but I can't remember where but it's certainly not original.
It's not that happy people are grateful.
But grateful people are happy.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

This is a an important thread indeed. I am grateful.
I was just thinking of Shamar Rinpoche's kindness to me when I saw this thread.
Many thanks! :cheers:
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Given Thanksgiving holiday is coming up in the US tomorrow, a teaching on being grateful for life's challenges--not something we are usually grateful for. The first is about a minute and a half; the second is about 22 minutes. Both by the same monk, Gelong Thubten:
How To Feel Thankful In All Circumstances
The Power of Forgiveness

And a little apropos humor to go with that.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

I'm grateful for being alive. I'm grateful for my teacher, who continues to tolerate me, surprise me, and provide training. I'm not the most deserving, but I am in need of this help, and for that I'm grateful.

I'm grateful for the surprises of this life, which just don't stop.

Jake
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Myoho-Nameless wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 pm I am grateful to lactobacilii. Without which there would be no yogurt, sourdough bread, or bokashi composting.
Don't forget kimchi, wouldn't have that without lactobacilii!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Lounge”