Leonardo DiCaprio's new climate doco for free!

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Punya

Leonardo DiCaprio's new climate doco for free!

Post by Punya »

This is the unashamed re-packaging of my last post since I clearly don't know how to sell anything. :emb: I'm seeking the mods indulgence here.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/before-the-flood/

The new documentary Before the Flood, narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, is streaming live for free for a limited time.

My 24 year old son, who has not previously taken any interest in this topic, is now a convert to the cause. He says the doco is presented in a non-boring, understandable way and that it's the first thing like this he's ever shared on Facebook as he generally doesn't like to push his views to others.

Let's hope this new momentum makes politicians everywhere take notice. 

Just one of the stats amongst many: 50% of the world's coral reefs have been lost in the last 30 years!
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Vasana

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio's new climate doco for free!

Post by Vasana »

Here's the YouTube link,

phpBB [video]
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Athough not particularly groundbreaking in it's content, it's an important bit of media I think and I'm glad that Leo uses his celebrity status to bring more awareness to arguably the greatest challenge we as a species and planet face.

I'm not so sure about the film's advocacy of a carbon tax as if that's the silver bullet for reducing emmisions. Silver for the economists for sure. It's possible that it could work for the envirioment in conjunction with other measures but without industrial de-growth, I'm not sure it's enough.
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

When he was talking with obama I did not get the feeling he was buying it.

L D did a great job.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Youtube link that doesn't require signin...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8v1kU7Rc9c4
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Hehe, I wrote a few sentences but deleted it earlier, but, yeah; basically it is very wonderful, and I am very glad - the only thing though is - flying around in a plane is one of the high consumers of energy and in terms of ecological, it's an important one to cut back on. . . anyway

-- Hehe.. ya - anyway I'm rambling but, basically , it's wonderful but there is not much reason to fly. . one can learn from home. :D Etc. . .

But - it's great and so forth, so I am very glad and grateful for people who support and learn and grow and change

(that last one, the most important the last!)

and if Leo is reading this. . .thank you! :D

being non-materialistic, I think, is a very good and key, important aspect of the whole issue.. (Just to add a bit, hopefully good).

:good:

(Good topic!)

May all beings be happy,
May all be healthy;

Peace.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Vasana wrote:Athough not particularly groundbreaking in it's content, it's an important bit of media I think and I'm glad that Leo uses his celebrity status to bring more awareness to arguably the greatest challenge we as a species and planet face.

I'm not so sure about the film's advocacy of a carbon tax as if that's the silver bullet for reducing emmisions. Silver for the economists for sure. It's possible that it could work for the envirioment in conjunction with other measures but without industrial de-growth, I'm not sure it's enough.
Agreed on all points. :smile:

The thing about the carbon tax is that it's a fairly effective and efficient way of imposing a cost on CO2 emitters, and it is therefore one of the few 'free market' ways of encouraging the big emitters to cut back. If it simultaneously provides more money to government and they spend it on mitigation, it is doubly effective.
Fossil fuel producers and power companies, of course, will scream bloody murder at the merest hint of a carbon tax. That, to me, is a sign that it really will work as intended. :twothumbsup:
And it's not unfair, however much they claim it is. All it does is make them pay for (some of) the damage they have done and will do. Relocating coastal cities because of sea level rise won't come cheap. Nor will looking after millions of climate refugees. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern_Review for one serious study of the costs.

:namaste:
Kim
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The one thing that is missing from almost every single discussion on climate change is the effect of the one of the most oil-hungry, destructive, polluting and essentially useless human activities ever: WARFARE.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Grigoris wrote:The one thing that is missing from almost every single discussion on climate change is the effect of the one of the most oil-hungry, destructive, polluting and essentially useless human activities ever: WARFARE.
True. Although i'm sure most enviromentalists who recognize the need for industrial degrowth would include the degrowth of the military industrial complex.

Sadly, 'national security interests' will always be the near unquestionable 'justification'.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

@Grigoris... ya.. depending.!

Whenever I wrote about it, I used to include that there's three main things. . . that is one of them..! I wrote a lot about it a while back; would tend to say - the war machine can be turned off, just like any other machine. Even though it is more complex than a refrigerator, it can be unplugged just the same - and, we are capable of doing so -- and, we will succeed in doing so. For many reasons,. . . basically, countless reasons why we will succeed - but yes, we will succeed.

Yeah- it is kind of like the Dalai Lama said about ending racism, in brief, 'More effort, more love.' But yeah -- it definitely is the most-primary activity we have to overcome; and as is perhaps normal - removing the causes are essential and most effective for removing the results.

The other two are treating other living beings ( animals ) with the love, respect and friendship they deserve ( and are quite capable of experiencing, and returning. . . ) in many cases, with animals such as dogs -- they show us unconditional love, and set a very good example. . . One thing that we can ( with any luck. . . and yes, we are lucky [ :smile: ] ) get people to understand is that not only dogs have these qualities in their basic nature -- pigs of course, are perhaps more intelligent than dogs, and - all of the others, have much more in potential than we are many times aware.

The third is - naturally - achieving a balance and harmony of ecology; that is - halting, and reversing, the current trend of extinction -- as scientists are now more and more agreeing that we are at the beginning of a 6th mass extinction event - so, it's very clear it is of the top importance to change - greatly - our behavior and actions in the ecological system -- the sooner the better - and lay the groundwork for a peaceful tomorrow.

I wrote a few hundred word post yesterday about... similar things, but with religion and so forth, and then the focus on earth, yesterday; but posted it elsewhere as I had just posted on chess here. ... :D

I have in the past written a few about this on here. . . and in most or many of them, I made this same point, that these three factors are inter-related. . . basically parts of one - whole - issue to face / tackle.

One reason, or the most apparent or likely reason, for people to sometimes focus on only one issue is perhaps a focused effort on that particular issue -- so in that case, it does make sense. . .

Anyway :smile:

One of the cool and interesting things I learned about while exploring these topics a while back was "Emergent behavior..." if we have any resident ecologist in the Dharma house, perhaps he or she may share more about it. :)

Otherwise I can simply reference it here:

http://www.worldpopulationbalance.org/c ... ch-ecology

Rex Weyler mentions it here.... (It's nice having a good memory)......(as all do). :smile:

Love and peace :heart:
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Nice article. It's good to stand back and look at the bigger picture sometimes.

:namaste:
Kim
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I saw this one a few months back. Worth watching. It's good to see when people with power and influence use them for good.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Return to “Lounge”