"Ignore" function

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
zangskar

"Ignore" function

Post by zangskar »

If I use this function will the members that I put on the list be informed about it?

I mean other than if I would chose to ignore in case they responded to me in some discussion, which however I am not planning.

Just not wanting to sow any seeds of anger, quite the opposite actually.
Thanks
Lars
mint

Re: "Ignore" function

Post by mint »

But Kevin has so much to inform you about! :lol:
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

I'm not sure...Image

I'll ignore you and then cancel it. We'll find out, I guess. :smile:
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Done.
Have you noticed anything?
zangskar

Post by zangskar »

Nothing happened, so I guess that settles it. Thanks!

By the way to those who didn't try the function, messages still appear from the people you "ignored", you just have to choose to read the contents, so it's not actually so dramatic.

Thanks again
Lars
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

zangskar wrote:Nothing happened, so I guess that settles it. Thanks!

By the way to those who didn't try the function, messages still appear from the people you "ignored", you just have to choose to read the contents, so it's not actually so dramatic.

Thanks again
Lars
Right. You are still alerted that they sent a message, you just have to click to open it if you want. Otherwise, you see a message but the specific contents are hidden from view.

Kevin
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I can't seem to find the ignore feature. I actually would like to use it as well, so could someone help me find it? I was looking for it a while ago but didn't see it so I thought this board didn't have ignore.

EDIT: ha, found it. Didn't think it would be the "add foe" link, but it is.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Yup, that's it.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Really quite funny, especially for those who've taken Bodhisattva vows..... :tongue:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
zangskar

Post by zangskar »

Consider a "foe add" as an admission to oneself that some posters may consistently cause one to become upset, sexually aroused, to fall asleep, to feel clever, or similar negative and uncomfortable mental and physical events.

When a hidden post from a "foe" appears in a discussion one must then consciously make a decision whether or not to read the post, and thereby accept responsibility that whatever feelings, heart rate and blood pressure changes, and unconsciousness results, is of one's own doing. So for the badly afflicted persons reading becomes like a meditation exercise in which the object is not just to read what is written but to mindfully observe one's own mind and reactions at the same time. :)

All this will appear in more detail in my forthcoming paperback The Way of the Mindful Internet Surfer. :meditate:

Best wishes
Lars

P.s. the book bit was a bad joke, not the entirety of the rest of it. :)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Thanks for the laugh...my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek as well... :stirthepot:

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Well if you continue to sticking your tongue in your cheek young man, i will just have to make YOU a foe!
:jedi:
En garde!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

...only if I can have a purple Light Saber. :alien:

muni

Post by muni »

*The free dance of voidness-interdependent appaerances*

"Not mind but not different" Guru Rinpoche.

“My right hand has written all the poems that I have composed. My left hand has not written a single poem. But my right hand does not think, ‘Left Hand, you are good for nothing.’ My right hand does not have a superiority complex. That is why it is very happy. My left hand does not have any complex at all. In my two hands there is the kind of wisdom called the wisdom of nondiscrimination. One day I was hammering a nail and my right hand was not very accurate and instead of pounding on the nail it pounded on my finger. It put the hammer down and took care of my left hand in a very tender way, as if it were taking care of itself. It did not say, ‘Left Hand, you have to remember that I have taken good care of you and you have to pay me back in the future.’ There was no such thinking. And my left hand did not say, “Right Hand, you have done me a lot of harm — give me that hammer, I want justice.’ My two hands know that they are members of one body; they are in each other.”

"When you communicate with compassion, you are using language that does not have the elements of anger and irritation in it.
In this way we can help each other remove wrong perceptions. All the energies of anger, hatred, fear and violence come from wrong perceptions.
Wrong perceptions result in a lot of anger, mistrust, suspicion, hate and terrorism. You cannot remove wrong perceptions through punishment.
You have to do it with the tools of deep and compassionate listening and loving speech. With deep, compassionate listening and loving speech, we can bring harmony to our families, and our communities can become communities of understanding, peace and happiness". By the vietnamese teacher Thich Nhat Hanh :idea:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

The most interesting comments are actually the one who disagree with you and the one who reply in sarcastic way.

The experience is interesting in the sense that you can see what is arising in you and at the same time you can also see how that (sudden) reaction fading away.

We can right from the start see that it doesn't have anything there. There is no point then to associate that arising as something real or something important because we can't find anything there.

It is a very good training method.

When we are good in this training, when bad thing actually happen in daily life, it is more automatic for us to see whatever (sudden) reaction as just a moving clouds.

So this cyber is actually a very good place to do a meditation.

We add foe also no use. We lost the opportunity in fact to train in "extreme" condition.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

There are people who only post in order to attract attention to themselves - it is often the case that what they post is off-topic, aimed at starting a flame war, or just plain nonsense. I am igoring one on Freesangha who replies to my every post, no matter what thread, and still does so even though he knows I am not going to read his nonsense, as I told him so. I think it is no bad thing to tell a member you are ignoring him/her.

We've had a couple of such people on the forums lately and they eventually end up banned for disruption/trolling, but in the meantime the efforts of members to be kind seem to be interpreted as a desire for more and more of their disruption, i.e. feeding their ego.

Why ignore people instead of using them to test your patience, be the object of your compassion etc? I think it is a waste of my time reading their posts and is part of the activity called 'idle chatter', and does nothing for their path or mine.
Left
muni

Post by muni »

If you can help, then help, if not, at least don't harm. In that way ignore-silence can be right compassion. In silence is teaching available, if we can 'listen'.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

zangskar wrote:sexually aroused
giggle

I wasn't aware of any hotties on here

Return to “Lounge”