Martial Arts Talk

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Blue Garuda

Martial Arts Talk

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm

For those who like their Aikido, here's a little clip of some friends, brothers, performing some defence moves against a live tanto (sharp dagger, usually 11 inch blade) as part of a slow demo. Apologies to those without Facebook who may not be able to view it:

I can attest to the practical use of such moves, with the proviso that 'on the street' atemi (striking) would play a huge role. People who criticise Aikido say such things as 'no street thug would let you twist their wrist', which is true - unless you have smashed their eyes (metsubishi) or throat, for example (moves which are practised but rarely shown in a demo as kids DO watch and learn fast. ;) )

The other criticism is that it appears that people are 'jumping', which is unrealisitic. This is actually and escape move. It is used in practice to allow people to apply a lock fully. If the recipient of the lock stood still he would have his bones broken, or the technique would have to be applied very softly - which is not good training practice.

In terms of Buddhism, it is a martial art which does allow for defence which causes pain, sometimes great pain, but does not necessarily cause great or permanent injury.

When attacked with a knife, 'not being there' is also kinda useful.

As for the hyper-aggressive guys, I'm afraid instructors tend to weed them out fast by showing them that if pain leads them to anger then anger leads to more pain. ;)

Morihei Uesiba, the Founder of Aikido was an exceptional human being. In his youth he was immensely strong and his Aikido was 'hell dojo'. With time, he found how to be effective wiht less strength, but even near his death he broke a guy's arm for attacking him too gently. He was into Shinto and I know that our style began each session with breathing meditation and respect to the Kamiza on the shomen wall. He was also associated with Omoto (Oomoto) and that sect's quest for a peaceful society, part of which was to form a sort of 'kibbutz' which sadly failed.

It is one thing for an exceptional human to be a powerful martial artist in their dotage, but ordinary being like me end up busted and riddled with arthritis. Rumour has it that even Steven Seagal is looking a tad slow these days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iJQ8TGY ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EveSqhjwQGE

Oh, this is Seagal using pure Aikido techniques brilliantly. Well, he is a 7th Dan and taught in Japan. There is bad language and violence so turn down the sound or don't watch if you are offended by these things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBrYX-5sK8

To understand how Aikido helps in our everyday lives I recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aikido-Everyday ... 649&sr=8-4
Last edited by Blue Garuda on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left

Blue Garuda

Re: Buddhism and Martial Arts

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Left

Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:09 pm

BG,

I respectfully disagree that those aikido techniques would work against a knife weilding assailant skilled or not, but is highly aggressive. I think way better, realistic and practical methods for dealing with knives are found within knife based systems like Kali....in particular close quarter systems like Pekiti-Tirsia, Sayoc and Atienza kali. Even styles like Krav Maga that claim to have methods to deal with knives are greatly lacking. I think martial artists may enjoy the DVD "Die Less Often" 1 and 2. It gives a very realistic look at how knives fall into the framework martial arts whether it be empty handed, or armed.

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Left

Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Last edited by Blue Garuda on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left

DGA
Former staff member

Re: Martial Arts Talk

Postby DGA » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm following this conversation with interest, as someone who has heretofore relied on footspeed to get out of trouble... and is losing that footspeed due to aging & arthritis... and is likely to be living and working in urban environments until the end.

The vows we take in Tendai-shu prohibit owning or using weapons. I haven't discussed the matter of training with a jo, for instance, with my teacher.

I'm not sure how to work with this situation.

/thinkingoutloud

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Left

Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:23 pm

rory

Postby rory » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 am

JIkan; anything can become a weapon when you're attacked: a book, a pen etc.... I have an agressive personality but no desire to fight. I lived in NYC for many years, was hyper-aware and still got attacked in broad daylight in midtown, winding up with agoraphobia. I took a self-defense class and I'm thinking of Aikido or even Jiu Jitsu. I have no desire to hurt anyone, my ego isn't involved at all, but it is very tiring and fraying for the nerves to be constantly hyper-aware. Living as you do in an urban enviroment you should for your own safety.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:17 am

Left

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:49 am

Attachments
salap fan pla.png
salap fan pla.png (113.02 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
irimi tenkan.jpg
irimi tenkan.jpg (5.8 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Well, I imagine that's just a blaring incidence of attachment. Especially if you consider that I am trained in Escrima too.
:namaste:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:19 pm

DGA
Former staff member

Postby DGA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Back to the walking stick issue from above.

I believe it was Blue Garuda who suggested I use a jo stick or something analogous to that as a cane. Well, I'm not too far removed from needing to walk with a cane due to arthritis and other issues. Like it or not, I have to admit that my appearance would not be made any goofier than it already is if I walked the earth like Gandalf with a stick taller than me. No one would look twice. *I'm from Portland.*

:namaste:

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Last edited by Grigoris on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Return to “Lounge”