Emperor Liang's Repentance

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Alix1112

Emperor Liang's Repentance

Post by Alix1112 »

Hi everyone,

My first post here - I am from Canada's Westcoast and have not been a Buddhist practitioner for very long and am still learning alot of things. I practice Chinese Mahayana Buddhism and took the Three Jewel Refuge only about a few weeks ago. The Ullambana (Ghost) Festival is coming up and our temple is going to be chanting Emperor Liang's Repentence service for it. I was just curious generally about it's history, creation etc - sorry if this is a stupid question!

I know it was created to cleanse the karma of Emperor Liang's consort whom had passed away at a very early age and been reincarnated into a large, foul looking snake with worms literally chewing at it's belly as retribution for abusing her position as an Empress, abusing palace staff and maids, and general bad deeds. The snake one evening was said to have approached the Emperor in his private quarters and explained the situation to him. The Emperor consulted with Ch'an (Zen) Masters following the encounter and he had ten chapters of this repentance text commissioned - after the ceremony was performed, his wife's spirit was successfully released from it's...erm....serpent vessel.

If anyone knows anything more about it, please share! :namaste:
ལྔ་བརྒྱ་ཐ་མར་གྱུར་པ་ན། །
ང་ཉིད་ཡི་གེའི་གཟུགས་སུ་གནས། །
ང་ཡིན་སྙམ་དུ་ཡིད་བྱོས་ལ། །
དེ་ཚེ་དེ་ལ་གུས་པར་གྱིས། །
In the last five hundred year period,
I will appear in the form of scriptures.
Consider them as identical to me,
And treat them with due respect.

- Sakyamuni Buddha
Huifeng

Re: Emperor Liang's Repentance

Post by Huifeng »

Hi,

If you can check out the Yahoo Group site <fgseliturgy> there should be some relevant files there.
You'll have to sign up to become a member, a very quick and easy process.
Don't worry, if you sign up, you won't get spammed. The Group site is presently mainly used as a storage site for such files.

Elsewhere, you can check out my Blog (see signature line below). I don't have the Emperor Liang Repentance on the site, but do have a number of other PDF texts of a range of Chinese liturgical material. Feel free to check it out, and download whatever you may like.

~~ Huifeng
plwk

Post by plwk »

If these are of any assistance...

Liang Huang Jewelled Repentance Ceremony
The Significance of Emperor Liangwu Dharma Assembly and the Importance of Repentance in Buddhism
If you can read Chinese, google for the paper in its original, otherwise, just a short intro in English:
The Imports and Significances of the Dharma-gate of Repentance in Liang Huang Bao Cheng

My personal fav collection, a 20 CD collection chant of the Repentance from Fo Guang Shan, if interested, one can enquire from the local Fo Guang Shan chapters in your country for the collection: Promo Video Sample videos of the Repentance chants

Another sample version, sung & chanted Repentance: Parts 1-10

Addendum:
Sounds of the Dharma: Buddhism and Music
Repentance Practices in Western Buddhist Contexts
The Performance of Buddhist Baiqi in Contemporary Taiwan
The most extensive puja in Chinese Mahayana Buddhism: The Great Festival to Liberate All Beings of Water and Land
plwk

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

Found this recent video of a classical opera play of the Repentance. It's set in the Chinese Fujian dialect but has English subtitles. Enjoy!
Victory543

Post by Victory543 »

Here’s a summary of the main points of each chapter or roll of Liang Huang Bao Chan (the Emperor Liang Repentance).

Chapter One explains the necessity of repentance.
Chapter Two extols the virtue of bringing forth the bodhi resolve (the intention to become enlightened) and exhorts everyone to make vows and to dedicate merit.
Chapter Three explains how current suffering is due to an individual’s previous deeds.
Chapter Four describes the various hells and the deeds that cause beings to fall into the hells.
Chapter Five and Six explain how to dispel enmity and resolve animosity by emulating bodhisattvas (enlightened beings).
Chapter Seven encourages everyone to cultivate by relying on the Three Treasures - the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. Participants also start bowing to the the Buddhas on behalf of heavenly beings, ascetic masters and Brahma kings.
In Chapter Eight participants continue bowing to the Buddhas on behalf of asuras, dragon kings, demon kings, human kings, and other in the human realm.
In Chapter Nine participants continue bowing to the Buddhas on behalf of those in the various hells, the realm of hungry ghosts and those in the animal realm.
In Chapter Ten participants learn about the bodhisattva’s Dharma of dedicating merit and virtue to living beings, sincerely wishing that their vows will be fulfilled and that they will accomplish bodhi.

The Buddhist Text Translation Society (www.buddhisttexts.org) will publish a complete English translation of this book in 2016. The title will be

"Repentance Ritual of the Emperor of Liang: A complete translation of Repentance Dharma of Kindness and Compassion in the Bodhimanda"

ISBN 978-1-60103-087-0 paperback
ISBN 978-1-60103-086-3 ebook
sillyrabbit

Post by sillyrabbit »

Victory543 wrote:
The Buddhist Text Translation Society (http://www.buddhisttexts.org) will publish a complete English translation of this book in 2016. The title will be

"Repentance Ritual of the Emperor of Liang: A complete translation of Repentance Dharma of Kindness and Compassion in the Bodhimanda"

Friendly reminder: it's out now :)

https://smile.amazon.com/Repentance-Emp ... oks&sr=1-1

I can't find the ebook though.

Correction: E-book is coming out in 2017 according to its page here: http://www.buddhisttexts.org/repentance ... liang.html
Namo Amitabha Buddha
:hug:
Benxin

Post by Benxin »

Victory543 wrote:Here’s a summary of the main points of each chapter or roll of Liang Huang Bao Chan (the Emperor Liang Repentance).

Chapter Two extols the virtue of bringing forth the bodhi resolve (the intention to become enlightened) and exhorts everyone to make vows and to dedicate merit.
Chapter Three explains how current suffering is due to an individual’s previous deeds.
Chapter Four describes the various hells and the deeds that cause beings to fall into the hells.
Chapter Five and Six explain how to dispel enmity and resolve animosity by emulating bodhisattvas (enlightened beings).
Chapter Seven encourages everyone to cultivate by relying on the Three Treasures - the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. Participants also start bowing to the the Buddhas on behalf of heavenly beings, ascetic masters and Brahma kings.
In Chapter Eight participants continue bowing to the Buddhas on behalf of asuras, dragon kings, demon kings, human kings, and other in the human realm.
In Chapter Nine participants continue bowing to the Buddhas on behalf of those in the various hells, the realm of hungry ghosts and those in the animal realm.
In Chapter Ten participants learn about the bodhisattva’s Dharma of dedicating merit and virtue to living beings, sincerely wishing that their vows will be fulfilled and that they will accomplish bodhi.

The Buddhist Text Translation Society (http://www.buddhisttexts.org) will publish a complete English translation of this book in 2016. The title will be

Thank You so much for sharing this :bow:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The e-book is Kindle only, so far as I can tell - no PDF or epub.

Also the print book is not free of typos and tangled English, more copyediting needed.

Since it was designed for monastics, lay folk (group or individual) will have to recite it differently in some places.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

An insightful and I think generally true point is brought out in Roll Five that deals with animosity and ending it. The text says that animosity is between kin, blood relatives near and far. So even if foes are not part of one's family in this lifetime, they were in some past one.

Just speculating now, but perhaps the heaviest negative anger karma is between one's immediate family, parents & siblings. That is where the challenge is and if those bad vibes can be cleared away, that will free one from much anger karma.

So if one is blessed with a happy immediate family, then foes are distant and thus weaker points of irritation or anger.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I encourage any lay person to get the book or attend the event if you can. Recite it, in sections because of its length, and adjust the wording for yourself as a lay person (and include all beings with affinities to you). It is powerful and if you are sincere it will benefit you a great deal, not to mention all the other beings that it is designed to help.
Victory543 wrote:Here’s a summary of the main points of each chapter or roll of Liang Huang Bao Chan (the Emperor Liang Repentance).

Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Alix1112 wrote:Hi everyone,

My first post here - I am from Canada's Westcoast and have not been a Buddhist practitioner for very long and am still learning alot of things. I practice Chinese Mahayana Buddhism and took the Three Jewel Refuge only about a few weeks ago. The Ullambana (Ghost) Festival is coming up and our temple is going to be chanting Emperor Liang's Repentence service for it. I was just curious generally about it's history, creation etc - sorry if this is a stupid question!

I know it was created to cleanse the karma of Emperor Liang's consort whom had passed away at a very early age and been reincarnated into a large, foul looking snake with worms literally chewing at it's belly as retribution for abusing her position as an Empress, abusing palace staff and maids, and general bad deeds. The snake one evening was said to have approached the Emperor in his private quarters and explained the situation to him. The Emperor consulted with Ch'an (Zen) Masters following the encounter and he had ten chapters of this repentance text commissioned - after the ceremony was performed, his wife's spirit was successfully released from it's...erm....serpent vessel.

If anyone knows anything more about it, please share! :namaste:
This is incredibly interesting, and thank you for posting about this subject.

I've always imagined that something similar would happen to my first child's mother once she finally passes away. I never imagined that I should repent on her behalf. Maybe I've gotten lazy in my cultivation of compassion—even for those I don't always agree with.

:namaste:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The epub version did come out & is only $5:

https://books.apple.com/us/book/repenta ... 1437735163
His wife, Empress Chi, died a premature death at the age of thirty. She was intensely jealous of and hated the Emperor’s consorts and concubines. Her words and thoughts were as vicious as that of a poisonous snake. Because she harbored so much hatred and anger while alive, she was consequently reborn as a python.

As a python, her spiritual nature was not entirely clouded, and she knew of her karmic causes. In the second year of Emperor Wu’s reign, she appeared in the palace in the form of a python and told the emperor of her suffering as well as her evil karma. She beseeched the emperor to rescue her from her misery. Accordingly the emperor requested the assistance of Chan Master Baozhi and other monks who then compiled this Repentance. This text consists of ten rolls and is based on the essentials of bowing repentances taught in the sutras and vinaya texts. With this text, an assembly of monks set up the Bodhimanda and conducted the Repentance on her behalf.

At the conclusion of the repentance, a person attired in red robes and wearing a high hat suddenly appeared and expressed profound gratitude to the Emperor, “By the power of the Buddhas, I have been liberated from the body of a python. I am about to be reborn in the heavens. Before going, I have come to express my gratitude.”

After that, the person disappeared. From this we can conclude the merit and virtue accrued from this repentance is inconceivable. Since then, the Emperor of Liang Jeweled Repentance has spread throughout the world and is still practiced today.”
From Roll one of the BTTS translation.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This is how it begins:
Listen Attentively

The Emperor of Liang initiates this Repentance;
Maitreya Bodhisattva names it.
Venerable Baozhi compiles it from the sacred Flower Treasury,
With names of Buddhas gathered from the sutras;
Monastics assemble and conduct the Repentance.
This Dharma of Repentance is proclaimed vastly.
The Repentance originates from a dreamlike encounter by the Emperor of Liang,
And it results in clouds of auspiciousness welling forth around the palace.

Within the Bodhimanda,

Glittering lanterns shining everywhere;
Golden flames ever illuminating;
Fragrant incense enveloping the palace;
Exquisite flowers adorning in many layers.
In the white clouds and blue sky, appears an adorned celestial being,
Before the white jade staircase, Chi is liberated from her suffering.
By the merit and virtue of this Repentance,
Calamities are quelled and offenses eradicated.
Calamities quelled, auspiciousness descends;
Offenses eradicated, blessings sprout forth.
A good medicine it is, curing illnesses;
A bright light it is, dispelling darkness.
Benefitting the nine states of existence,
Blessing the four kinds of birth.
Boundless is its merit and virtue,
Beyond praise or exaltation!
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

From the Foreword, page ix-x:
As the Repentance of Emperor Liang unfolds, this powerful energy can be channelled into severing doubts, repenting for deeds done, bringing forth the resolve for bodhi, making significant vows, aiding beings in many realms, and dedicating the merit of all this to peace for the world and well-being for all inhabitants of it.

As this energy created by the performance of the Repentance pulsates outward and onward, repentance participants are invigorated and the effectiveness of repentance becomes a practical reality, not only within the confines of the assembly, but extending throughout the cosmos as far as the minds of the participants can reach-- for the betterment of all. Thus, the actual experience of bowing the Repentance provides the very best affirmation of faith possible! I trust you will join one soon and see for yourselves.

Bhikshuni Heng Chih
On Ullambana and the Buddhas’ Happy Day
August 17, 2016
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Repentance is emphasized in Mahayana Buddhism, in texts such as the Avatamsaka Sutra. This Dharma exhorts everyone to repent of all offenses and reform in order to eradicate karma, thus clearing obstructions and paving the way for advancement in the spiritual path.
This particular repentance was designed to be practiced in a monastery with bhikshus or bhikshunis (monks or nuns) leading the assembly to repent in a week-long ceremony.
The repentance text is divided into forty sections grouped into ten chapters. Each chapter starts with a verse of praise, the cantor (bhikshu or bhikshuni that leads the chanting) exhorting the assembly to listen respectfully and a formal commencement of the repentance by bowing to the six Buddhas of the past, Shakyamuni Buddha, and the future Maitreya Buddha. The main part of each chapter contains sections of texts explaining the principles of repentance interspersed with bowing in full prostration (head, hands and knees to the ground) to various Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.
Page xii
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The main points of each chapter are as follows:

Chapter Seven encourages everyone to cultivate by relying on the Three Treasures - the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. Participants also start bowing to the Buddhas on behalf of heavenly beings, ascetic masters and Brahma kings.

In Chapter Eight participants continue bowing to the Buddhas on behalf of asuras, dragon kings, demon kings, human kings, and others in the human realm.

Pages xii-xiii
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Whether one attends a Repentance event at a monastery, or recites some of it alone or with friends, this text is still filled with Mahayana Bodhicitta inspiration. So many passages are worthy of meditation, for example:
One body transforms and responds universally to the lands of the ten directions.
One sound proclaims the Dharma; all beings hear it – humans, heavenly beings, and the rest of the three realms.
One path and One gateway enable all, unobstructed, to transcend oceans of samsara.
One Attribute and One Flavor enable one to ascend the summit of Nirvana on the Perfect and Direct Teaching of the One Vehicle.
Like the moon reflecting in a thousand rivers, the Dharma is taught according to the capacities of beings.
Like spring returning to earth, sages respond to beings accordingly.
They universally engage all beings throughout the Dharma Realm, while seated in each and every Bodhimanda.
Page 9
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

One small defect in our diseased eyes causes us to see a labyrinth of flowers in empty space. One small rise in the ocean causes waves to roll and churn in the stormy ocean of delusion. We have long been going against the samadhi of One Reality. Our single thought of ignorance has let loose all reins, causing our minds to be filled with the three poisons, resulting in our creating myriad forms of karma. This opens up the doors to the eighty-four thousand defiling passions, and gives rise to the hundreds of thousands of obstacles of afflictions. Like a wild and unrestrained elephant, we indulge in desires. Like a moth flying into fire, we chase after illusory conditions. Our offenses accumulate as high as mountains and our karma runs as deep as the ocean. With such scant roots of goodness, we fear we will not be able to escape our evil retributions.

Let us now be diligent in our mindfulness and rectify our thoughts. Externally, we rely on the sublime conditions of this wonderful bowing ceremony; internally, we feel deep shame and remorse. We gather together in this present pure assembly to chant this efficacious repentance. By relying on the awesome light of thousands of Buddhas, we cleanse our offenses of defilements which we have accumulated through many lives. We pray all Buddhas will take pity on us. We now respectfully bow to the Greatly Compassionate One to invisibly protect us.
Pages 9-10
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

plwk wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:46 am
phpBB [video]

Found this recent video of a classical opera play of the Repentance. It's set in the Chinese Fujian dialect but has English subtitles. Enjoy!
This opera is one of the best things I have ever encountered on DharmaWheel. When the Empress goes to hell, King Yama threatens her with the seventh hell, a level of hell so brutal that "the soul can never escape back into the cycle of transmigration" (paraphrase). Just think about that for a moment.

:spy: :meditate:
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The words “Kindness and Compassion in the Bodhimanda” were chosen for the title of this repentance due to a response in a dream. Maitreya, the World-Honored, replete with great kindness and compassion extending to the end of time, bequeathed the title of this repentance. This was how the title was established. We do not dare change the title.

Relying on the strength of the kindness of the World-Honored One, we resolve to protect the Three Treasures, eclipse the power of demons, and humble those with arrogance and overweening pride. We also resolve to cause those who have not planted roots of goodness to do so, and cause the roots of goodness already planted to flourish. We further resolve to cause those who cling to the notion of attainment and who dwell in various views to aspire for transcendence. Finally, we resolve to enable those who delight in the Small Vehicle not to doubt the Mahayana, and to cause those who delight in the Mahayana to be joyous.

Furthermore, compassion reigns supreme among all goodness and serves as the sanctuary for all living beings. Like the sun which lights up the day and the moon which illuminates the night, it guides us like eyes or teachers, and cares for us like parents or siblings. Drawing all of us back to the Bodhimanda, it serves as a true spiritual mentor.

Kindness and compassion connect with us in a way deeper than that of the relationship with our blood relatives. It accompanies us life after life and never leaves us even after death. Therefore, we take it to heart and use “Kindness and Compassion” as the title of this Repentance.

Today in this Bodhimanda, we, both visible and invisible beings, gather to establish this Repentance and bring forth the resolve for bodhi.
Page 11-12

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”