pre-Buddhism?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Konchog1

Re: pre-Buddhism?

Post by Konchog1 »

Huifeng wrote:
philji wrote:There has been some talk here about reincarnation being introduced into Hinduism BT Buddhism. however ado not the Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita pre date Buddhism? These texts specifically teach the concept of an atman reincarnating. The Buddhist view of course is very different.
Most of the Upanisads (possibly a couple of exceptions) and the Gita are post-Buddhist, despite their own claims to be incredibly ancient.

~~ Huifeng
I thought the Upanishads were the Vedic response to Buddhism. Is this right?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
philji

Post by philji »

There is no clear evidence of the dating of the Early Upanishands.,however it is fairly. Likely that that they came into existence over a long period of t,e. they were taught in seclusion in hermitages quite remote from each other, and of course being an oral tradition it would have been some time before they were committed to written form.
http://www.ancient.eu.com/Upanishads/
The Upanishads are not strictly speaking Vedic in the strict sense, the Vedic hymns were more concerned with the sciences of medicine, astrology, and others and of course focused n ritual to appease the gods.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Konchog1 wrote:
Huifeng wrote:
philji wrote:There has been some talk here about reincarnation being introduced into Hinduism BT Buddhism. however ado not the Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita pre date Buddhism? These texts specifically teach the concept of an atman reincarnating. The Buddhist view of course is very different.
Most of the Upanisads (possibly a couple of exceptions) and the Gita are post-Buddhist, despite their own claims to be incredibly ancient.

~~ Huifeng
I thought the Upanishads were the Vedic response to Buddhism. Is this right?
I am not sure. I haven't heard this view before, but that isn't saying much!
Some of them could be, but that would more likely be the later ones.
Because the early ones are around the start of Buddhism itself,
when Buddhism was still rather a minor influence in the bigger picture.
There are a lot of upanisads, so it may be difficult to generalize.

~~ Huifeng

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”