Bright Dawn: American Buddhism, Oneness Buddhism

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DGA
Former staff member

Bright Dawn: American Buddhism, Oneness Buddhism

Post by DGA »

http://www.brightdawn.org/

A friend of mine has mentioned an interest in practicing with this group. I'm completely ignorant of their teachings, practices, approach... all of it. From what I've read online very briefly it appears they are striving to reach laypeople by a variety of different means, include a "dial-the-dharma" toll-free number.

I would like to know if anyone here has any first-hand insights into this group, its leadership, and its style of practice. Perhaps they're onto something valuable?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Bright Dawn: American Buddhism, Oneness Buddhism

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Their founder looks all right - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyomay_Kubose

:coffee:
Kim
matthewmartin

Post by matthewmartin »

Reading their recommended practices documents, it seems it shares some characteristics of Kamakura "single-practice" Buddhism. Except instead of chanting or sitting, the central practice is Gassho.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

matthewmartin wrote:Reading their recommended practices documents, it seems it shares some characteristics of Kamakura "single-practice" Buddhism. Except instead of chanting or sitting, the central practice is Gassho.
Given that the current head of BrightDawn Sangha; Rev Koyo Kubose, trained in Jodo Shin Shu, Japanese Soto Zen, and Japanese Rinzai Zen - all of which are Kamakura era schools of Japanese Buddhism, the identification with Kamakura "single-practice" Buddhism is correct. The practice of gassho (ie 21-day Daily Gassho) is more of a starter practice to introduce people to daily practice. Bright Dawn as a whole tries to remain nonsectarian with the common ground of the lay minister training program, yet keep the actual practice methods separate. So there are Bright Dawn ministers with a Zen practice, others with a Jodo Shin Shu practice, and at least even one lay minister who also trains in Tibetan Vajrayana - yet they all come together to speak "nonsectarian language" in regards to the BrightDawn Sangha as a whole. Like 2 layers of teaching I guess you could say.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

I've thought about someday becoming ordained as a minister's assistant in the Buddhist Churches of America, but maybe I could someday be ordained as a lay minister in Bright Dawn Buddhism instead. Thank you for the information.
http://www.brightdawn.org/layministerprogram.html
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

I think I like these folks. :mrgreen:

phpBB [video]

I like that idea mentioned in the Wikipedia article about Buddhism being a personal journey versus a communal event or "culture club," too.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”