The four tens in Brahma Net Sutra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
matthewmartin

The four tens in Brahma Net Sutra

Post by matthewmartin »

Can anyone recommend either the original sutra sources or a book/exposition for 4 tens in the BNS--the ten initial states, ten developmental stages, ten diamond stages, and ten grounds (Bhumis)? (Maybe they go by other names?)

I'm reading Martine Batchelor's commentary-- she dedicates 3 pages to the 4 tens, and the BNS itself only refers to them & assumes the reader is familiar with what they are and entail.

Wikipedia has the Bhumis, but not the first 30, ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_ ... _tradition
Aemilius

Re: The four tens in Brahma Net Sutra

Post by Aemilius »

You can look into the Avatamsaka sutra, the Flower Ornament Scripture and its commentaries, and the Hua Yen Buddhism. They have 10 Abodes, 10 Practices, 10 Treasures, 10 Dedications, and 10 Stages or Bhumis. Thus they have 50 stages, plus the levels of the Three Kayas, which makes 53 stages. According to some commentaries it makes even more stages.
I don't know if there are traditional commentaries of the Brahma Net Sutra in english.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
matthewmartin

Re: The four tens in Brahma Net Sutra

Post by matthewmartin »

Thanks, just went to amazon and fetched those for my kindle.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”