still new...questions on mindstream

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
twiz

still new...questions on mindstream

Post by twiz »

I'm so incredibly new to all of this. The more I learn and practice, the more questions I have.

How do you know the difference between a random/coincidental dream vs one with meaning. Is it possible for a lama/rinpoche who you may or may not know to enter your dreams? How would they do this? Especially one you have been in close proximity with, but never met.

I apologize if this is a dumb question. Maybe in time it will make sense to me. I've had what seemed like vivid dreams that included a rinpoche who gently introduced me to this path. Recently a dream involved a very high lama/rinpoche. I feel incredibly blessed. But also in my skeptisism I am trying to make sense of it.

Thank you
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: still new...questions on mindstream

Post by catmoon »

These things do happen. Keep your eyes peeled for an opportunity to meet this Rinpoche and if it arises, grab it.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I had a dream where everything suddenly became dark and there was no one around I was scared. I recited a Bodhisattva and saw the bright moon and image of Bodhisattva. Then next, I realized I was in a dream. Lucid dream.
It’s eye blinking.
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

twiz wrote:I'm so incredibly new to all of this. The more I learn and practice, the more questions I have.

How do you know the difference between a random/coincidental dream vs one with meaning. Is it possible for a lama/rinpoche who you may or may not know to enter your dreams? How would they do this? Especially one you have been in close proximity with, but never met.

I apologize if this is a dumb question. Maybe in time it will make sense to me. I've had what seemed like vivid dreams that included a rinpoche who gently introduced me to this path. Recently a dream involved a very high lama/rinpoche. I feel incredibly blessed. But also in my skeptisism I am trying to make sense of it.

Thank you
They can't enter your dreams. You have to dream of them. It may be that you have an interest in finding out what this particular lama is about. So find out.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Andrew108 wrote:
twiz wrote:I'm so incredibly new to all of this. The more I learn and practice, the more questions I have.

Thank you
They can't enter your dreams. You have to dream of them. It may be that you have an interest in finding out what this particular lama is about. So find out.

You have no idea whether they can enter your dreams or not.

I have very good reason to suspect that they can and do.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

twiz wrote:But also in my skeptisism I am trying to make sense of it.
I reckon it is more important to try and make sense of your skepticism first coz it seems to me that this is the true source of your anguish. ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Simon E. wrote:
Andrew108 wrote:

Thank you

You have no idea whether they can enter your dreams or not.

I have very good reason to suspect that they can and do.
They do. But we also have many teachers connected to us via our karma, so it may not always be the same one.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

twiz wrote: Is it possible for a lama/rinpoche who you may or may not know to enter your dreams? How would they do this? Especially one you have been in close proximity with, but never met.

Thank you
Hmmm... I get this odd feeling that Malcolm would know the answer to this one. One sec.....

HEY MALCOLM YOU THERE?

Hmmmm,,, nope, guess he must be off journeying in the higher realms again. Drat.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

twiz wrote: I've had what seemed like vivid dreams that included a rinpoche who gently introduced me to this path. Recently a dream involved a very high lama/rinpoche. I feel incredibly blessed.
It means you should make an effort to meet this teacher.
krodha

Post by krodha »

Simon E. wrote:I have very good reason to suspect that they can and do.
Some definitely can.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

What does it mean if you regularly dream of teachers that you have received empowerments and teachings from, if anything?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
twiz

Post by twiz »

Sherab Dorje wrote:I reckon it is more important to try and make sense of your skepticism first coz it seems to me that this is the true source of your anguish. ;)
Point well taken! :smile:
Though I'm not sure if I am feeling anquish over it. More curious as to how/if/why it is possible. Investigating and hoping to gain a little understanding.
Malcolm wrote:It means you should make an effort to meet this teacher
That is not likely to happen. But one never knows.
My community was very fortunate to have this Rinpoche visit and stay in the area for awhile, as well as offer some teachings and empowerments. At one point I wanted to connect with him because we shared a similar traumatic experience. I was hoping he could shed some light on how he dealt with the aftermath in such a graceful manner. When I realized the status of this Rinpoche (remember, this is all pretty new to me...still learning who is who), I knew it would be unlikely to meet with him. Just observing was enough to bring about most of the answers I was looking for. And the rest of the questions, I now realize those answers are really inside me.

In the last puja he led, I somehow ended up being the only person in his direct view. This was the day after my dream. It was a very powerful few hours. I am extremely grateful to have had the experience.
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

twiz wrote:How do you know the difference between a random/coincidental dream vs one with meaning. Is it possible for a lama/rinpoche who you may or may not know to enter your dreams? How would they do this? Especially one you have been in close proximity with, but never met.
I believe dreams are the minds way of making sense of our daily life and desires.
And that there are no random or coincidental dreams.
The meaning of the dream is a different issue (of which I know no answers).

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”