Avalokiteshvara

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Butifulmoonbeam

Avalokiteshvara

Post by Butifulmoonbeam »

:hi:
I have chosen Avalokiteshvara as my Bodhisattva and it is he in the four arm form that I have on my alter. I have since learned of his chant om mani padme hum but would also like to find other texts, chants or sutras that I can read aloud after my meditation and further study on him and his alter egos, Kwan Yin, Manjursai, (others?)

Anyone currently working with Avalokiteshvara?
Any resources, online or otherwise, that would be beneficial in my practice?
Any suggestions on ways to improve my Bodhisattva practice?

Any words are welcomed and appreciated.

:thanks:
Be the silent watcher of your thoughts and behavior. You are beneath the thinker. You are the stillness beneath the mental noise. You are the love and joy beneath the pain.
Eckhart Tolle
Losal Samten

Re: Avalokiteshvara

Post by Losal Samten »

Mani Kabum
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

The universal door chapter of the lotus sutra is commonly chanted in Chinese monasteries, albeit in Chinese. Here is the English translation from the sagely city of 10 000 Buddhas: http://www.cttbusa.org/lotus/lotus25.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The great compassion mantra is also connected to Guan Yin.

Manjushri is not one if his forms. Additionally, I believe chanting his name, Namo Guan Shi Yin Pu'sa, is a method for entering the western pure land.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
Butifulmoonbeam

Post by Butifulmoonbeam »

Thank you yan kong and mothers lap. I will check out both suggestions.
Be the silent watcher of your thoughts and behavior. You are beneath the thinker. You are the stillness beneath the mental noise. You are the love and joy beneath the pain.
Eckhart Tolle
_Q_

Post by _Q_ »

In the Tibetan tradition Avalokitesvara is known as Chenrezig. http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/chen-re-zig.htm

In the Zen tradition the female form is known as Kanon http://www.sfzc.org/zc/display.asp?cati ... ageid=4161
Sentient beings are numberless, I vow to free them.
Delusions are inexhaustible, I vow to transform them.
The Dharmas are boundless, I vow to embody them.
The Buddha Way is unsurpassable, I vow to follow it.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Totally read the 25th chapter of the lotus sutra. It explains a lot about Avalokitishvara
Master HsingYun wrote an excellent commentary on it if you want to get a great book to read.

Also the great commpassion mantra is really great
http://www.gbm-online.com/online/dharma/sincere.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gbm-online.com/online/dharma/reciteg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.longbeachmonastery.org/CTTB_ ... ndbook.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See page 32 and 173

Om Mani Padme Hum

Namo Guan Shi Yin PuSa
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In http://www.fodian.net/world/index.html
you can find a Karanda vyuha sutra translation, with the title Buddha Spoken Mahayana Sublime Treasure King Sutra (No. 1050)
Great Compassion Dharani Sutra (No. 1060)
and Amogha Pasha Hrdaya Dharani Sutra (No. 1094),
that are related to Avalokiteshvara

There is also a gallery of images of Avalokiteshvara;
behind each title or image there are more images of that particular form of Avalokiteshvara
http://www.fodian.net/world/gwoonyarm/imagesa.html
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo
Chapters 24 and 25 of the Lotus Sutra are worth a read.
Maybe even the Heart Sutra?
Namu Myoho Renge Kyo
:bow:
南無妙法蓮華経
Anders

Post by Anders »

The chapter dedicated to him in the lotus and in particular the Kāraṇḍavyūha Sūtra, which among other things introduces Om Mani Padme Hum, are the primary sources on him that I'd say all devotees should be familiar with.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In Mahavastu there are two sutras that are called the First Avalokita sutra and the Second Avalokita Sutra, their subject is the life of Buddha Shakyamuni, but the names are interesting.
In Samdhinirmocana sutra (Wisdom of Buddha) the ninth chapter is Questions of Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara.
In Gandhavyuha sutra, that is part of Avatamsaka sutra, Avalokiteshvara has a chapter as the 27th teacher of the Youth Sudhana.

There is a series of 108 forms of Avalokiteshvara, whose names and images can be found in Benoytosh Bhattacharyya's Indian Buddhist Iconography.
There is a thanka image of the 108 forms also in http://www2.fodian.net/world/gwoonyarm/more/morea.html
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Nirveda

Post by Nirveda »

This is a fascinating history on Avalokiteshvara/Kuan Yin: The Kuan Yin Chronicles: The Myths and Prophecies of the Chinese Goddess of Compassion
http://www.amazon.com/The-Kuan-Yin-Chro ... 1571746080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not much help in terms of practice, but interesting.
Hickory Mountain

Post by Hickory Mountain »

The Sukhvativyuha Sutra might be worth looking through, Avolakitesvara is seated at the side of Amitabha and described there in great detail. Specifically, he is described in section 18 in this translation. (The sutra in question starts on page 89)
Namo Amitabha
Paul

Post by Paul »

The Sutra of the Heart of the
Glorious Lady Prajnaparamita

Thus have I heard. Once the Bhagavan was residing on Vulture Flock Mountain in Rajagrha together with a great assembly of fully ordained monks and a great assembly of bodhisattvas. At that time the Bhagavan entered the samadhi of the enumerations of phenomena called "perception of the profound." At the same time noble Avalokitesvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, while practising the profound prajnaparamita, saw the following: he saw the five skandhas to be empty of nature.
Then, through the power of the Buddha, venerable Sariputra spoke thus to noble Avalokitesvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva: "How should a son of noble family or a daughter of noble family train who wishes to practice the profound prajnaparamita?"
Noble Avalokitesvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, said to venerable Sariputra, "O Sariputra, a son of noble family or a daughter of noble family who wishes to practice the profound prajnaparamita should see in this way: they see the five skandhas to be empty of nature. Form is emptiness; emptiness also is form. Emptiness is no other than form; form is no other than emptiness. In the same way, feeling, discrimination, formation, and consciousness are emptiness. Thus, Sariputra, all phenomena are emptiness, without characteristics, without arising, without ceasing, without stain, not without stain, without decrease, and without increase.
“Therefore, Sariputra, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling, no discrimination, no formation, no consciousness; no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no form, no sound, no smell, no taste, no tangible object, no phenomenon; no eye dhatu up to no mind dhatu, no dhatu of phenomena, no mental consciousness dhatu; no ignorance, no termination of ignorance up to no ageing and death and no termination of ageing and death; no suffering, no origin, no cessation, no path, no wisdom, no attainment, and no non-attainment
"Therefore, Sariputra, since bodhisattvas have no attainment, they abide by relying on prajnaparamita. Since their minds are without obscuration, they have no fear. Having fully transcended delusion, they attain complete nirvana. All the buddhas who abide in the three times fully awaken to unsurpassable completely perfect enlightenment by relying on prajnaparamita.
"Therefore, the great mantra of prajnaparamita, the mantra of great insight, the unsurpassed mantra, the mantra equal to the unequalled, the mantra that calms all suffering, should be known to be true since it is undeceiving. The prajnaparamita mantra is said as follows:

OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA

"In this way, Sariputra, bodhisattva mahasattvas should train in the
profound prajnaparamita."
Then the Bhagavan rose from that samadhi and spoke to noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, "Well done! Good, good, O son of noble family. Thus it is, O son of noble family, thus it is. One should practice the profound prajnaparamita just as you have taught and the tathagatas will rejoice."
When the Bhagavan had said this, venerable Sariputra and noble Avalokitesvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, all those surrounding them, and the world with its gods, humans, asuras, and gandharvas rejoiced and praised the words of the Bhagavan.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
lorem

Post by lorem »

Karma Chagmé, a Spacious Path to Freedom

In the Tibetan tradition. Has some Avalokiteshvara visualizations, mainly mahāmudrā-atiyoga material--somewhat of a learning curve. Can always plant the seed for the future.
I should be meditating.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Sentient beings, our very own mothers, are as limitless as space—
In the precious lama, who is a buddha, all of us take refuge.
In the Buddha, Dharma and Saṅgha, we take refuge.
In the lamas, yidam deities and ḍākinīs, we take refuge.
In the dharmakāya, the inseparable emptiness and clarity of our own minds, we take refuge.

This prayer carries the blessing of Avalokiteśvara, who transmitted it to Chöje Kangapa and told him to give it to Gelong Tsöndru Zangpo (Thangtong Gyalpo), saying that if he taught it to the people of this world, it would dispel all sickness, negative influences and obstacles right now, and then also grant protection from the lower realms. Virtue!
I should be meditating.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”