Dharma Cultures, Collaboration, Correction Ad-Hoc Sundry &c

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Bakmoon

Re: Dharma Cultures, Collaboration, Correction Ad-Hoc Sundry

Post by Bakmoon »

Sherab Dorje wrote:And I don't disagree fundamentally with the "However..." except to say that anger (or mind states informed by anger) can also be a motivating factor for behaviour that leads to positive outcomes. Anger at the treatment of racial minorities, leading to civil rights movements (both violent and non-violent), which gave rise to legislation banning the expression of racism and racist acts is an example which comes to mind. I am sure you can think of others.
I respectfully disagree. Anger is one of the Kleshas, and one of the three poisons. It might lead to worldly change but is spiritually damaging and should not be cultivated. If we look at many of the great champions of justice such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or Mahatma Gandhi we find that they were moved not by anger but by compassion. Compassion can give a strength that is just as effective at creating change as anger, and gives people the persistence to keep going when anger would just collapse into vengeance or bitterness, and of course, compassion is a wholesome quality of mind which leads to great spiritual benefit.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Sherab Dorje wrote:And I don't disagree fundamentally with the "However..." except to say that anger (or mind states informed by anger) can also be a motivating factor for behaviour that leads to positive outcomes. Anger at the treatment of racial minorities, leading to civil rights movements (both violent and non-violent), which gave rise to legislation banning the expression of racism and racist acts is an example which comes to mind. I am sure you can think of others.
I think you are absolutely right about anger as a motivator. The problem does not lie in *feeling* anger, particularly at injustice. The problem comes in acting on that anger. The civil rights movement, Indian independence movement, later South African anti-apartheid movement, etc. were effective precisely because they did not act out of anger but out of kindness and a desire to peacefully resolve bad situations.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Bakmoon wrote:If we look at many of the great champions of justice such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or Mahatma Gandhi we find that they were moved not by anger but by compassion.
Yes well, Martin Luther King... Black Panthers? Nation of Islam? George Jackson? etc...

Before Gandhi arrived on the scene (1915) there had already been a rising tide of rebellions and movements against British colonial rule starting WAY back in the late 1700's. Believing that Gandhi ended British rule is like believing that the US ended World War II.

Alongside every Jesus you will find a Barabas.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Bakmoon wrote:If we look at many of the great champions of justice such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or Mahatma Gandhi we find that they were moved not by anger but by compassion.
Yes well, Martin Luther King... Black Panthers? Nation of Islam? George Jackson? etc...

Before Gandhi arrived on the scene (1915) there had already been a rising tide of rebellions and movements against British colonial rule starting WAY back in the late 1700's. Believing that Gandhi ended British rule is like believing that the US ended World War II.

Regardless, from a Buddhist perspective to act out of anger is to act from a poisoned mental state regardless of the other aspects of the intention or outcome.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Paul wrote:Regardless, from a Buddhist perspective to act out of anger is to act from a poisoned mental state regardless of the other aspects of the intention or outcome.
Well, I dunno... seems to me that in the Vajrayana we talk about transforming anger into discriminative wisdom rather than just saying: "Eeeeeek... look! Nasty poison anger! Run away, run away!" From a Theravada view, yes, but from a Vajrayana view...

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

It isn't the anger that creates the positive outcomes in those situations though, it is the anger being channeled or transformed into something akin to a kind of secular "social Bodhicitta". Those situations are a perfect example of more enlightened thinking benefiting beings. They could (and have) just as easily been situations where the anger gets expressed in behavior that is destructive to all. So yeah, all that says is that there are skillful means to transform anger, not that anger is good.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Paul wrote:Regardless, from a Buddhist perspective to act out of anger is to act from a poisoned mental state regardless of the other aspects of the intention or outcome.
Well, I dunno... seems to me that in the Vajrayana we talk about transforming anger into discriminative wisdom rather than just saying: "Eeeeeek... look! Nasty poison anger! Run away, run away!" From a Theravada view, yes, but from a Vajrayana view...
Yes, I know that. But in this case it is transformed into wisdom - not just left as plain old anger. And I really don't see that on the internet. It takes considerable insight to do this for oneself at all effectively, and it is monumentally harder to do so when talking to someone who is basically a stranger through the limited bandwidth of a forum. I have known plenty of teachers who can be wrathful with longer-time students, but they hold back with complete newcomers as it is very, very rarely appropriate. Considering how easy it is to fool oneself with this it is surely better to be restrained and play it safe.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Paul wrote:It takes considerable insight to do this for oneself at all effectively...
I ain't gonna disagree.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Paul wrote:It takes considerable insight to do this for oneself at all effectively...
I ain't gonna disagree.

If one wants a yardstick or means of measuring whether Anger is transformed into wisdom, one can examine the results of actions as one method.

Wisdom benefits sentient beings. Anger harms them. It's a fair bet that if someone doesn't benefit from an action, or feels hurt by an action of body, speech, or mind, then wisdom has not entered the picture. We can see this play out on Dharma fora. In a sense, this whole thread is an illustration. There is some wisdom here, I think. One must separate it from actions motivated by anger.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
SeekerNo1000003

Post by SeekerNo1000003 »

conebeckham wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:
Paul wrote: If one wants a yardstick or means of measuring whether Anger is transformed into wisdom, one can examine the results of actions as one method.
Wisdom benefits sentient beings. Anger harms them. It's a fair bet that if someone doesn't benefit from an action, or feels hurt by an action of body, speech, or mind, then wisdom has not entered the picture.
This is a good point. However, it is not so simple in practice. The same message may benefit some and harm others. Much depends on the listener.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

SeekerNo1000003 wrote:
This is a good point. However, it is not so simple in practice. The same message may benefit some and harm others. Much depends on the listener.
Indeed. And this is why the Buddha's words could be heard differently by different students. Here, on the internet, though, words are the same--and tone is notoriously tricky. Perhaps this is why we must be even more diligent in our communications, to avoid the angry tone, the belligerent voice. Then again, maybe someone else DOES benefit.......I doubt it, though.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
SeekerNo1000003

Post by SeekerNo1000003 »

conebeckham wrote:
SeekerNo1000003 wrote:
Indeed. And this is why the Buddha's words could be heard differently by different students. Here, on the internet, though, words are the same--and tone is notoriously tricky. Perhaps this is why we must be even more diligent in our communications, to avoid the angry tone, the belligerent voice. Then again, maybe someone else DOES benefit.......I doubt it, though.
Yes, I agree. This is a wonderful opportunity to practice diligence! I will try to be more diligent in answering and listening.

There is one more point to consider though & this is that straight-to-the-point answers may sometimes be misinterpreted as angry or intended to upset... and yet some of us may find them effective for learning. I do. I feel sorry for the person who exhibits such style of communication :) (I enjoy it, but it must be a real pain). What can such a person do?
Last edited by SeekerNo1000003 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Sherab Dorje wrote:

Did such violent groups exist? Yes. Is their example to be followed? I think the answer is clearly no.
Sherab Dorje wrote:Well, I dunno... seems to me that in the Vajrayana we talk about transforming anger into discriminative wisdom rather than just saying: "Eeeeeek... look! Nasty poison anger! Run away, run away!" From a Theravada view, yes, but from a Vajrayana view...
To even speak of anger as being something to be transformed into something else still means that anger is to be overcome, does it not? The method of overcoming it might be different, but it is still something to be overcome rather than something to be cultivated, correct?

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”