Will Karma always Ripen?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Pringle

Will Karma always Ripen?

Post by Pringle »

Just as the quesiton says, I am wondering if all Karma will always ripen eventually, either in this life or a future life? I have read that the 3 things Karma needs to ripen, i) Karmic action ii) The right conditions for action to ripen iii) a deluded mind (heres a link to what I mean http://viewonbuddhism.org/karma.html ) but I wondering that if all those 3 conditions are there will Karma still always come to fruition? Also does Karma need all those requirements for it to come about?

Another thing I'd like to ask about is a comment I read some where that said 'Karma is not reliant on the doctrine of rebirth'. I disagree with this statement, however I also fully admit I am not sure why I disagree with the statement other than the Buddha taught rebirth, so am a bit stuck in trying to figure out intelectually way why i don't get agree. Any doctrinal evidence on that would be helpfull.

Any help or anything would be greatly appreciated
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Will Karma always Ripen?

Post by Grigoris »

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

You can find an answer in Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosabhasyam. This book has been widely studied in the Mahayana, Chapter Five is entirely about karma, but karma comes up in other chapters too. The Kosa is quite technical, but it does give the possibility of non-ripening.
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhidharma-kosa
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Vajrasvapna

Post by Vajrasvapna »

Karma is a complex concept within Buddhism, and you can understand it from different contexts, such as ontological, phenomenological and energetic.
Here some sources about karma:
Good, Evil and Beyond
Causation chapter in 'Nagarjuna's Madhyamaka: A Philosophical Introduction' by Jan Westerhoff
'Part Three Karma, Meditation, and Epistemology' chapter in 'Buddhist Phenomenology' by Dan Lusthaus
The Buddha Nature: A Study of the Tathāgatagarbha and Ālayavijñāna
Most Secret Level: The Inner Air or Wind
"People these days use whatever little dharma they know to augment afflictive emotion, and then engender tremendous pride and conceit over it. They teach the Dharma without taming their own minds. But as with a river rock , not even a hair’s tip of benefit penetrates the other people. Even worse, incorrigible people [are attracted] to this dharma that increases conflict. When individuals who could be tamed by the Dharma encounter such incorrigible, their desire for the sacred Dharma is lost. It is not the fault of the Dharma; it is the fault of individuals." Machik Labdron prophecy.
godhead

Post by godhead »

Some karmas ripen and some wither away .
If Karmas ripen then it has done its purpose of evolution /Buddhas
If karmas wither away then it is a loss to evolution/Buddhas
"All my writing are my personal opinion unless otherwise specifically mentioned."

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”