you say Nagarjuna....

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dumb bonbu

you say Nagarjuna....

Post by dumb bonbu »

...i say 'Nagarjuna'?

hi folks, this topic is probably old-hat to most of you so it'd be good to get some thoughts on the matter and be pointed to any further sources. i've recently finished reading William's Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations and been introduced to the theory (liklihood?) that there may have been not only more than one Nagarjuna but also more than one Vasubandhu. to start with the former -
modern scholars sometimes incline towards the theory that there were at least two Nagarjunas, distinguishing between a philosopher Nagarjuna, who may well have been from the southern or Andrha region, and lived probably in the second to third centuries CE, and a later Nagarjuna who was a tantric alchemist and yogin. For that matter there may have been many Buddhists with the same name, that of Nagarjuna. On the other hand it is possible that works have been attributed by the Buddhist tradition to Nagarjuna simply because of his doctrinal importance.
- p.64
and the latter -
The relevant work attributed to Vasubandhu is known, again in Sanskrit reconstruction from the Chinese, as the sukhavativyuhopadesa. Once more, this text may be by Vasubandhu or it may not. It is even possible that it was written in China itself, for it is not known as a work of Vasubandhu in any Indian or Tibetan source. According to the Pure Land Masters, both Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu turned to the Pure Land teachings in old age, although there is no independent evidence for this.
- p.246
so, what are folks thoughts on the matter? without knowing too much about the writings of each (other than the Pure Land texts...i have a copy of the Mulamadhyamakakarika sat on my shelf but i'm a bit too scared to open it at this time lol) my own view is that sure, it would be nice to think that the Discourse on the Ten Stages and the Twelve Adorations were written by 'the' Nagarjuna and that the Discourse on the Pure Land came from the hand of 'the' Vasubandhu.....but beyond questions of authenticity and attribution, i have found these works greatly inspiring and encouraging and they have been a great source of help to me regardless of their authorship. ultimately, that is what matters to me and i am deeply grateful to whoever wrote them.

namu amida butsu
Although I too am within Amida's grasp,
Passions obstruct my eyes and I cannot see him;
Nevertheless, great compassion is untiring and
illumines me always.
- Shinran

Namu Amida Butsu
Dazzle

Re: you say Nagarjuna....

Post by Dazzle »

Hi dumb bonbu,

When reading your post, I was reminded of this article I had seen in the past about Nagarjuna :

http://www.thezensite.com/ZenEssays/Nag ... arjuna.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I too have enjoyed reading the Mulamadhyamakakarika - and especially the commentaries on it by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamptso Rinpoche.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

On a slightly related note, Stephen Batchelor has done two translations of MMK.

One is the commercial, more poetic version.

Then there's the free, but far more literal translation.

http://www.stephenbatchelor.org/nagarju ... entre.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

On a slightly related note, Stephen Batchelor has done two translations of MMK.

One is the commercial, more poetic version.

Then there's the free, but far more literal translation.

http://www.stephenbatchelor.org/nagarju ... entre.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
:thanks:
dumb bonbu

Post by dumb bonbu »

thanks for the links peeps! i must admit though, i don't feel quite ready to tackle MMK just yet. i have the Garfield translation sat on my shelf and i'm sure i'll find his commentary helpful....but it feels a bit like i'm an ant at the foot of huge mountain at this moment in time - daunting!
Although I too am within Amida's grasp,
Passions obstruct my eyes and I cannot see him;
Nevertheless, great compassion is untiring and
illumines me always.
- Shinran

Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”