Care to critique this notion for me?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
mettasattva

Re: Care to critique this notion for me?

Post by mettasattva »

There is an analogy that explains the illusory nature: It is like a thirsty desert traveler, surrounded by only sand. But then there is a mirage of an oasis. He tries to find the oasis but finds that as he moves towards it, it seems to get further away. Finally the man sees that it is an illusion and that he will not be able to reach the oasis. But then he realises that although the oasis is unreal, the mirage is yet visible anyway and so must have a real substance. So does the oasis exist or not? If it exists then why can't it be found? if it does not then why is it visible?
A wise man wouldn't say that it exists nor does not exist.
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Brev wrote:Hi, all!

What brought my view in line with the Dharma originally was mathematics. I posted part of this on another forum a little over a year ago. Dharma wheel seems like the place to go to have the flaws pointed out in it, though, so here we are! Basically, I think I'm concerned I have an attachment to an old conception of reality and that it could hinder my Dharma practice. So if you guys could tell me where I'm going wrong, I'd really appreciate it!

What I posted on another forum:

I've long thought that virtually any explanation for existence is nonsense because most fail to be ultimate explanations and hence are themselves unexplained. But one thing that I can't deny is that if something can be defined properly, then everything about it is also defined, insofar as those things require definition, and thus all parts of the thing defined exist within the scope of that thing. This is a form of Platonism or mathematical Platonism. Take this physical universe, for example. The whole thing can be defined mathematically, it is hoped, and so all parts of it, e.g. elementary particles, exist within it insofar as they are defined. And this I think is the crux of all existence. Anything that can be defined exists within its own sphere. And I believe that the meaning of "being defined" cannot depend on any particular language or formative parts, but on relations, structure, and interdependence of parts, just as mathematical objects only exist up to isomorphism with equivalent mathematical objects. This does not limit existence to the physical universe. Mathematical objects, like the Platonic solids, certainly exist in their own right by the same token. Moreover, many things exist which are more loosely defined or more difficult to conceive in finite terms, like love, consciousness, the truth of the Goldbach conjecture, etc. Kinda like the mathematical universe hypothesis, but I don't see any need for it to apply purely to physical things.

Addendum for you guys:

That was written on a non-Buddhist forum so I tried to put it entirely in non-Buddhist language and keep it at the level of the intellect. But I think the deeper view is achieved through the Dharma.

In particular, the word "defined" show up a lot in that paragraph above. A more appropriate way to interpret that word is "cognized" or "imputed on the basis of being merely labelled." In other words, there is only mind and the nature of mind is awareness. And all possible instances of mind exist in the same way, as configurations of feelings, perceptions, mental factors, etc. Therefore, moments of mind in the hell realms, preta realm, god realms, etc, all exist just as much as our present moment of consciousness.
And our mindstream is a dependently designated fiber running through this ocean or static of awareness that only exists in a particular way once it is designated so. Since our mindstream is propelled by cause and effect, and the cause for this arising is karma, attachment, and aversion, the natural way to stop the endless circling is to purify our karma and cultivate the roots of virtue. And the only way to permanently free our mindstream from cycling through the various realms of minds is to undo our ignorance of the actual manner in which we exist, i.e. to perceive emptiness. And due to our extremely tangled minds, the only reliable way to do so is to follow the lineage of those who have done so themselves and create a relationship with the compassionate Buddhas and bodhisattvas whose mindstreams are beyond samsara.

Woo, that's a lot! Anyway, thanks to anyone willing to help me correct my view.

Try reading "hidden dimensions" by alan wallace. Maybe it can help. Or listen to his retreats podcasts.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

I say, 'Well said.'
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”