Milarepa's secret to success

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Virgo

Re: Milarepa's secret to success

Post by Virgo »

Saoshun wrote:Showing ass is shocking, moment of shock can create moment of insight as mind is then pretty well focused, The teachings was that all dharmas are empty, no matter how long you doing meditations even if you butt turn to flat piece of meat, it will not work - that was the teaching.
Please don't be disrespectful to Marpa and Milarepa.

Thanks,

Kevin (Karma Choyni Zangpo)
Anders

Post by Anders »

Simon E. wrote:Absolutely not. ..my burblings are just a holding operation. The only thing that is worth listening to is ' find a bona fide teacher, sit at their feet. do as they say ' In this particular context it means realising that the histories of the great teachers like Gampopa are not merely biographical, they are meta -narratives that include all sorts of teachings, but those teachings can only be accessed in the context of the oral tradition of which the lineage is the custodian.

Reading about these things is like reading the menu without eating.
Sounds very Zen. :pig:
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Anders wrote:
Simon E. wrote:Absolutely not. ..my burblings are just a holding operation. The only thing that is worth listening to is ' find a bona fide teacher, sit at their feet. do as they say ' In this particular context it means realising that the histories of the great teachers like Gampopa are not merely biographical, they are meta -narratives that include all sorts of teachings, but those teachings can only be accessed in the context of the oral tradition of which the lineage is the custodian.

Reading about these things is like reading the menu without eating.
Sounds very Zen. :pig:
This.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

i don't doubt that a parallel process of narrative teaching exists in Zen. I am not sure that those narratives are altogether interchangeable however Anders..
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Simon E. wrote:i don't doubt that a parallel process of narrative teaching exists in Zen. I am not sure that those narratives are altogether interchangeable however Anders..
It does.

They aren't.

With that in mind, there should be no reason why Buddhist practitioners shouldn't take inspiration from teachers in other lineages. The "with that in mind" part is indispensable to making sense of those narratives, however.

I think some unusual mashups are underway. For instance, there's a US-based Zen teacher who promotes a version of lojong practice (Norman Fischer). I don't know who taught him this or anything further than the fact that he's teaching it, and his way of teaching it is reproduced as a productivity gimmick at the Google campus in Silicon Valley (among other methods used there). World peace perfected within a highly profitable defense contractor.

Anders, I very much appreciate your signature.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

No no reason at all why we should not take such inspiration.

Generally speaking however I find I can only eat and properly digest the sandwich in my hand..a sandwich in each hand and another on the table gives me heartburn.. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Post by newbie »

Ok, I got the idea. Somehow. :smile:
But does anyone know of a good translator?

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

newbie wrote:But does anyone know of a good translator?
Could you be a little more specific?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Post by newbie »

dzogchungpa wrote:
newbie wrote:But does anyone know of a good translator?
Could you be a little more specific?
I might have a curiosity regarding a text: I would like to know what it means.
But I am also aware that its time for my understanding did not come yet.
The alternative then is to keep practicing.

So never mind my question! It's all in due time.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Saoshun wrote:Showing ass is shocking, moment of shock can create moment of insight as mind is then pretty well focused, The teachings was that all dharmas are empty, no matter how long you doing meditations even if you butt turn to flat piece of meat, it will not work - that was the teaching.
I think it appropriate to say that you've got the message of this story ass-backwards.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

smcj wrote:
I think it appropriate to say that you've got the message of this story ass-backwards.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”