What is a "sentient being"?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: What is a "sentient being"?

Post by Malcolm »

Astus wrote:
Malcolm wrote:It is the "whatever" that is under scrutiny here. You claim experiences are the mind, and at the same time, deny they are the mind.
It all depends on what you mean by mind. Here I used it simply as another term for experiences in general.
But according to you, there is nothing experiencing experiences. In this case then, experiences are impossible.

In order for there to be dependently originated appearances, there must be conditions.
Conditions are between appearances, i.e. appearances are conditioned by appearances.
So, there can't be any invisible conditions?

actually what you have said is that appearances are the experiences themselves. This can only be the case if the mind is its own appearances, appearing to itself, independently of any other cause or condition.
Again, what do you call mind? You seem to use it as if it were a single entity ("appearing to itself"), and that I do not do.
[/quote]

I see, so for you one mind appears to another mind, unrelated?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

seeker242 wrote:
Samjna is a quality of being not seen as unique to any realm.
God realm:
Demi-god realm:
Human realm:
Animal realm:
Hungry ghost realm:
Hell realm:

Which one of these realms includes trees?
If we are addressing that aspect of Samjna that we in the west have identified as 'cognition' then we must do that addressing in terms that are consistent with itself.
Which means that it is problematic to attempt to utilise a taxonomy which is basically folklore, and which in any case varies in specifics across different Buddhist traditions.
Having said that, in early Buddhist material, plants are classified as having 'one -dimensional being'. They are described as 'threshold' or 'borderline' beings. But are beings nevertheless and as such occupy a subgroup of the animal realm.
(This taxonomy is only partially concomitant with any western scientific model and does not bear too much comparison with same).
Which is why Bhikkhus break their Vinaya by damaging or killing plants, and why they cannot cultivate plants themselves.
Lay people can cultivate plants, but this is seen as an economia born of necessity given the need to perpetuate the bodily form.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Malcolm wrote:But according to you, there is nothing experiencing experiences. In this case then, experiences are impossible.
There is no need to establish such a duality. On the contrary, if there is a separate experiencer, there is no connection between subject and object.
So, there can't be any invisible conditions?
What's the point of theorising about that? While we can use such ideas (e.g. storehouse consciousness) as explanations,
An experience is already what is later conceptually separated to subject and object, viewer and viewed, but there is actually no need to establish various minds or even one mind. For example, there is a sound, that's an experience, an appearance. The sound is then followed by thoughts identifying the sound. Again, thoughts are experiences, caused by the sound. Then we have an idea of what kind of sound we heard, and further thoughts (feelings, intentions, etc.) come based on that idea. Like when the sound is identified as the doorbell and then we are happy because somebody we were expecting has arrived. That is a chain of conditioned appearances.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Astus wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:So there are phenomena existing outside of mind that are apprehended via the sense organs (given the existence of certain conditions like light, space, etc...) and then defined by the mind(s). It's the classic abhidharma/abhidhamma approach.
Appearances are what is experienced. While we may assume external phenomena, it does not change that all we have are perceptions, but it splits (categorises) the experiences to internal (subjective) and external (objective).
Hmmmm... Does that mean (for example) that a sound is not a sound?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Does that mean (for example) that a sound is not a sound?
What do you mean? Why is a sound not a sound?
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Astus wrote:
An experience is already what is later conceptually separated to subject and object, viewer and viewed, but there is actually no need to establish various minds or even one mind. For example, there is a sound, that's an experience, an appearance. The sound is then followed by thoughts identifying the sound. Again, thoughts are experiences, caused by the sound. Then we have an idea of what kind of sound we heard, and further thoughts (feelings, intentions, etc.) come based on that idea. Like when the sound is identified as the doorbell and then we are happy because somebody we were expecting has arrived. That is a chain of conditioned appearances.
So there is no sound which is not an experience? And what is thinking about that sound? Then "we have ideas?" etc. Seriously? Are you drunk?
That is a chain of conditioned appearances
That chain of conditioned appearances is conventional, and depends on conventional dualities to function. To bring it back around — dharmakāya is unconditioned, and so it can never be a conditioned chain of appearances.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Astus wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Does that mean (for example) that a sound is not a sound?
What do you mean? Why is a sound not a sound?
Let me ask a different question the answer to which may clarify (to me) what you are trying to say: By appearances do you (also) mean phenomena or are you saying that there are just appearances?

PS I am not going to judge you on the answer because I am not 100% sure about how "reality" exists anyway, just interested in your view.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Malcolm wrote:So there is no sound which is not an experience? And what is thinking about that sound? Then "we have ideas?" etc.
Have you encountered any sound that you have not heard? I haven't. Thinking of a sound is another matter, and one can mentally listen to whole symphonies, but that's a function of imagination (can't think of a better word now).
Seriously? Are you drunk?
As far as I can tell, I was simply giving a description of a kind of epistemological phenomenology, i.e. appearances as experience, in line with the teaching that the scope of Buddhism is within the boundaries of the five aggregates and six sensory areas. But either I'm doing a really bad job at expressing myself, or you think in very different terms.
That chain of conditioned appearances is conventional, and depends on conventional dualities to function. To bring it back around — dharmakāya is unconditioned, and so it can never be a conditioned chain of appearances.
If you set up that separation, as unconditioned it does not have any function nor any relation, and that makes it as inert as space.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Sherab Dorje wrote:By appearances do you (also) mean phenomena or are you saying that there are just appearances?
Phenomena, appearances, experiences, dharma - I use them interchangeably.

Phenomenon is simply a Greek word appearance. Also, "In the philosophy of Kant, an object as it is perceived by the senses, as opposed to a noumenon." - hence experiences, perceptions.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Astus wrote:
Malcolm wrote:So there is no sound which is not an experience? And what is thinking about that sound? Then "we have ideas?" etc.
Have you encountered any sound that you have not heard? I haven't. Thinking of a sound is another matter, and one can mentally listen to whole symphonies, but that's a function of imagination (can't think of a better word now).
So unless you hear it, a sound is not a sound? Unless you see it, a tree is not there?

As far as I can tell, I was simply giving a description of a kind of epistemological phenomenology, i.e. appearances as experience, in line with the teaching that the scope of Buddhism is within the boundaries of the five aggregates and six sensory areas.
The five aggregates, 12 sense gates and 18 elements all include external and internal phenomena.
But either I'm doing a really bad job at expressing myself
Indeed.

If you set up that separation, as unconditioned it does not have any function nor any relation, and that makes it as inert as space.
Dharmakāya can never be a conditioned chain of appearances. But I suggest you go and review the Samdhinirmocana Sūtra and the dialogue where it is explained how dharmin and dharmatā are neither the same nor different. You assertion that dharmakāya = dependent origination is not only wrong, but it also violates this principle.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Astus wrote:Have you encountered any sound that you have not heard? I haven't. Thinking of a sound is another matter, and one can mentally listen to whole symphonies, but that's a function of imagination (can't think of a better word now).
I can understand what you are saying, but just because I haven't encountered it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You may have encountered it.

Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Malcolm wrote:So unless you hear it, a sound is not a sound? Unless you see it, a tree is not there?
Sound is what is heard. What is an unheard sound? What is seen are forms and colours, it is the interpretation of those impressions that make it a tree.
The five aggregates, 12 sense gates and 18 elements all include external and internal phenomena.
What is external in the five aggregates? Even the four elements are experiences of solidity, fluidity, heat, and movement. As for the elements of object-organ-consciousness, because experience exists only with consciousness, objects and organs are merely conceptual assumptions.
Dharmakāya can never be a conditioned chain of appearances. But I suggest you go and review the Samdhinirmocana Sūtra and the dialogue where it is explained how dharmin and dharmatā are neither the same nor different. You assertion that dharmakāya = dependent origination is not only wrong, but it also violates this principle.
Samdhinirmocana Sutra, ch 2 (BDK Edition, p 18, 19):

Not identical
"it is not the case that at this very moment all the common worldlings have already gained insight into truth, are already capable of attaining the quiescent cessation of supreme skill, or have realized full, perfect awakening. Therefore the opinion that the descriptive marks of the truth of ultimate meaning are not different from the descriptive marks of conditioned states of being is not reasonable."

Not different
"It is precisely because they have been capable of liberation from these two obstacles that they have been able to attain the quiescent cessation of supreme skill and to realize full, perfect wisdom. Therefore, the opinion that the descriptive marks of the truth of ultimate meaning are entirely different from the descriptive marks of conditioned states of being is not reasonable."

As you say, equating dharmakaya with interdependence seems to contradict that, and also if I were to say that the two are different.

How do you define dharmakaya?
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Sherab Dorje wrote:I can understand what you are saying, but just because I haven't encountered it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You may have encountered it.
That is besides the point, because what I'm pointing to is that it is one's own experiences that requires investigation. As it's often repeated in Zen, don't look for buddha outside your mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Astus wrote:
What is external in the five aggregates?
The five sense objects, one half of the material aggregate.
undefineable

Post by undefineable »

Malcolm wrote:
undefineable wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Trees exhibit both discrimination and knowledge hence, they have minds, as do other plants.
To show this, the patterns of electrical signals in trees would have to bear some relation to the pattern of electrical signals in human brains while those humans are engaged in tasks involved in disrimination and knowledge. :pig:

Until [or unless this is!] that time, who knows?
That Rubicon has already been crossed.
Simon E. wrote:'perception' and 'apperception' and 'distinguishing'. Each of which can be shown to be demonstrated in the plant world.
Can someone link me to any [more] scientific studies that prove likely plant sentience?

I wonder why it's not generally broadcast that plants are demonstrably sentient _ _ Maybe it's a sign of the times, who knows :shrug:
DGA wrote:
undefineable wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Trees exhibit both discrimination and knowledge hence, they have minds, as do other plants.
To show this, the patterns of electrical signals in trees would have to bear some relation to the pattern of electrical signals in human brains while those humans are engaged in tasks involved in disrimination and knowledge. :pig:

This looks like a very narrow redefinition of sentience. According to the redefinition you offer here, a mind is only a mind when it corresponds in some way to the physical structures of the human organism
I've bolded the phrase I used to ensure I wasn't redefining sentience, but language is (pardon the pun) a slippery fish _
you wore out your welcome with random precision {Pink Floyd}
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Simon E. wrote:
seeker242 wrote:
Samjna is a quality of being not seen as unique to any realm.
God realm:
Demi-god realm:
Human realm:
Animal realm:
Hungry ghost realm:
Hell realm:

Which one of these realms includes trees?
If we are addressing that aspect of Samjna that we in the west have identified as 'cognition' then we must do that addressing in terms that are consistent with itself.
Which means that it is problematic to attempt to utilise a taxonomy which is basically folklore, and which in any case varies in specifics across different Buddhist traditions.
Having said that, in early Buddhist material, plants are classified as having 'one -dimensional being'. They are described as 'threshold' or 'borderline' beings. But are beings nevertheless and as such occupy a subgroup of the animal realm.
(This taxonomy is only partially concomitant with any western scientific model and does not bear too much comparison with same).
Which is why Bhikkhus break their Vinaya by damaging or killing plants, and why they cannot cultivate plants themselves.
Lay people can cultivate plants, but this is seen as an economia born of necessity given the need to perpetuate the bodily form.
According to the Bhikkhus themselves, that isn't why Bhikkhus break their Vinaya by damaging or killing plants. 'one -dimensional being' or "one-facultied life" was a belief of Jains and non-buddhists and wasn't part of early Buddhism. The inclusion was simply not to offend these people who held that belief. Like I said before, quoting Dhammanando Bhikkhu from Dhammawheel commenting on "one-facultied life"
"nowhere does the Buddha actually concede that these beliefs were correct and in the Vinaya commentaries they are dismissed as "mere imagining".
The idea that plants are 'one -dimensional being' is itself the folklore.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

General advice: Please remember in time to keep the discussion less emotional. In the worst case just ignore your opponent. There is no harm in different opinions.
:namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Astus wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:I can understand what you are saying, but just because I haven't encountered it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You may have encountered it.
That is besides the point, because what I'm pointing to is that it is one's own experiences that requires investigation. As it's often repeated in Zen, don't look for buddha outside your mind.
How can we have compassion (for example) is we ignore the validity of the the others experiences? Wisdom is fine and dandy, but if you are missing compassion, then it becomes a very self-centred affair. So the experiences of others are not "beside the point".

muni

Post by muni »

it is one's own experiences that requires investigation.
And therefore look inside, it is the only way to find the root of Mind. Only then Great Love can shine. Investigating in others ‘mind, seeing what is with others is samsara, is clinging, is believing in existences on their own/ independencies and so believing in self.

It is own suffering to try to purify others mind or to correct others mind ( = samsara’s tendency). While compassion, rejoicing, loving kindness, equanimity as the four immeasurable, the Paramitas generosity, patience, ethic-discipline, perseverance, ones’ own meditative concentration in order to be able act by wisdom. This erases own suffering and then there can arise skills to help respectfully and this is the way of the Bodhisattva.
All this as result from looking inside, seeing the mess inside own mind, but this is difficult and can be very scaring, that mess can appear as being amazing, too hard to find how it comes and how to be freed of it ( Four Noble Truths) or it is believed all is perfect there, and the other/phenomena/things need urgently some purification and so investigation, so lets’ start the job. H H Dalai Lama said once that looking inside is a bigger and much more fascinating trip than a complete world trip.

"Don’t investigate the root of things,
Investigate the root of Mind!
Once the mind’s root has been found,
You’ll know one thing, yet all is thereby freed.
But if the root of Mind you fail to find,
You will know everything but nothing
understand." Guru Rinpoche.
http://keithdowman.net/dzogchen/dudjom- ... unsel.html

The bird of Bodhichitta has two wings ( sorry I turn old cd) Wisdom AND Compassion. Wisdom is own job, Compassion is its' "colour". There is no wisdom without compassion. What is called intelligence is not wisdom.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
daelm

Post by daelm »

DGA wrote:
undefineable wrote:

This looks like a very narrow redefinition of sentience. According to the redefinition you offer here, a mind is only a mind when it corresponds in some way to the physical structures of the human organism.

Squid, octopi, and cuttlefish are sentient, but their nervous systems diverge widely from that of any mammal, including homo sapiens. Some are very clever animals indeed.

So here I go again asking for clarification. What is the difference between "mind" or "sentience" on one side, and "brain" or "central nervous system" on the other?
Yes. That's pretty much the key issue that this research is throwing up. Ultimately, it's going to start being obvious that things like "brain" and "central nervous system" are one manner amongst many in which sentience is instantiated. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way, because human superiority is posited on humans being a better outcome than any other and we obviously like that idea, and never need much convincing about it and we don't like the opposite of it. This view was ultimately embedded in the idea of an "evolutionary ladder", with humans at the top, which contributed to the public acceptance of evolution. (Even at the time, though, people disagreed with this. If I remember correctly, Darwin himself thought it was a misrepresentation.)

Stephen Jay Gould wrote on this many years back, if you want background. He also wrote on IQ, as part of the same broad thesis around human self-aggrandizement, in The Mismeasure of Man. Very worthwhile reading.

https://books.google.co.za/books?id=tSD ... or&f=false

(Sorry about the long link. I'm typing on my phone.)

The idea that humans are a pinnacle of some sort is hard to escape in any culture. But then, the sun also seems to orbit the earth, and the earth itself seems flat in everyday experience, and rods in water seem to bend, and the moon seems to hide from the sun, and lightning seems to come down, rather than up, and so on. There are many things that accord with common sense assumption on the face of it, but have no evidence behind them and are actually entirely wrong.

Amongst Western Buddhists, at dharma centers, I've often seem this cultural truth get mixed up with the idea of a precious human life, as though a precious human life were precious because it was human and therefore better. Actually, traditionally, a precious human life is only precious if it's been exposed to dharma. It's not inherently precious. (I'd go further, and say that precious human life is precious because of our capacity for abstraction, too. Without that, we'd never be able to start practice, because the premises of dharma go wholly against common sense prima facie and it's only through a scaffolding of abstraction that we might be convinced that our experience actually isn't proof of what we think it is. The same thing, therefore, that makes our blindness particularly convoluted and woven into itself, is an aid to clearing a way our of our own undergrowth. But that's a personal opinion - traditionally, it's that a human met the dharma.)

I basically understand why non-Buddhists have difficulty with this. Culturally, we've been telling ourselves specialness stories for millennia. Over the last couple of hundred years, this has taken the form of specialness being located in the complexity of the human nervous system, which is exclusively related to human minds. This research and the direction it goes in undermines that, hence the kinds of reactions we see. It seems to indicate that the complexity of human nervous organisation is actually what it appears to be -complexity - and not a prerequisite for mental activity. What we we call mental activity may be widespread, but very differently instantiated and experienced.

It's strange to me, though, that Buddhists have difficulty with this idea. If you're a Buddhist, specialness stories notwithstanding, you have been exposed to the idea - glossed - that minds give rise to bodies. That is, it is a common theme in many schools, whatever you think of it, that the mind does not arise from the central nervous system, but that the central nervous system, as an expression of karma, arises from the mind. The "mind" is source in many texts. So you shouldn't be particularly attached to the causative necessity of a central nervous system. If anything, you'd be attached to the causative necessity of a mind, and interested in being able to distinguish mind from central nervous system. I would have thought that Buddhists would be quite excited about being able to divorce"mind" from organs. (I'm using "mind" here in all sorts of loose, casual ways, just for the sake of conversation.) Obviously I was wrong :)

Even more damning, I would have thought, is that being a Buddhist really requires you to accept that everything you know is wrong. All dharmas are conditioned (despite how they seem), all conditioned dharmas are suffering ( despite everyday experience), actions taken in your own interest (and therefore in line with millennia of evolutionary imperatives) will necessarily fail, etc. The basic premise of dharma, is "you're thoroughly wrong". So once you're over that hurdle, it seems quite odd that the possibility of plant sentience would the thing that stuck. But ok.

DGA, sentience and cognition would - very broadly - be the capacity in living things to register environmental information, and the capacity to distinguish some of that information as boundaried, as belonging together, respectively. Brains and central nervous systems would be some of the ways, amongst many, that sentience and cognition are enacted or embodied.

d

(Typed on the phone, so there are likely to be a lot of typos.)

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”