Question about my "anti healing powers" :(

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nosta

Question about my "anti healing powers" :(

Post by Nosta »

Most of the time I think that I am not able to help healing people through prays, mantras, etc. I think I have the opposite effect when I want to help.

When I was a teen boy, a truly believer in Christ and God, I used to pray for people in need. Most of the time they would not get better and in one specific day my pray (for a specific person) was really intense, and with love, compassion and faith...the next day I was informed that the person in question died. That when I started to question Catholic religion and give more attention to Buddhism.

Anyway, even with buddhism it happens the same!

At one month ago I was visualizing Medicine Buddha and trying to spread health in my house, and in the same night my son got sick!

Whats my problem? :(
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Question about my "anti healing powers" :(

Post by Seishin »

Samsara
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

"(32) When rites we perform never seem to be fruitful, this is the wheel of sharp weapons returning full circle upon us from wrongs we have done. Until now we have relied on the gods of this world, or on unskillful actions to bring us relief; hereafter let’s turn in another direction and leave our non-virtuous actions behind. "

Wheel of Sharp Weapons Effectively Striking the Heart of the Foe
Dharmarakshita

http://studybuddhism.com/en/tibetan-bud ... -rendering
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

Being an effective healer requires immense and in-depth training for that specific purpose. Have you been trained in faith healing or energy healing by someone qualified to do so? If not, the best way to positively effect the outcome is with a very gentle thought that the very best outcome be achieved. Anything more specific is going to be pushing it.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Sprouticus

Post by Sprouticus »

It is more likely that you are moved to intervene with prayer and mantra during crisis events, than that you are causing a negative response. Maybe your intuition knew that your son was coming down with something and that your friend was about to pass away?

:namaste:
Namo Buddhaya
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

:good: We subconsciously notice all sorts of subtle signs. In the medical world, those who are good diagnosticians are often those who have made that process conscious.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Additionally: refering every occurances as results of own deeds, is a kind of misconception. We actually do not know for 100% how our thoughts, actions and unknown karma operate. To feel guilty for any things that happen is somehow a self-centered view. There are many unknown items coming together to create the appearances.
I say this out of experience and observing my own mind.
Also I asked my teacher about some phenomena around me and he said: "Don't think, you're the cause for all things that happen. Even the Buddha couldn't prevent bad things to happen. Other people have their own karma as well."
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

:good:

Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Thanks for all the answers so far.

I dont pretend to be a healer. Sometimes its just the wish to help with a pray or a mantra, but I think I fail even on that.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Nosta its not possible to 'fail' with a prayer or a mantram. Its just that the 'answer' might not be what you want. :smile:
Sometimes the Cosmos says 'no', that not you he/she really needs..

Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Hello,

Everyone can have a positive effect on others : love them, wish them well, pray for them to be guided. Don't juge, listen and appreciate their good qualities. This bring a lot of help, but don't necessaraly expect miracles. We are just human, both so fragile and also so profund in our humanity.

Concerning the ability to heal, it requieres faith and love, and also, a certain amount of "work on oneself". I would suggest you to read books by Joseph Murphy and/or Florence Scovel Schinn who gives deep keys about how the mind creates one reality, and the power of affirmation, which is quiet something. Faith is the key. A mind full of hopes and fears, desrie but no faith is clearly not a healing mind, both for oneself and others. We have to transform ourself first.

For a further researsh, to go deeper, and with a more scientific mindset, you could see a very deep and profund book by Dr Dispenza "you are the placebo". Highly recommended/

First work on yourself, and share the healing radiance of boddhicitta, which is a good heart : being someone kind but not naive, beneficient but not stupid.

To work on others efficiently, from my point of view, and speaking from experience, it requieres good guidance. Go and see real healers and ask for help.

Everyone can learn. Everyone hold Buddha nature inside. But help can be requiered to uncover it.
takso

Post by takso »

Kamma and Wishes

Buddhism often touches on the law of kamma. But what does kamma mean? In Buddhism, kamma is translated as ‘volitional action.’ But the general meaning of kamma is beyond that term. Kamma can be loosely translated as mere ‘action.’ Therefore, when we talk about the law of kamma, we talk about the law of action. When we talk about the law of action, we talk about the law of reaction. And these laws are part of the universal laws i.e. the natural phenomenon laws – not shaped by someone else; no one owns it; neither Buddhism. It is merely a natural law of balancing that helps to attain equilibrium in the nature.

In other words, when we speak about kamma, we speak about action. When we speak about action, we speak about motion. So for one to gain an insight into kamma, its orientation and consequences (kamma-vipāka), one has to observe and understand thoroughly into the law of motion. Right now, let us ponder at the three physical laws of motion that were discovered by an influential English physicist and mathematician, namely, Sir Isaac Newton, shown as below: -

1st Law of Motion

Every object in a state of consistent motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force applied to it.

2nd Law of Motion

It is pertaining to the relationship between an object’s mass, its acceleration, and the applied force. In this law, the direction of the force vector is the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.

3rd Law of Motion

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Generally speaking, there are two categories of motion i.e. the constant and the variable motion. When we mention that a rising force of something would generate a new equal opposing force, such as the Newton’s third law of motion, we are actually referring to a process of action and reaction under a circumstance of constant motion (constant opposing forces). In other words, we could mention that the come factor is equal to the become factor: -

Come factor = Become factor

However, under a circumstance of variable motion, the opposing forces would orientate in a unique harmonising mechanism, such as the Newton’s second law of motion, shown as below: -

Scenario 1 - Acceleration

When come factor accelerates, the relative become factor would decelerate: -

Force A come↑ Force A become

For example, the thought experiment of twin paradox which concerns a twin who flies off in a spaceship traveling near the speed of light and returns to discover that his or her twin sibling has aged much more. This scenario depicts the circumstance of time dilation in Einstein’s special theory of relativity. Literally, the acceleration of spaceship would decelerate the becoming process of the twin who sits inside it. The deceleration of the becoming process would mean the slowing down of the aging process for the same twin. In other words, the mental and the physical progression of the twin who sits inside the spaceship would slow down relatively.

Scenario 2 - Deceleration

When come factor decelerates, the relative become factor would accelerate: -

Force A come↓ Force A become

For example, if the speed of the car decreases, it is literal to speak of deceleration; mathematically, it is acceleration in the opposite direction to that of motion and vice versa. Besides, this scenario explicates that a physically sick or a mentally stressful individual is advisable to go for a full resting at home or a cool vacation elsewhere for this state of affairs would decelerate the come factors in or around the same individual. Consequently, the process of recuperation on the same individual, both mentally and physically, would speed up.

In Buddhism, it was mentioned that the precise working out of the results of kamma was one of the four unconjecturables and to speculate about it would bring madness and vexation to anyone who conjectured about it. But why is it so difficult for one, even the Buddha, to predict the timeline for the end result of kamma? The rational explanation to this enigma lies in the orientation of come factor and become factor under the different circumstances of motion. Naturally, we always involve in motions that vary in frequencies under the influence of conditional phenomena. Therefore it is literally impossible for us to contemplate on the end result of a continuum of different types of motion inter-waving with one another.

As mentioned earlier, when we talk about the law of action, we talk about the law of reaction. This scenario is basically due to the elements of attraction existing in the cosmos and the universal law of attraction states that we attract what we are sending out i.e. like attracts like, unlike repels unlike. Hence, favourable energies attract favourable energies and unfavourable energies attract unfavourable energies. Human thoughts are cosmic waves of energy that penetrate all time and space and it is the most potent vibration that can attracts what is desired or wished for. In other words, all sentient beings are electro-magnetic beings with the subtle mind consciousness that acts as an antenna or a radar detector constantly attracting and magnetising vibrational frequencies. Human thoughts are frequencies to which other similar frequencies are constantly resonating. This resonance is the basis for a universal law – the law of attraction.

With all the above clarifications, we begin to understand that it is sensibly possible for any wishes to ‘come true’ or ‘be granted’ within the desired timeline. It all depends on the skills of the individuals who conduct the wishes. In Buddhism, there is a cardinal virtue known as mettā bhavana or the cultivation of loving-kindness. It is a foundation for the brahmavihāras and also a powerful antidote to accelerate the realisation of emptiness in the dependent nature. When we talk about realising into emptiness, we talk about the progressive comprehension of the mind on the reality of things. And emptiness would mean the absence of inherent existence i.e. all beings or things are inter-depending, inter-waving and inter-relating with one another. Just like the saying, ‘Part of you is part of me, part of me is part of them.’ This phrase implies the inter-connectedness of all things in the nature and the significance of mettā bhavana is to condition and transform the mind from a delusive state into a non-manipulative and non-discriminatory ones. This is because the mind is naturally something more objective and involves clear discrimination – differentiates and understands the characteristics of objects. And the cultivation of loving-kindness would inspire the deluded mind into seeing all things as they truly are.

Basically, the cultivation of loving-kindness is performed by radiating out to all beings in all directions the unconditional and boundless love, goodwill and kindness. Through the practice of meditation, one could begin the radiating of loving-kindness toward oneself, such as, ‘May I be well and happy, may I be peaceful all the time, may I be free from harms and dangers, may I be strong in facing difficulties, etc.’ Thereafter, one could continue with the similar wishes and progress into the immediate family, the good friends, all the known and unknown beings, and gradually the entire universe. When one has fully realised into the significance of cultivating loving-kindness, the state of egolessness and compassion would arise concurrently.

Nevertheless, these strong wishes for the happiness and the well-being of oneself and others must be carried out in a meditative state with full concentration and mindfulness. Mettā bhavana is considered one of the powerful antidotes for alleviating the immeasurable suffering in samsāra because the end result can be witnessed by oneself immediately - right here, right now! This is mainly due to the deceleration of the come factors i.e. the wishes being radiated out in a discretely clear and slow tempo recitation (as per the above illustrated Scenario 2 – Deceleration). As such, we could see that the mettā blessing from a highly revered monk who has attained the advanced level of jhāna is very powerful and could generate the immediate and promising results to the recipients. Jhāna is an altered state of consciousness with profound stillness and concentration. At the pinnacle of the jhānas, there is a transformation of the mind consciousness into a potent black hole of emptiness that strongly attracts and magnetises vibrational frequencies and this is the beginning of attaining psychic powers among individuals. In other words, within the innate mind of all individuals, there is a compelling black hole of emptiness and it is also known as the Clear Light in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition.

At the end of the day, we would realise that ordinary people do not always get what they wish for in life because for most of the time, they have engaged with the wrongful techniques. Any wishes by individuals must be radiated out in a discretely clear and slow tempo recitation and must be in full concentration and mindfulness in order to catch a glimpse of the immediate result. Therefore, meditation is a key tool for realising one’s wishes sooner than later. Besides, there is a need for one to understand well and observe thoroughly the law of motion before gaining insight into the law of kamma. In fact, the law of kamma is nothing more than the law of balancing in the dependent nature. For general understanding, nature is a system of constant with a factor of intermediation or absence. If one stirs up in any phenomena of existence under volitional or non-volitional term, the natural law that maintains equilibrium would take its course to balance it in one way or another across time and the plane of existence. Otherwise, a constant factor cannot be achieved at all in the nature and this is the core basis for the three physical laws of motion that were discovered by Sir Isaac Newton.
~ Ignorance triumphs when wise men do nothing ~
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I'm just old enough now that all kinds of friends and people I know are dying...it's nothing personal.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Once agaon, thanks for all the answers (I read all of them carefully). From what I see, it seems that its just a coincidence. I mean, it seems that is not some kind of "witchcraft" or "bad karma" causing me to hurt others through prayers. My fear is that, for some karmic [from a past life] reason, I may be causing harm to others when I wish them good. Thats my fear. Thats why avoid praying for others :(
Rishin

Post by Rishin »

Nosta wrote:Once agaon, thanks for all the answers (I read all of them carefully). From what I see, it seems that its just a coincidence. I mean, it seems that is not some kind of "witchcraft" or "bad karma" causing me to hurt others through prayers. My fear is that, for some karmic [from a past life] reason, I may be causing harm to others when I wish them good. Thats my fear. Thats why avoid praying for others :(
Turn your intent into physical action. Take your sense of compassion, your mindset during mantra recitation, and your wish to do good and make it impact on the world.

Learn to develop congruance with others, show unconditional compassion, and let those you wish to help feel your empathy.

Set aside your fear, you are frightened of something outside of your control, set your worries concerning dharma aside, heck set Buddhism aside for a moment. Just take you desire to help and forge it into something workable to help those around you, those with whom you can actively engage.

Don't worry about nebulous concepts. Work with what you can see and feel at this present moment, even a smile can change someone's day for the better.
FilipinoTianXian

Post by FilipinoTianXian »

Nosta, to be able to effectively use a dharani/mantra in healing, you and the dharani/mantra have to be one. You have to get to know the dharani/mantra wholeheartedly. In other words, you have to introduce yourself to the Buddha/Boddhisattvas of the dharani/mantra. For this to happen, you have to recite the dharani/mantra with great devotion for a time. The length of time and the number of recitations depend upon your merit. Only after this that the siddhi of healing will come to pass. Siddhis like healing is definitely achievable to people who don't have it naturally if provided with the right effort. I have seen many people capable of doing it at different levels of power. I have seen and have known people who have genuine and open third eye on a very high level that they can look on long distances and past behind walls, can instantly do OBE, and do other amazing things. I have seen many other things that are more fascinating. The thing is, what the Buddha taught regarding them is true. Practice more. It can be gained through practice. Enlightenment is gained through practice.

[Edit]
Last edited by Ayu on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signature edited
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I could think of a few political leaders who you could do some healing practices for. Put your power to good use! ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”