Apology to the Naga Realm

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: Apology to the Naga Realm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote:Thanks Malcolm.

Of course, my pleasure.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Thank you everyone for your input.

Still, if an analysis on how this word came to be translated as musk and why it's wrong would be interesting for me.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Soma999 wrote:Thank you everyone for your input.

Still, if an analysis on how this word came to be translated as musk and why it's wrong would be interesting for me.
It is a mistake present in an electronic dictionary, where someone apparently entered an incorrect spelling of gla rtsi (musk), or were incorrectly informed by a Tibetan.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Thank you. I didn't know. I have eveyrthing to learn, and tibetan langage is an ocean of mistery, still the sounds of the wave of this ocean, its mantras and mystic poetry, are deeply attracting.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yeah, at first I thought Malcolm's answer was correct in terms of how this mistake crept in. One of the translator's typed in the Tibetan wrong. However, when I typed in the correct Tibetan into an on-line Tib-Eng dictionary yesterday, I also got "musk." So lu-tsi may be a synonym for la-tsi (unless the dictionary is wrong, which also could be). In this case, one needed to know that the lu tsi in the text was not a compound term, but that lu (klu) was an adjective (or possessive).
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote:Yeah, at first I thought Malcolm's answer was correct in terms of how this mistake crept in. One of the translator's typed in the Tibetan wrong. However, when I typed in the correct Tibetan into an on-line Tib-Eng dictionary yesterday, I also got "musk." So lu-tsi may be a synonym for la-tsi (unless the dictionary is wrong, which also could be). In this case, one needed to know that the lu tsi in the text was not a compound term, but that lu (klu) was an adjective (or possessive).
Hi.

klu rtsi (ཀླུ་རྩི) is definitely not a synonym for gla rtsi (གླ་རྩི). Synonyms for musk included སྤྲུལ་དུག, poison for snakes; སྦྲུལ་སྐྲག་བྱེད, agent that terrifies snakes. In this case the entry is not in a Tibetan-Tibetan dictionary, but just an erroneous entry in the Valby dictionary.
Markus Nicklas

Post by Markus Nicklas »

Hello, half a year later and the still the version with "musk" is in place. Is no one interested in clarification? Thanks foy paing attention.
Cheers, Markus

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”