Solitary Practice

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
AfroFries

Solitary Practice

Post by AfroFries »

Hi All,

I'm not affiliated with any Buddhist tradition, I like various practices which I use minimalistically - from the Tibetan Buddhist school I use the Green Tara mantra, Chinese Mahayana the Medicine Buddha Sutra from the Fo Guang Shan school, Zen style mindfulness meditation and I also like the Nam Myoho Renge Kyo chant of the Nichiren tradition.

I like the BuddhaDharma, I like taking refuge in the Three Jewels. I like the Buddhist soteriology and eschatology, it makes sense to me. Buddhism has a practical solution to the angst of the human condition.

I'm universalist, non-sectarian by nature.

In my region there aren't many Buddhist schools. There are two Tibetan Buddhist groups, one a Gelug Temple and the other a centre in the Kagyu lineage. There is also a Soka Gakkai presence, they have a centre as well. I've attended their chanting sessions a few times and I've visited the Tibetan centres.

I'd love it if there was a Shambhala centre here! Their inclusive style is perfect for me.

What do you advise? Should I continue on my own universalist Buddhist path or what would you recommend? The Sangha is very important and as a solitary practitioner there isn't much of a Sangha.

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you :)
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Solitary Practice

Post by DGA »

There's value in exploring and studying widely in order to find your bearings. Adding to the local resources you have described, consider tuning in to various webcast teachings that may be available. Dzogchen Community offers webcast teachings often. Garchen Rinpoche's group does sometimes too. This can be very helpful.

Eventually, you will find it useful to commit to one way to practice. This will help you keep your sanity. This will likely require some travel to see your teacher and get teachings, which you can practice on your own.

How do you understand the term sangha? When you say you need sangha, what do you mean--what, specifically, do you need?
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

Thanks for the reply!

My understanding of the Sangha is the community of fellow Buddhist practitioners as well as the host of Bodhisattva's etc who form the Sangha on the non-visual spectrum.

The problem is that Buddhism can be quite expensive in certain traditions. The only totally free Dharma I've found is among the Nichiren Buddhists. The Tibetan Buddhist centres charge for everything except pujas. I've done a couple of pujas - Green Tara, Chenrezig, Je Tsongkhapa, Manjushri, etc... at the Gelug Temple.

I've chanted Daimoku and Gongyo with the SGI on various occasions.

I enjoyed all of those practices very much.

I suppose it's just a question of making up my mind and settling into the practice.

Thanks again for the reply :)

Metta :buddha1:
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

If it makes you feel any better. I have been a solitary practitioner for many years. I find that pureland is the best fit for me, but each to their own. The main benefit of a sangha is that it's a meeting place for like minded people, unfortunately that can also be it's drawback.
I find that if I'm feeling comfortable in my own skin that's a pretty good sign that my practice is going well. At the moment I'm feeling quite contented with my lot in life. However from time to time I get off the rails and with a sangha to support me I'd probably get back into stride somewhat faster and easier.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

If we think of it in terms of many lifes, being a practicioner since many lifes and for many lifes still to come: there will always be times of solitude and times of sharing inspiration.
Practicing alone is a good teaching, and meeting other practicioners is important as well. My advice is: follow your heart. What is best for you now won't be the same in some years. You can know it better than us, what is right for you now, and it is also good to train the skill of listening to your own innermost advisor.
:namaste:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

AfroFries wrote:Thanks for the reply!

My understanding of the Sangha is the community of fellow Buddhist practitioners as well as the host of Bodhisattva's etc who form the Sangha on the non-visual spectrum.

The problem is that Buddhism can be quite expensive in certain traditions. The only totally free Dharma I've found is among the Nichiren Buddhists. The Tibetan Buddhist centres charge for everything except pujas. I've done a couple of pujas - Green Tara, Chenrezig, Je Tsongkhapa, Manjushri, etc... at the Gelug Temple.

I've chanted Daimoku and Gongyo with the SGI on various occasions.

I enjoyed all of those practices very much.
It's helpful to have a group to practice with sometimes, but much more important is a qualified teacher. If you want to learn auto mechanics, you can learn by yourself... at the risk of your own safety and that of others. Or you can do it the efficient way and study in a systematic program under the direction of a competent master of the craft. Much more so for Dharma practice. It's not necessary to live near your teacher; you just need to be able to communicate from time to time.

Yes, Dharma is expensive; there are no free lunches, although in nearly all instances there is a "no one turned away for lack of funds" policy. This includes SGI, by the way. Nothing comes of nothing; in the end, nothing is free. The first paramita is generosity, after all.

I'm glad you've been able to get involved with the practices you've undertaken so far. That's excellent.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I would add that it's important to assess your situation and figure out how to maximize whatever you have available within whatever restrictions you experience (which I think you are doing with your questions here). That is your present karma. The key point is, right now you have found the Dharma and it is resonating for you. Your task is to find ways to use this positive karma to generate more positive karma.

My practice has been mostly solitary, but I had some contact with an FPMT center (a Gelug organization) some distance from where I used to live. There I heard a particular teacher who reached me very strongly and, although I only saw her once every one or two years when she came to that center, I was able to reach out to her by email and we correspond occasionally in between. That has been very helpful for me.

The approach that has worked for me is lam rim. It provides a road map for the entire Buddhist journey and helps me recognize my own level. It categorizes all the basic teachings which allows me to maintain perspective and at the same time delve more deeply into specific topics. Without the structure of lam rim, I think I'd feel a little lost here on DW.

But again, as everyone has said, that is what works for me, by which I mean it feels right. It feels like that is what is available to me and I am making the most I can with it.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

Ayu wrote:If we think of it in terms of many lifes, being a practicioner since many lifes and for many lifes still to come: there will always be times of solitude and times of sharing inspiration.
Practicing alone is a good teaching, and meeting other practicioners is important as well. My advice is: follow your heart. What is best for you now won't be the same in some years. You can know it better than us, what is right for you now, and it is also good to train the skill of listening to your own innermost advisor.
:namaste:
Thank you Ayu! :hi: What you say makes complete sense. I will indeed follow my heart. :heart:

Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Hi,

I think you can meet both temples, learn from it, learn from books, practice yourself, get teachings and reflect and practice on it. Don't choose "this or that temple". See them both. Maybe one will be more interesting for you, but the other still can give very interesting keys.

I don't think there is a full universalist teaching per se, BUT you can become universalist by reflecting, practicing, building bridges, and with good guidance. Someonebecome universalist by the increase of his or her consciousness where all teachings can become unified. They do not lost their individuality, but they honour there common wisdom, and appreciate their different langage, and being anchored in love and respect, they benefits each others.

It's good to have a Dharma teacher, who can give instruction and most important, if the teacher is a real teacher - fully authentic and benevolent - and if he/she has true realisations, a spiritual alchemy can happens by the merging of heart and mind through "internal realms", even at a distance. That - from my point of view - is the real meaning of empowerments : making your mide mature by merging it with the wisdom mind of your teacher, and through this teacher, with the universal mind... which is also your own mind. Losing your ignorance, and awakening to your true nature is the real empowerment. The "spiritual friend" help this process.

By connecting to a true Guru, you connect to a lineage. By connecting to a lineage, you can connect to the vast ocean of Dharma and understand and appreciate many teachings and other religions. It's a good step toward universalism.

So, follow your heart, receive the gifts of life, and still be yourself, not just a "yes men". Learn, reflect, practice, integrate... and rejoice ! Life is full of mistery, so it's quiet exciting !
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

shaunc wrote:If it makes you feel any better. I have been a solitary practitioner for many years. I find that pureland is the best fit for me, but each to their own. The main benefit of a sangha is that it's a meeting place for like minded people, unfortunately that can also be it's drawback.
I find that if I'm feeling comfortable in my own skin that's a pretty good sign that my practice is going well. At the moment I'm feeling quite contented with my lot in life. However from time to time I get off the rails and with a sangha to support me I'd probably get back into stride somewhat faster and easier.
Thank you shaunc,

There is a Fo Guang Shan temple (Pureland-Ch'an) called Nan Hua, about 200 kilometres from here, it is immensely popular and always filled to the brim with visitors and it has weekly meditation retreats as well as various celebration days and feasts which attracts very large crowds and retreatants. I have still to visit it, it is immensely difficult to find a place, they're so full always, it's like a Pureland on earth that temple! It provides a lot of peace for the troubled masses.

Metra :buddha1:
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

Thank you to everyone for your replies! It is much appreciated.

:thanks:

boda

Post by boda »

DGA wrote:If you want to learn auto mechanics, you can learn by yourself... at the risk of your own safety and that of others.
Religions gain their power from the crowd, so in terms of safety it's actually much safer to practice on ones own. Solo practice can't take advantage of the power in the crowd, on the other hand.
rory

Post by rory »

AfroFries wrote:
shaunc wrote:If it makes you feel any better. I have been a solitary practitioner for many years. I find that pureland is the best fit for me, but each to their own. The main benefit of a sangha is that it's a meeting place for like minded people, unfortunately that can also be it's drawback.
Thank you shaunc,

There is a Fo Guang Shan temple (Pureland-Ch'an) called Nan Hua, about 200 kilometres from here, it is immensely popular and always filled to the brim with visitors and it has weekly meditation retreats as well as various celebration days and feasts which attracts very large crowds and retreatants. I have still to visit it, it is immensely difficult to find a place, they're so full always, it's like a Pureland on earth that temple! It provides a lot of peace for the troubled masses.

Metra :buddha1:
Afrofries; this will be helpful for you, I've a Fo Guang temple near me that I've attended and I'm also a 10 year Pure Land practitioner (with Nichiren periods too). Fo Guang temples practice Ch'an and Pure Land and I know chant Kuan yin's famous dharani The Great Compassion Mantra. Chinese Buddhism is eclectic so there is a good fit for you. Also I attended there and never had to pay a penny for Dharma, the only expense I had was when I took part in a refuge ceremony and bought robes (approx $100), but I am sure that someone would lend you theirs and no one forces you to do so. I also never had to pay a penny when I belonged to an online Nichiren temple for SGI it would be a Butsudan and Gohonzon but that's is it, it certainly has free Dharma. I really respect that and also how inclusive SGI is: bluecollar whitecollar, Hispanic, Black, White it's really unique in Western Buddhism and a great thing.
Additonally Nichiren and Pure Land Buddhism are laymen's practices so their is no problem doing them on your own at all. You don't need a master, though a sangha really is nice and supportive for your practice.

So to sum it up I'd make an effort to make a connection to Nan Hua; do Chan practices at home with Pure Land, try chanting the Great Compassion Mantra or Amituofo. If that doesn't work for you then I'd go to SGI.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

Thank you all for the replies! It is much appreciated :thanks:

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

boda wrote:
DGA wrote:If you want to learn auto mechanics, you can learn by yourself... at the risk of your own safety and that of others.
Religions gain their power from the crowd, so in terms of safety it's actually much safer to practice on ones own. Solo practice can't take advantage of the power in the crowd, on the other hand.
I'm not talking about group practice. I'm talking about seeking the guidance of a teacher who is at least minimally competent.
rory

Post by rory »

AfroFries wrote:Thank you to everyone for your replies! It is much appreciated.

:thanks:

Gassho Afrofries; I just remembered Ven. Huifeng of Fo Guang Shan sometimes posts here, he's a Westerner and in charge of the University in Taiwan but I think he would know Nan Hua and find a nice monk or nun for you to correspond with. That way when you do visit it would be extra helpful.
Here's his link here;
http://www.dharmawheel.net/memberlist.p ... file&u=194

good luck,
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

AfroFries wrote:Hi All,

I'm not affiliated with any Buddhist tradition, I like various practices which I use minimalistically - from the Tibetan Buddhist school I use the Green Tara mantra, Chinese Mahayana the Medicine Buddha Sutra from the Fo Guang Shan school, Zen style mindfulness meditation and I also like the Nam Myoho Renge Kyo chant of the Nichiren tradition.

I like the BuddhaDharma, I like taking refuge in the Three Jewels. I like the Buddhist soteriology and eschatology, it makes sense to me. Buddhism has a practical solution to the angst of the human condition.

I'm universalist, non-sectarian by nature.

In my region there aren't many Buddhist schools. There are two Tibetan Buddhist groups, one a Gelug Temple and the other a centre in the Kagyu lineage. There is also a Soka Gakkai presence, they have a centre as well. I've attended their chanting sessions a few times and I've visited the Tibetan centres.

I'd love it if there was a Shambhala centre here! Their inclusive style is perfect for me.

What do you advise? Should I continue on my own universalist Buddhist path or what would you recommend? The Sangha is very important and as a solitary practitioner there isn't much of a Sangha.

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you :)
A group is quite helpful in providing you means to properly learn and incorporate a practice. A teacher is more important yet! But in the end buddhist praxis is quite different from what most people who come from judeo-christian background may understand.

Asian religions tend to be less institutional, and more of a personal thing. But it's very important to ask guidance from competent sources and lineages. But practice in your own does not make you practice less valid.

But a friendly advice I give you is to avoid mixing too much and forget focusing on something that works for and that you can do consistently. Consistency is the key. If you like to repeat Buddha's name, do it! If you like shamatha, do it consistently. Because not being consistent and focused may make your practice quite pointless and empty.
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote:A group is quite helpful in providing you means to properly learn and incorporate a practice. A teacher is more important yet! But in the end buddhist praxis is quite different from what most people who come from judeo-christian background may understand.

Asian religions tend to be less institutional, and more of a personal thing. But it's very important to ask guidance from competent sources and lineages. But practice in your own does not make you practice less valid.

But a friendly advice I give you is to avoid mixing too much and forget focusing on something that works for and that you can do consistently. Consistency is the key. If you like to repeat Buddha's name, do it! If you like shamatha, do it consistently. Because not being consistent and focused may make your practice quite pointless and empty.

Thank you Nyedrag Yeshe, yes what you say makes sense. I must say I have been very consistent with shamatha practice over the years, it is my root practice.

Thanks again

AfroFries

Post by AfroFries »

rory wrote:Gassho Afrofries; I just remembered Ven. Huifeng of Fo Guang Shan sometimes posts here, he's a Westerner and in charge of the University in Taiwan but I think he would know Nan Hua and find a nice monk or nun for you to correspond with. That way when you do visit it would be extra helpful.
Here's his link here;
http://www.dharmawheel.net/memberlist.p ... file&u=194

good luck,
Rory
Wow, that sounds great! Thanks for that Rory :thanks:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”