Lower Realms and Tathagata Gharba

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
KarmaOcean

Lower Realms and Tathagata Gharba

Post by KarmaOcean »

Do beings in the realms listed below have Tathagata Gharba ?

I refer to these realms:

(4) Ghosts
(3) Asuras
(2) Animal realm
(1) Hell realms
Fortyeightvows

Re: Lower Realms and Tathagata Gharba

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Does a dog have buddha nature?
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Tathagata Gharba means:
Tathagata : he who comes and goes in the same way, being in such a state or condition
http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?scri ... rection=SE

Gharba : born from a womb, foetus, emryo
http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?begi ... =Translate

i think beings in the hell, ghost and asura realms are not born from a womb. only humans and animals are born from a womb.
KarmaOcean

Post by KarmaOcean »

crazy-man wrote:Tathagata Gharba means:
Thanks.
This text might be relevant...
http://huntingtonarchive.org/resources/ ... ha.doc.pdf
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Not quite it this case it is more like store.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

KarmaOcean wrote:Do beings in the realms listed below have Tathagata Gharba ?

I refer to these realms:

(4) Ghosts
(3) Asuras
(2) Animal realm
(1) Hell realms
Yes. All sentient beings without exception have Buddha Nature, Tathagata Garbha. The current environment that the beings find themselves in is due to previous karma and afflicted emotions. However it does not affect their true Buddha Nature in any way.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Fortyeightvows wrote:Does a dog have buddha nature?
Does Howdy Doodie have wooden balls?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Queequeg wrote:Does Howdy Doodie have wooden balls?
:alien:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Queequeg wrote:
Do squirrels have nuts?

Yes, ALL sentient beings (no matter how naughty they may be) have Tathagatagarbha.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Grigoris wrote:
Queequeg wrote:
Do squirrels have nuts?

Yes, ALL sentient beings (no matter how naughty they may be) have Tathagatagarbha.
Isn't there a traditional discourse that only humans can attain awakening? I recall having read that somewhere....
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Coëmgenu wrote:
Grigoris wrote:
Queequeg wrote: Does Howdy Doodie have wooden balls?
Do squirrels have nuts?

Isn't there a traditional discourse that only humans can attain awakening? I recall having read that somewhere....
Let's say that only humans can attain awakening. How many lives have you lived as a non-human sentient being? Where was your potential for enlightenment during those lifetimes?

The potential is always present, just our ability to realise it at a particular point in time may be difficult.

The sun always shines, even when it is obscured by clouds it is still shining.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Grigoris wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:
Grigoris wrote:Do squirrels have nuts?

Let's say that only humans can attain awakening. How many lives have you lived as a non-human sentient being? Where was your potential for enlightenment during those lifetimes?

The potential is always present, just our ability to realise it at a particular point in time may be difficult.

The sun always shines, even when it is obscured by clouds it is still shining.
But what is the use of un-tappable potentiality? Having Buddha-nature is largely irrelevant if it cannot be realized in a given lifetime.

That seems to me in-favour of the notion that only humans really, functionally, have Buddha-nature.

This isn't a hard opinion of mine coming from an entrenched position though, I am quite open to the possibility of this being wrong.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Grigoris wrote: How many lives have you lived as a non-human sentient being?

Grigoris wrote: Where was your potential for enlightenment during those lifetimes?

Coëmgenu wrote: But what is the use of un-tappable potentiality?
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Grigoris wrote: How many lives have you lived as a non-human sentient being?

Grigoris wrote: Where was your potential for enlightenment during those lifetimes?

Coëmgenu wrote: But what is the use of un-tappable potentiality?
That does this mean? No? Is it some kind of negation word? Is this Chinese internet slang?

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Punya

Post by Punya »

But what is the use of un-tappable potentiality? Having Buddha-nature is largely irrelevant if it cannot be realized in a given lifetime.
Because there is a continuity in the potentiality. Hopefully they will be reborn in the human realm in a later lifetime.

This discussion leads to a question for me though. If you are born in one of the pure lands my understanding is that negative karma is suppressed and there are big opportunities to create positive karma, but is this considered a human birth?
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
KarmaOcean

Post by KarmaOcean »

Coëmgenu wrote:But what is the use of un-tappable potentiality? Having Buddha-nature is largely irrelevant if it cannot be realized in a given lifetime.
I disagree. For example, men have nipples but - even if they only help the body regulate temperature - they're not irrelevant.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Fortyeightvows wrote:It's a classic.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gateless_Gate
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaozhou_Congshen

Anyways I was trying to be silly.
Well ..... my first seshin at Zen Mountain Monastery, a guy in robes but not from the temple goes into dokusan with Daido Roshi, there is a pause and then 無!. You could probably have heard it all over the main building and certainly anywhere in the Buddha Hall .... followed by pin drop, dead silence. Then Daido Roshi began "We practice differently here ...".

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Coëmgenu wrote:]But what is the use of un-tappable potentiality?
What is the use in eating and living healthily if you are not sick?
Having Buddha-nature is largely irrelevant if it cannot be realized in a given lifetime.

That seems to me in-favour of the notion that only humans really, functionally, have Buddha-nature.
And where does this Buddha-nature hang out when we are not in a human form?

I am reminded of the Zen tale "The Spider's Thread" (蜘蛛の糸 Kumo) by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa:
Shakyamuni is meandering around Paradise one morning, when he stops at a lotus-filled pond. Between the lilies, he can see, through the crystal-clear waters, the depths of Hell. His eyes come to rest on one sinner in particular, by the name of Kandata. Kandata was a cold-hearted criminal, but had one good deed to his name: while walking through the forest one day, he decided not to kill a spider he was about to crush with his foot. Moved by this single act of compassion, the Buddha takes the silvery thread of a spider in Paradise and lowers it down into Hell.

Down in Hell, the myriad sinners are struggling in the Pool of Blood, in total darkness save for the light glinting off the Mountain of Spikes, and in total silence save for the sighs of the damned. Kandata, looking up by chance at the sky above the pool, sees the spider's thread descending towards him and grabs hold with all the might of a seasoned criminal. The climb from Hell to Paradise is not a short one, however, and Kandata quickly tires.

Dangling from the middle of the rope, he glances downward, and sees how far he has come. Realizing that he may actually escape from Hell, he is overcome by joy and laughs giddily. His elation is short-lived, however, as he realizes that others have started climbing the thread behind him, stretching down into the murky depths below. Fearing that the thread will break from the weight of the others, he shouts that the spider's thread is his and his alone. It is at this moment that the thread breaks, and he and all the other sinners are cast back down into the Pool of Blood.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Punya wrote:Because there is a continuity in the potentiality. Hopefully they will be reborn in the human realm in a later lifetime.
This holds true for the higher realms as well. Buddha taught in Tushita Heaven and Maitreya is currently abiding there. Does Maitreya lack a Tahagatagarbha because he currently does not have the potential to achieve enlightenment, since he is in the God Realms and not the human realm?

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”