Couple of Questions

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Vidyaraja

Couple of Questions

Post by Vidyaraja »

I admit that, comparatively, I don't know as much as Tibetan Buddhism as I should. Since this (and Shingon) are my current areas of focus, I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions for me.

1. What is the relation between Dzogchen/Mahamudra and the Six Yogas of Naropa, such as Tummo? Are these yogas part of the the Dzogchen or Mahamudra practice, how are they related?

2. Regarding the throat singing Tantric Choirs of Tibetan Buddhism, I notice that the most famous--the Gyuto--is associated with the Gelug school. Is the deep throat style mantras and choirs part of all Tibetan schools?

3. Can one begin practicing deity yoga without a teacher based on what one can learn from books and other sources? If not, why not? If so, how does one choose a particular deity/yidam? Is it simply based on what the individual is attracted to or is there a process behind such a decision?

Thanks in advance.
heart

Re: Couple of Questions

Post by heart »

Vidyaraja wrote:
3. Can one begin practicing deity yoga without a teacher based on what one can learn from books and other sources? If not, why not? If so, how does one choose a particular deity/yidam? Is it simply based on what the individual is attracted to or is there a process behind such a decision?

Thanks in advance.
You need an empowerment, oral transmission of the sadhana and explanations how to do the sadhana. You need to accept someone as a Guru to get a empowerment, if not you are just a tourist in the vajra mountains.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Speaking as a newer practitioner..this is my understanding of question 4:

There are places that do Green Tara and Chenrezig group pujas without empowerment, and some also who say it is acceptable to do the practices without empowerment on one's own, though the empowerment is (by my understanding) still something that you should most certainly do when the opportunity exists.

Also seems to be sort of implied that just trying it without ever having done the practice with a qualified person is not a good idea, so just doing it off the internet from scratch seems inadvisable...just my inclination though, I could be wrong. Even things like hearing the melody carry a certain weight that seems like it can't be conveyed outside of person to person practice. I had the exact same question (you can still find my threads on it!) and my conclusion is that i'm very glad I asked the Lama about it rather than just trying it, - the confidence from that seems important, and sets good precedent for the future. I also don't think I would have confidence in any kind of personal practice without having had asked about it, and regularly attending the group practice as well, you could say that there is a certain "tone" to things that maybe isn't there without actually having done a Sadhana led by a teacher...so yeah, find a place to go experience it and go from there.
Last edited by Johnny Dangerous on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Vidyaraja

Post by Vidyaraja »

heart wrote: You need an empowerment, oral transmission of the sadhana and explanations how to do the sadhana. You need to accept someone as a Guru to get a empowerment, if not you are just a tourist in the vajra mountains.

/magnus
I figured as much. I don't disagree , but this begs the question...how did the first practitioners of this tradition accomplish anything since they would have to have been without a guru? The chain must have begun somewhere. Outside of Vajrayana, how did Buddha become enlightened without a guru? I am not equating myself with these sages and their ability to accomplish on their own, I am just curious.

If one accepts someone as their guru, can they change gurus? What if the guru and or his student move away?
heart

Post by heart »

Vidyaraja wrote:
heart wrote: You need an empowerment, oral transmission of the sadhana and explanations how to do the sadhana. You need to accept someone as a Guru to get a empowerment, if not you are just a tourist in the vajra mountains.

/magnus
I figured as much. I don't disagree , but this begs the question...how did the first practitioners of this tradition accomplish anything since they would have to have been without a guru? The chain must have begun somewhere. Outside of Vajrayana, how did Buddha become enlightened without a guru? I am not equating myself with these sages and their ability to accomplish on their own, I am just curious.

If one accepts someone as their guru, can they change gurus? What if the guru and or his student move away?
If you can go to the realm of the dakinis you will find a Guru, at all times.

Sure, you can have several Gurus.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”