Questions on visualizations

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Vajratantrika

Re: Questions on visualizations

Postby Vajratantrika » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 am

Last edited by Vajratantrika on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vajratantrika

Postby Vajratantrika » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 am

conebeckham

Postby conebeckham » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:26 pm

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Yudron

Postby Yudron » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Traditions really are different on this, no joke. It is important to be congruent with your lama's approach. Why? Because the deity is your lama, and deity practice is Guru Yoga. The great rime lamas are able to go to a Kagyu center and teach exactly according to that approach and a Sakya center and teach the Sakya way, but we are ordinary simple householders who should learn one way well.

One's approach to visualization reflects the general approach to deity yoga in one's lineage.
Author of Buddhist young adult fiction. Vlogger at Wisdom and Compassion: Grandma Yudron's Totally Chill Vlog on Meditation and Tibetan Wisdom Blogger at Very active on Twitter.

conebeckham

Postby conebeckham » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 pm

I both agree and disagree, Yudron. How's that for equivocation? :shrug: :smile:

Listen, Kagyupas practice so-called "Sarma" deity practices, and also "terma" (Nyingma) practices, as a matter of course. We Karma Kagyupas like the Chogling Tersar, Konchok Chidu, and of course Yongay Mingyur Dorje's Termas have become a central part of our lineage, along with the Sarma practices of Phagmo, Demchok, etc. The details DO differ, as to how deities are generated, and their nature, etc., etc. No doubt about it. But I think it's possible to learn more than one way, and to understand there are a variety of methods, that complement each other, and "tease out" meaning, but I think these methods shouldn't be mixed. I'm pretty sure all lineages equate the Yidam deity with the Guru, at some level, as well.

On the other hand, I think trying to practice too many sadhanas at once is probably not a good idea for householders like ourselves. One approach is to incorporate all three roots into one practice. Another approach is practice three sadhanas, for each of the roots, and often various systems will combine these anyway. Another point to be made, is that some Lamas recommend a daily practice that incorporates all levels of Tantra--and there are methods to accommodate this within a single sadhana.

It's a huge topic, actually, and maybe not one for too much public discussion, now that I think about it. Which may have been your main point, after all! :smile:

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

TaTa

Postby TaTa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”