Tibetan Calendar

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
practitioner

Re: Tibetan Calendar

Post by practitioner »

The 10th day of Saga Dawa is skipped this year so the Rigpa calendar put Guru Rinpoche on the 11th day. Is this the general rule for practice days that are skipped? What about when practice day is doubled? Thanks
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

practitioner wrote:The 10th day of Saga Dawa is skipped this year so the Rigpa calendar put Guru Rinpoche on the 11th day. Is this the general rule for practice days that are skipped? What about when practice day is doubled? Thanks
The Rigpa calendar for 2139 on page 11 says:
According the the Men Tsee Khang, the Tibetan Medical and Astrological Institute, if a day is missing, then any auspicious event for that day will fall on the next day. However, some do celebrate on the day before.

If a day is doubled, then any anniversary or special event will fall on the first day.
Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
bunny

Post by bunny »

Thank you all for posting links to calendars (I just looked at first page as I am starting to run late). I noticed a link to a google calendar, is there a way to get a google calendar or a calendar so that I can import it to my google calendar? This way I can access the calendar on my phone, tablet and PC.

Once again apologies for not going through the thread and if this has already been posted, please say so. I will look through the thread more closely this afternoon, I just didn't want to forget what I wanted to write.

Blessed Be,

Bunny.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Hi, okay now am back home I got a wee chance to look through the thread and got the calendar downloaded :) thanks kirt for taking the time to provide this. It is appreciated :)

Also sorry for double posting, the option to edit the first post wasn't available to me.

Edit: Is there somewhere I can go that explains the "Naga" etc days.
Blessed Be,

Bunny.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

bunny wrote: Edit: Is there somewhere I can go that explains the "Naga" etc days.
Hello Bunny -

Greg asked me to include Naga Days in the calendar I'm supporting and then sent a pdf document to facilitate that as well as a url to a site following Lama Dawa explaining Naga Days. It turned out that there is some slight inconsistency between the two texts and I have not had time to clarify the couple of issues (from memory I took the union of the two or three documents I had wrt Naga Days.
Nagas are water elemental beings that play a prominent role in all Buddhist schools and are venerated throughout Asia. Making offerings to the Nagas on the astrological days that are associated with their activity, can play an important role in establishing harmony and balance in the environment, as well as cure many kinds of diseases. Practitioners who regularly make offerings to the Nagas and turn them into their allies are often benefitted by ensuring one's prosperity. Many Buddhist Dharma protectors are Nagas and play an important role in the establishment and continuity of the Dharma.
Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

heike

Post by heike »

hi, just found this thread here while searching for a tibetan buddhist online calendar. is there a chance for a 2013 edition?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

heike wrote:hi, just found this thread here while searching for a tibetan buddhist online calendar. is there a chance for a 2013 edition?
Hello Heike - I will be putting out a version of the Tibetan calendar for the upcoming Water Snake year 2013-2014. I'm certain that others will also put out versions as well. So I'm certain that there will be several versions available shortly before or shortly after Losar on 11 February.

In addition, Rigpa and Namse Bangdzo have calendars available now.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I'm eagerly looking forward to your new electronic calender Kirt, it's been a great support to my practice!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:I'm eagerly looking forward to your new electronic calender Kirt, it's been a great support to my practice!
Thamks Greg! Any suggestions for the upcoming version would be greatly appreciated.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Tibetan Calendar?? So...Is there anything special on that calendar for the 21/12? Are they expecting the end of the world? :D
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Nosta wrote:Tibetan Calendar?? So...Is there anything special on that calendar for the 21/12? Are they expecting the end of the world? :D
It's the 9th day of the 11th month. As it is the 9th day, it's a dharmapala day. So get out the black tea, wine, cookies and curl up to your favorite protector prayers or perhaps do Medicine Buddha practice to invoke the Yasha protectors or practice Vajrakilaya.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

plwk

Post by plwk »

hi, just found this thread here while searching for a tibetan buddhist online calendar. is there a chance for a 2013 edition?
Try this

Btw, just out of curiosity, does anyone know if tsog days are the same across all of the Tibetan Buddhist lineages? Or does it vary from one to another? :thanks:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:I'm eagerly looking forward to your new electronic calender Kirt, it's been a great support to my practice!
I will be unable to have an e-calendar ready by Losar as I lost the computer that the previous code was on (the hard drive died). I will see if I have a previous version of the code but the program was also written in Java and that has become a target for attacks and I do not want to potentially subject anyone to hacking. The recent zero-day exploits seem to affect Java 7 only so anything in Java 6 should be okay and all previous versions were Java 6. So I could probably have a minimal version running by Losar.

Another issue is that I was forced to leave the DC area and am destitute. Hopefully temp work will come in but my current temp work has fallen to ~ 6 hrs a week and I need 15-20 to build my cash reserves back up (or 40-80 but that isn't happening). So I am facing very difficult times right now. I have said on FB and privately that the holy beings have abandoned me and this seems to me to be very true. The outworking of karma has always been mixed for me but the past 3.5 years have been disastrous.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Nobody has abandoned you kirtu. You know that! :smile: Karma is not the whim of holy beings, it is 100% ours.

My HD crashed recently taking 300Gb of Dharma music, books and videos with it. I have been un/underemployed for longer than I can remember. Is this the holy ones abandoning me too? Shiiiiiiit, if it was like that then they have abandoned over 90% of the worlds population. No my friend, it's just karma. Do your best. Don't beat yourself up. Maybe it'll work out. Maybe it'll get worse. Your mind is still yours to work with, regardless of the circumstances.
(19) When the things we require for daily consumption
And use, fall apart or are wasted or spoilt,
This is the wheel of sharp weapons returning
Full circle upon us from wrongs we have done.
Till now we’ve been careless with others’ possessions;
Hereafter let’s give them whatever they need.
(21) When our minds are disturbed and we feel great frustration
That things never happen the way that we wish,
This is the wheel of sharp weapons returning
Full circle upon us from wrongs we have done.
Till now we have caused interfering disturbance
When others were focused on virtuous acts;
Hereafter let’s stop causing such interruption.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Small calender with practice days that I slapped together.

I have not included main events.

The naga days are based on the Kalachakra calender dates as per Lama Dawa. I give only the most auspicious days.

The numbers in the Buddha Shakyamuni days shows which Tibetan month begins on that date.

I have also not included the minor dharmapala days which fall between Sangye Menla and Guru Rinpoche day.

Oh yeah, Sangye Menla day is also Tara day...
2015 Lunar Calendar 2.jpg
2015 Lunar Calendar 2.jpg (395.44 KiB) Viewed 25489 times

Wayfaring_Man

Post by Wayfaring_Man »

For Android phone havers, the Drukpa lineage has just released their calendar as an app. It can read 15 days ahead for free, or indefinitely with a subscription.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.calendar
Wouldn't it be best to resolve to be done with business and distraction?
Although you serve your superiors, they will never be pleased.
Although you care for your subordinates, they will never be satisfied.
Although you consider the wishes of others with affection, they will never give you a thought.
Think about it, make a definite choice.
~ Patrul Rinpoche, "The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones"
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

kirtu wrote:
Ngawang Drolma wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Tashi delek Laura, :)

Thanks for your link about a Tibetan Dharma Calendar.

But maybe could i add this link too?
http://home.valornet.com/overbeck/tibet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes for our auspicious days

Mutsog Marro
Kalden Yungdrung
I love this one, I always used it until I got a Mac. I can't find a mac version to download anywhere. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be most grateful!

Best,
Laura
We could easily write a Java version (which will run on all machines) and give it to Buz.

Kirt

Tashi delek L and K,

I did read that Buz did pass away.
So his Tibetan Calendar is not anymore available.

Mutsug Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Tashi delek L and K,

I did read that Buz did pass away.
So his Tibetan Calendar is not anymore available.

Mutsug Marro
KY
Kalden - Buz did pass away several years ago. I rolled out a Tibetan Calendar based on his for two years but shortly after that the machine I was working on died and I didn't have a backup. So I haven't found the time in two years to rewrite the Java calendar.

Nowadays most (or at least many) people have Android devices and there are several Tibetan Buddhist calendars for Android that are excellent.

Here is one that looks promising and has excellent artwork (no software that I write will ever have excellent artwork): http://ppclink.com/apps/os/android/prod ... endar.html This calendar app can be found on Google Play.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Wayfaring_Man

Post by Wayfaring_Man »

That above one is very good.

Please be careful with the calendars on Google Play. At least one very nice calendar I have used on Android is also full of practice texts for a particular demon.

The one he just linked as well as the Drukpa one I linked before that are both fine, however.
Wouldn't it be best to resolve to be done with business and distraction?
Although you serve your superiors, they will never be pleased.
Although you care for your subordinates, they will never be satisfied.
Although you consider the wishes of others with affection, they will never give you a thought.
Think about it, make a definite choice.
~ Patrul Rinpoche, "The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones"
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

They don't have Naga days though! :(

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”