Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote:
Do we still act on our afflictions? If so, then there continues to be a reason for Buddhadharma.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

From "How to believe in rebirth":
m
The point is that the only way to transcend the Buddha's teaching is to become a buddha oneself. This does not happen merely by wishing it to be so.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Can One Mind Enter Another?
A mind is both unimpeded and unimpeding by nature.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Kim

Post by Kim »

I've also seen many wonderful quotes by Malcolm. Thank you for them.

May I ask if you/he has any formal qualification? Is he a holder of some lineage?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kim wrote:I've also seen many wonderful quotes by Malcolm. Thank you for them.

May I ask if you/he has any formal qualification? Is he a holder of some lineage?
Yes, I have formal qualifications.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

He's got the qualification of having made nearly 20,000 posts here! Holy :jawdrop: !
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:He's got the qualification of having made nearly 20,000 posts here! Holy :jawdrop: !
Among other things....yes.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Malcolm wrote:

Wonderful. In which traditions? Given by who?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kim wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

I completed a three year solitary retreat of mixed Sakya and Nyingma practices, between 1993 and 1997.

I was given the title "Ācarya" (slob dpon) by Khenpo Migmar Tseten, Buddhist Chaplain of Harvard, Sakya, in 2004.

I was encouraged to teach by the late Kunzang Dechen Lingpa in 2006, who confirmed my Ācarya title, and also conferred the formal Ngakpa ordination upon me.

I was given the title of "Lama" by Lama Ngawang Tsultrim of Dongag Tharling in New Orleans, Nyingma, in 2008.

I am a Doctor of Tibetan Medicine, having graduated from the Shang Shung Medical School in 2009.

I have a forthcoming book, a translation of a seminal text in the Dzogchen tradition, available from Wisdom Pub., Dec. 6th, 2016.

Any qualities I possess I derive from the kindness of my gurus.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Wonderful. Thank you. Looking for to your book.
CapNCrunch

Post by CapNCrunch »

I was happy to see this thread. It think it's important to let people know when their efforts are appreciated and helpful - especially when they make an effort year after year out of a sincere desire, and capacity, to help.

I have lurked for many years on 3 or four forums, some now defunct - rarely posting, primarily to see Namdrol's writings and what will be drawn from this ocean of learning here in the mosh-pit of cyber space. I have folders of things I've quietly copied, pasted and enjoyed over and over, or e-mailed to myself, or my wife who's a practitioner. We have spent hours reading these things and discussing together. I won't paste my treasure trove here b/c they are personal to me, and would be necessarily removed from the context in which they were written.

Namdrol - thanks for the teachings, clarifications, memories, comments, Namdrolisms, patient questions answered in PM's and when I've reached out on the phone. Most of all for the translations and Doha's you post from time to time based on your own experience. Your efforts have not gone unappreciated, and have been signposts along the way, a true reflection of the perfect wisdom and example of our incomparable teacher.
“I say good-bye to hope, but I also say goodbye to hope's disappointment.”

David Levithan
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

CapNCrunch wrote:I was happy to see this thread. It think it's important to let people know when their efforts are appreciated and helpful - especially when they make an effort year after year out of a sincere desire, and capacity, to help.

I have lurked for many years on 3 or four forums, some now defunct - rarely posting, primarily to see Namdrol's writings and what will be drawn from this ocean of learning here in the mosh-pit of cyber space. I have folders of things I've quietly copied, pasted and enjoyed over and over, or e-mailed to myself, or my wife who's a practitioner. We have spent hours reading these things and discussing together. I won't paste my treasure trove here b/c they are personal to me, and would be necessarily removed from the context in which they were written.

Namdrol - thanks for the teachings, clarifications, memories, comments, Namdrolisms, patient questions answered in PM's and when I've reached out on the phone. Most of all for the translations and Doha's you post from time to time based on your own experience. Your efforts have not gone unappreciated, and have been signposts along the way, a true reflection of the perfect wisdom and example of our incomparable teacher.
:good:
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Malcolm wrote:
Kim wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
I completed a three year solitary retreat of mixed Sakya and Nyingma practices, between 1993 and 1997.
May i ask where did you do the retreat? Im looking for ideas. Thanks
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TaTa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Kim wrote:
May i ask where did you do the retreat? Im looking for ideas. Thanks
In Central MA, but the place, literally, no longer exists.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

This one struck home for me today:

"For example, previously one could not recognize gold. However one can recognize gold when instructed in how to recognize it, but that gold is not produced by the recognition. Likewise, previously one could not recognize dharmatā. However one can recognize dharmatā when instructed in how to recognize it, but that dharmatā is not produced by the recognition.

"Unlike gold, however, dharmatā is not a conditioned or compounded entity. Dharmatā does not arise dependent on the introduction. Dharmatā, one's own nature, is present whether or not it is recognized, like the wish-fulfilling gem concealed under the lintel of a pauper's door.

"Just as a gold bed pan or a gold Buddha statue are equally made of gold, when our own nature is not recognized, it is called "the basis." When it is recognized, it is called "the result," but it has itself undergone no transformation at all. For this reason then, the result is never conditioned because the basis is never conditioned. Nonrecognition of the basis is not a fault of the basis, it is a fault of the consciousness which apprehends the basis. When the basis is rightly apprehended, this is called vidyā, rig pa or knowledge. When the basis is incorrectly apprehended, this is called avidyā, ma rig pa, or ignorance."

From Comparing paths...
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Malcolm very kindly gave a rendering from Buddhapalita's commentary on Chapter 15 of MMK. Not really an inspirational quote, but definitely something I really appreciated and would like to not lose.
If there is something existent, it is counted as something self-existent (svabhāva) or dependently existent (parabhāva). Because of that, if there is self existence and dependent existence, existents will be established. Also when there is no self existence, at that time there is also no dependent existence; there is no description of an existence not included in self existence and dependent existence, where will that existence alone, without becoming self or dependently [existent]?
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

On the two truths
There is no need to reconcile them. Relative truth is an appearance to a nonanalytical mind. Ultimate truth is found upon analysis of those appearances. Why? Because as Candra points out, all things bear two natures, one relative (pre-analytical) and one ultimate (post-analytical). This is why, until Buddhahood, there is an equipoise (ultimate truth) and post-equipoise (relative truth) phase of insight meditation. In buddhahood, the mind is completely integrated with ultimate truth, and there is no division into equipoise and post-equipoise. The buddhas have no false cognitions at all.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

The domain of Buddhadharma is bring suffering to an end.
found here How Madhyamika Philosophy Solves the Mystery of Quantum Physics
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Malcolm wrote:
manjusri wrote:A follow-up question: given that the two truths don't exist in Dzogchen, can one even say that there is a path to realizing rigpa or beings who attain it? How does one hold onto the Middle Way here without falling into nihilism?
When existence is not established nonexistence is not established and thus there is no nihilism into which one could fall.

Simple yet very meaningful. The best of words. Thanks once again!
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Malcolm wrote:The classical notion of the two truths hinges on vidyā and āvidyā being different, the former veridical and the latter false. But in fact vidyā and avidyā are just opposite sides of one coin, or even avidyā has vidyā.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”