Buddhist Retirement Community?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
omph

Buddhist Retirement Community?

Post by omph »

Are there any Buddhist Retirement Communities (and possibly end-of-life residence)? I think it would be a great idea.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Buddhist Retirement Community?

Post by kirtu »

catlady2112 wrote:Are there any Buddhist Retirement Communities (and possibly end-of-life residence)? I think it would be a great idea.
In another forum we had extensive discussions on various kinds of Buddhist intentional communities. During these discussions we touched on this topic as well.

I have more recently heard of plans for a Buddhist retirement community. I'll look those plans up. There are in fact several Buddhist hospices starting with the first associated with the San Francisco Zen Community.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Adi

Post by Adi »

catlady2112 wrote:Are there any Buddhist Retirement Communities (and possibly end-of-life residence)? I think it would be a great idea.
Yes. One hospice I know about, Tara Home, is at Land of Medicine Buddha, run by the FPMT folks. I've only heard good things about it.

http://www.tarahome.org

Adi
HePo

Post by HePo »

Kirtu wrote:
I have more recently heard of plans for a Buddhist retirement community. I'll look those plans up.
Perhaps you're thinking of http://blogs.sfzc.org/blog/2012/09/05/s ... community/?
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I think it is a good idea, but maybe one whose time hasn't quite come yet. I have often thought that later in life I would like to retire to a Buddhist meditative community where there were daily chantings and meditation and a Buddhist calendar observed. That probably won't be for some years, as I am in no position to retire at this time and anticipate working for probably another decade, health and circumstances permitting. There are some retreat centres I know about but none of them are really set up for retirees in particular. Actually that would be a very big undertaking; I don't think that there is enough of a presence here to provide the resources for it. But it would be a marvellous idea.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

I'd feel more positive for the future of Buddhism in America if people were asking about Buddhist day care centers.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Jinzang wrote:I'd feel more positive for the future of Buddhism in America if people were asking about Buddhist day care centers.
That's true. We do have at least two Buddhist hs's (in Hawaii and California) and a couple of Buddhist or Buddhist oriented elementary schools. However I have never heard of a Buddhist day care center.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
omph

Post by omph »

Jinzang wrote:I'd feel more positive for the future of Buddhism in America if people were asking about Buddhist day care centers.
I've always thought elderly care and day care should be in the same building. They both have a lot to offer to each other.

One of my favorite quotes for anyone of any age: Death is certain but the time of death is uncertain
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Not quite day-care, but there is Alaya Pre-school in Boulder. My son went there 30+ years ago and it's still going strong.

:anjali:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

pemachophel wrote:Not quite day-care, but there is Alaya Pre-school in Boulder. My son went there 30+ years ago and it's still going strong.

:anjali:
Indeed, Alaya Pre-school, yet another Shambhala or Shambhala inspired activity.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Sue

Post by Sue »

This one sounds like it's in exploratory stages...
http://www.thebuddhisthome.org/
dharmatart

Post by dharmatart »

I'm a student nurse right now that spends her time dreaming of such a place. "My" vision: retirement, assisted living, skilled care and hospice together. (Easier to dream of I know) with the able body residents working in the garden, the kitchen, maintenance etc etc. Daily meditation and prayer with a resident teacher. A place that supports death as that moment arises, but also as the journey leads to it. At the same time we can support living and encourage further exploration - allowing creativity to continue to the end of life. The more I speak to the elderly and hear what they are going through, the more WE NEED to do this.....somehow. :juggling: :heart:
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

There are certainly such retirement communities in Taiwan.
Manju

Post by Manju »

I am female, 55 years old, live and work in Kathmandu since 1998, Buddhist practitioner since 2004, all steps till Ati.

Wanted to retire myself in Kyangin Gompa, Langtang Valley (few hundred meters south of Tibetan border) and perhaps establish something for others there.

Unfortunately the Langtang Valley is destroyed through the earthquake, not much goes there before 2017, Kyangin Gompa villagers sit in tents in Kathmandu.

So far my plans and karmic events.

Are you scared of being cut of from any `western style` supply in a high Tibetan Valley at the age of 82 ?
Then do NOT follow my plans.

:hi:

Manju (this post is completely serious)
Manju

Post by Manju »

Life in the Himalayas...and this center perhaps a place for retirement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02x1hpf

Manju
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

Buddhist long term retirement and retreat is something I think quite a bit about and something I discuss with many of our dharma siblings. My aspiration would be to create a space where people could retire early, perhaps at 55 or so, and then have support to do long term extended retreat, while periodically falling back into a support role for those doing retreat. In practice I've realized this is nearly impossible, largely because of the insanity of health care in America. The collective would have to be financially responsible for people's health care costs for 5+ years until they reach the age of being able to qualify for MediCare. In practice I've also realized this is nearly impossible for a variety of social reasons.

I've also thought about the fact that it is largely people later in life, as they have fewer responsibilities with grown children and the like, who would be best suited, in many ways, doing longer term retreat to train as dharma teachers and mentors. The life experience certainly helps. It would be nice to find a solution where people on the verge of retirement could enter retreat and train and come out into retirement as dharma teachers and mentors. It would also be nice to consider models where such people could spend their retirement in service to, but also supported by, dharma communities.

Just two thoughts that go through my mind.
Peacekeeper16

Post by Peacekeeper16 »

The need for a Buddhist Retirement Community

I'm wondering if a Buddhist retirement community exists or might be in the making. I'm thinking it would serve folks (like myself) already on social security and medicare who have no responsibilities for children or other family care. The monthly social security payments would pay the residential costs and medicare and medicare supplements or a health plan like Medicare Advantage would pay health costs. The residents would also work in some kind of monastery business to provide additional income for the upkeep of the facility and its members.

Anyone else interested in this idea?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”