How does the "Bodhicitta Movitation" practice help people?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
omph

How does the "Bodhicitta Movitation" practice help people?

Post by omph »

I understand that it is important to want to practice for the sake of benefiting others, but if they have to wait until I get enlightened, that will probably be a long time.

How does the Bodhicitta movitation really help others before Enlightenment? I'm looking for an explanation beyond the "girl scout good citizen" reasons (that if I'm a good person, I will treat people better and stay out of trouble) or the "magic" reasons (if I wish for it like a prayer, it might magically send energy to someone).

I read a statement by a Lama that the Bodhicitta motivation (and dedication) without concern for ourselves causes a "flourishing" of activities to benefit others. I'm assuming he means it automatically happens without us even trying or thinking about it. That is interesting to me. Although I'm not sure how that might happen if someone was on solitary retreat.

Any views on this for my practice?
Nicholas Weeks

Re: How does the "Bodhicitta Movitation" practice help peopl

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I doubt he meant "it automatically happens". If your practice leads to you doing nothing helpful, if nothing is 'flourishing' in your life that benefits others, then your practice is not.

You do not have to jump to the nearest homeless shelter and start lading out soup (but that would be helpful). Your motivation should, at some point, lead you to find avenues or the avenues will find you.

Reciting sutras or writing them out etc. there are many ways to benefit beings, in addition to physical service.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

catlady2112 wrote:I understand that it is important to want to practice for the sake of benefiting others, but if they have to wait until I get enlightened, that will probably be a long time.

How does the Bodhicitta movitation really help others before Enlightenment? I'm looking for an explanation beyond the "girl scout good citizen" reasons (that if I'm a good person, I will treat people better and stay out of trouble) or the "magic" reasons (if I wish for it like a prayer, it might magically send energy to someone).

I read a statement by a Lama that the Bodhicitta motivation (and dedication) without concern for ourselves causes a "flourishing" of activities to benefit others. I'm assuming he means it automatically happens without us even trying or thinking about it. That is interesting to me. Although I'm not sure how that might happen if someone was on solitary retreat.

Any views on this for my practice?

IME it will become obvious after a certain amount of time of "faking t until you make it".

An example from my own life:

I have a terrible temper, recently my wife and I got into a (loud) argument with my in-laws (something that unfortunately happens regularly when my wife and I are around them), I don't know whose "fault" it was, but I do know from a Mahayana perspective that I need to just accept responsibility that I alone can change it, there is no possibility of me altering the world to make it easier for me.

This time I was able to stop the fight in the middle, apologize sincerely for my part, and let them know that regardless of the things we said to one another, they were family and we respected their opinions. They were almost in shock I think..the usual pattern of fighting every time they visit was disrupted. I don't know what this will mean for the future, but I can say a certain tension which was always there before seems to have diminished. I did not allow myself to be a doormat either..I did not acknowledge their opinion as being the correct one, I simply acknowledged my complicity in destructive behavior, and my desire to not continue with it.

Kind of a boring an thoroughly unimpressive example (hey, i'm a beginner)..but you get the idea.

Obviously, if you take a bunch of little examples like this, there is a true net effect on your relationships to your life, your baggage, everything, not only on you, but on those you know, therefore there is an effect on those they know etc. etc., as nothing at all exists in a vacuum.

My basic understanding of it is that we normally operate under the influence of the three poisons in many of our interactions, if we can avoid this, we can create the causes and conditions not only conducive to our own betterment, but for others as well.

AS to someone in solitary retreat, the way it makes sense to me (and is mentioned in some teachings) is that all practice creates and cultivates "white seeds" in the storehouse consciousness, which will one day come to fruition as virtuous deeds.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

It helps the practitioner in his or her *own* practice.
The bigger your motivation, the scope of your thinking beyond
concern with self, the better. If you can make your intention
infinite, how does it affect your mind?

Now if you happen to actually have reached the path of seeing or
above, you actually have direct perception of emptiness, then
you are a real bodhisattva. And if you are on the higher bhumis
then actually have capacity to benefit others.

On the other hand, my teacher always said when people asked what's
the point of promising the impossible? Since nobody is trying, that itself
is amazing. And since every being's phenomena is their own mind, if you
actually accomplish Buddhahood, then you have perfectly
pure perception. Then, where are the sentient beings?
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

Whatever action you do with bodhichitta becomes an action for the benefit of all living beings. For example, if you give money to a beggar with bodhichitta, you get the merit of having given money to every single living being. Actions done with bodhichitta accumulate huge merit and with merit we can quickly fulfil all our wishes.

Bodhichitta is also essential for achieving enlightenment as it's not possible to enter the path to enlightenment without it. When you become enlightened you will be able to benefit each and every living being every day and guide them to true happiness. In short, bodhichitta is the best friend we can have and the greatest quality we can develop. I would urge you to seek out a book on lamrim meditations that describes the benefits of bodhichitta and to contemplate those benefits - the importance of this precious mind will quickly become clear.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I don't have it.
It’s eye blinking.
Osho

Post by Osho »

LastLegend wrote:I don't have it.

Same here.
Not sure I'd choose to meet anyone claiming possession thereof either.
:?
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Do you want to know the answer to this question only to benefit yourself,
or do you want to know the answer for the benefit of all beings?
I think, if you answer this one first,
then the answer to the question you posed will come to you naturally.
:smile:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Vajraprajnakhadga

Post by Vajraprajnakhadga »

My teacher would probably say that the first thing is to be kind, genuinely kind. Even if bodhicitta and bodhisattva motivation seem vague and abstract to a person, they can practice and treat others with kindness. Genuine kindness makes the world better, and creates an environment where the Dharma can flourish. This benefits all beings.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Yes, but there's still benefit in aspiring to have it.

I think of the effect of the bodhicitta motivation as being like ripples on the pond: as you change, it encourages others to change and so it spreads. JD provides a great example.

You can also use this motivation in a practical way by doing transcription, editing or translation work for your teacher or financially supporting a favourite monastery or group, sponsoring a puja, etc etc ie supporting dharma activities that will have much greater effect than you alone may be able to achieve.

Everyday girl scout good citizen activities shouldn't be discounted either. With the right motivation, helping others not only helps them, it also weakens our own self clinging which in turn benefits others.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
omph

Post by omph »

Thanks to all of these interesting answers. If I could refine my question it would be that:

-I believe the Bodhisattva motivation is a good attitude, and I authentically wish I could relieve people of suffering. But since I can't make any difference until I'm "enlightened" (which seems like a far-off almost impossible goal to achieve), it ends up feeling like a "fake" exercise, because it really doesn't really help anyone at all. :(
omph

Post by omph »

Punya wrote:
Yes, but there's still benefit in aspiring to have it.

I think of the effect of the bodhicitta motivation as being like ripples on the pond: as you change, it encourages others to change and so it spreads. JD provides a great example.

You can also use this motivation in a practical way by doing transcription, editing or translation work for your teacher or financially supporting a favourite monastery or group, sponsoring a puja, etc etc ie supporting dharma activities that will have much greater effect than you alone may be able to achieve.

Everyday girl scout good citizen activities shouldn't be discounted either. With the right motivation, helping others not only helps them, it also weakens our own self clinging which in turn benefits others.
Thanks for this viewpoint. It is encouraging. I had a monk once tell me something very radical that I never have heard anywhere else: He said that guidelines in the 8 fold path (what to do / not do) have nothing to do with being a good person and may not even help others. The ultimate purpose of them is to reduce ego and self-centeredness. That made me think a lot and helped me go beyond my girl scout activities.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

catlady2112 wrote:Thanks to all of these interesting answers. If I could refine my question it would be that:

-I believe the Bodhisattva motivation is a good attitude, and I authentically wish I could relieve people of suffering. But since I can't make any difference until I'm "enlightened" (which seems like a far-off almost impossible goal to achieve), it ends up feeling like a "fake" exercise, because it really doesn't really help anyone at all. :(
Here's what I can contribute to your new question.

My Root Lama. who really was a mahasiddha, always pointed out that we should try.
He said that we ought to be on guard against the demon of belief that we cannot do it!
Or that realization is far off-- we must kill that demon. The antidote is to believe in
one's own Buddha Nature and stubbornly keep taking action to create merit, purification,
receive blessings and dispel obstacles. Then, enlightenment *might* be the very next moment.
We need to cultivate that kind of vision, that kind of possibility. To do so you really have to be
a good actor and believe in your script and character (yidam).

I hope this is helpful.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

catlady2112 wrote:Although I'm not sure how that might happen if someone was on solitary retreat.
It manifests itself when one returns from the solitary retreat.
catlady2112 wrote:Thanks to all of these interesting answers. If I could refine my question it would be that:

I disagree that you can't make any difference until you are "enlightened". :smile: I believe it says somewhere in the Lotus Sutra that you don't need to be fully enlightened in order to be helpful. For example, simply not being an asshole is helpful to people. A zen teacher once said that "Saving all beings means greeting them whole-heartedly wherever we meet them". You don't need to have already attained Anuttara-Samyak-Sambodhi in order to do that.

:namaste:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
omph

Post by omph »

seeker242 wrote:
catlady2112 wrote:Although I'm not sure how that might happen if someone was on solitary retreat.
It manifests itself when one returns from the solitary retreat.

I disagree that you can't make any difference until you are "enlightened". :smile: I believe it says somewhere in the Lotus Sutra that you don't need to be fully enlightened in order to be helpful. For example, simply not being an asshole is helpful to people. A zen teacher once said that "Saving all beings means greeting them whole-heartedly wherever we meet them". You don't need to have already attained Anuttara-Samyak-Sambodhi in order to do that.

:namaste:
I really like that quote you mentioned: "Saving all beings means greeting them whole-heartedly wherever we meet them"
I feel like that is something I can do.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”