Red Tara thesis

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dzogchungpa

Red Tara thesis

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Palzang Jangchub

Re: Red Tara thesis

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Here's the direct link to it on Oxford University's website: http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/primo_lib ... h019276035

It requires you to log in with your Oxford or Bodleian cardholder info to request a download, so I've asked my friend at Oxford to get a copy for me. Will let you know how it turns out, and if I can post a direct link to it here without breaking copyright, I will.

Lots of universities allow even non-students to read their theses/dissertations in full, so I'm not sure why Oxford is being more strict... :shrug:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

To follow up on my earlier post, I've spoken with my friend at Oxford and according to him the dissertation is only available as a hardcopy and not online or as an electronic file. Thus I won't be able to get a copy.

Sorry ladies and gents! Looks like we'll have to settle for the review for now...

:coffee:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Well then.... a book must be made.
:namaste:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Greg

Post by Greg »

It has some interesting info about Traktung Stu Khepa.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read this tomorrow but looks interesting. I'm familiar with Kurukulle from Lama Tharchin Rinpoche and have always been interested in differences with Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche.

Seems like H H Chhimed Rigdzin Rinpoche was a popular guy. Very, very strange.
I should be meditating.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Interesting read. Not totally finished but read the chapters that stood out.
I should be meditating.
Greg

Post by Greg »

lorem wrote:Interesting read. Not totally finished but read the chapters that stood out.
Yeah, it is a nice resource. Red Tara is one of my favorite practices, but I didn't really have any of this background.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Yeah I'll have to try to finish it this weekend. I have the FPMT Red Tara sadhana and is a Tara practice not Kurukulle. I'll have to look for that one.

Yeah interesting stuff.
I should be meditating.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Unfortunately, the link to said thesis is not available any longer. Does anyone still have access to this document? I am familiar with Kurukulla, and I'd love to hear more about Red Tara.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Does anyone know to what extent Red Tara and Kurukulla are considered the same, or to which they are not? It's really hard to find any information on this topic out there.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

fckw wrote:Unfortunately, the link to said thesis is not available any longer. Does anyone still have access to this document? I am familiar with Kurukulla, and I'd love to hear more about Red Tara.
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md ... 62af3cd01e
fckw

Post by fckw »

Thanks! (Did not really understand that I had to click on the displayed thesis front side for download. But now it works.)
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

fckw wrote:Does anyone know to what extent Red Tara and Kurukulla are considered the same, or to which they are not? It's really hard to find any information on this topic out there.
This is my understanding so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Kurukulle and Red Tara are considered different deities, with different mantras, even though Kurukulle is red, and is often (though I think not always) considered a form of Tara. Thus why people often just call Kurukulle "red Tara". But they aren't one in the same and are different practices, even if they have a lot of similarities.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”