Pema Khandro?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dzogchungpa

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by dzogchungpa »

mutsuk wrote:
Clarence wrote:
mutsuk wrote:Why don't you challenge her to a debate? I would love to see that. :-)
Too easy. She has no training.
MM vs PK? Now THAT would be something to see. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I removed a very disrespectful answer by mutsuk. Please regard the ToS:
No Trolling
No Spam
No Proselytizing
No Ad Hominem/Personal Attacks
No Discriminating Against Members on the Basis of their Gender, Sexual Preferences, Ethnic Group, Language, etc
No Badmouthing of other Buddhist Discussion Forums and this includes no active links and / or references to sites that permit gossip and negative views towards other Buddhist forums
No meta-discussion (i.e. discussion about discussion), unsubstantiated allegations against members, solicitation of funds, proselytizing, and the advocating or promotion of illegal activity.
No Plagiarism
No Double Posting
No Disclosure of Internal Private Messages/Off-Site Emails or Any Type of Private Correspondence Without Prior Consent from the Sender
No Inappropriate Language
No Inappropriate Images/Audio/Video
No Advertising/Commercial Links in Signatures/Posts
No Discussions about Shugden/Dolgyal
Feel free to pm me, if there is anything you don't understand.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

dzogchungpa wrote:Well, nobody seems to want to recommend something, so here's one:

phpBB [video]
BTW, it seems that this video can no longer be viewed on other websites, so here is the youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zouDQoD5_Qs
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

How curious. I've seen her before at teachings and empowerments. I had no idea she was famous on the internet and actually a teacher. From a distance, she just seems like a dedicated practitioner in the Nyingma tradition.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Thread temporarily locked for review.
Back soon.

:coffee:
Kim
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I have taken an extraordinary measure as a courtesy to the students of the person under consideration: I have edited some posts and removed others that contradict our updated policy on enlightened speech (they were made before this policy was put into place). Any discontinuity in the discussion lies there.

I have also reopened the thread as a courtesy to the same persons, and would like to repeat my invitation to them to rebut, with facts and reason, any misstatements, inaccuracies, or outright slanders that may be present in this thread. This is a public forum, and as such, multiple perspectives are presented. Some of them will inevitably be contrary to your own convictions. If you would like to convince others of your point of view, then rebut those posts that you know to be counterfactual... with facts. That is how public debate works.

I also ask our members to remember that many of the same criticisms of this individual have already been made. If it's a dead horse, don't beat it. Instead, if anyone has any new or compelling evidence or ideas that bear upon this discussion, then by all means bring it up.

This thread has been way too much work for our team. If it becomes a problem again, we are closing it for good. But because it comes up right away in a google search for the term "Pema Khandro," those in her organization may have some incentive to speak up.

Thank you for your understanding.
Soap-Bubble

Post by Soap-Bubble »

mutsuk wrote:Agreed. Not to mention the Aro-gter endorsement which was mentioned above in this thread.
What's wrong with Aro-gter?

I've heard only a little of that direction so far and I'd appreciate someone enlightening me. This is for self-education, not for enjoying scandals or whatever.
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Soap-Bubble

Post by Soap-Bubble »

Thank you, mutsuk.
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

SatyaDakshina wrote: 1. Like most serious Tibetan Buddhists, she has more than one name. These were names and titles given from her Lamas. As per the Tibetan Buddhist tradition and her Lama's instructions she is teaching with the name of her tulku lineage.

So which Lama gave her the name Kali Ma?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

...but any teacher who feels the need to be known by some special title, given to him or her under dubious circumstances, is not, in my opinion, someone you can completely entrust your spiritual future to, as with a genuine Vajrayana lama.
I, for one, am not prone to accepting Steven Seagal as an authentic Vajrayana teacher even though his recognition was from an impeccable and verified source. We are free to make our own choices. However in the case of a verified recognition I think a modicum of respect is appropriate, even if you do not personally find the person compelling.
Of course, this caveat also knocks out a fairly large percentage of Western teachers on the scene today.
We each make our own decisions and are responsible for the consequences, for good or bad. I tend towards the conservative end of the spectrum in this regard.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

smcj wrote: a modicum of respect is appropriate, even if you do not personally find the person compelling.
[...]
We each make our own decisions and are responsible for the consequences, for good or bad.
:good:

I wanted to underscore these two points. Probing and asking questions in the spirit of inquiry is laudable, but what's the use in piling on or engaging in gossip?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

OK, here are some questions. According to http://www.pemakhandro.org/pema-khandro/
She was recognized and enthroned as the tulku (reincarnation) of a nineteenth century yogini who practiced in the Nyingma and Kagyu lineages in Eastern Tibet.
What is the name of this yogini?
She has a master’s degree in the study of Tibetan Buddhism
Which institution granted this degree?
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

dzogchungpa wrote:OK, here are some questions. According to http://www.pemakhandro.org/pema-khandro/
She was recognized and enthroned as the tulku (reincarnation) of a nineteenth century yogini who practiced in the Nyingma and Kagyu lineages in Eastern Tibet.
It would also be helpful to know when and where the enthronement ceremony took place, and the circumstances under which she was recognized. I would think this person's organization would be keen to clarify this, given that the clarity around these issues seem to attract criticism.

And when did she complete her post-baccalaureate work?

As an aside, the Ngakpa International website uses slightly different copy:
She was recognized and enthroned as the tulku (reincarnation) of a nineteenth century emanation of Varayogini and White Tara who taught and practiced in the Nyingma and Kagyu lineages in Eastern Tibet
:shrug:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Jikan wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:OK, here are some questions. According to http://www.pemakhandro.org/pema-khandro/
It would also be helpful to know when and where the enthronement ceremony took place, and the circumstances under which she was recognized. I would think this person's organization would be keen to clarify this, given that the clarity around these issues seem to attract criticism.

And when did she complete her post-baccalaureate work?

As an aside, the Ngakpa International website uses slightly different copy:
She was recognized and enthroned as the tulku (reincarnation) of a nineteenth century emanation of Varayogini and White Tara who taught and practiced in the Nyingma and Kagyu lineages in Eastern Tibet
:shrug:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

frank123

Post by frank123 »

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Why did you post that video frank? I'm not sure how it relates to the discussion here, or furthers it.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

On the other hand, wondering what others think of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zouDQoD5_Qs
frank123

Post by frank123 »

Adamantine wrote:
Why did you post that video frank? I'm not sure how it relates to the discussion here, or furthers it.
I posted it Adamantine because we are disscussing Pema Khandro teachings.Does this help you see how it is related?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”