Question re; silver plates and mandala offerings

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Challenge23

Question re; silver plates and mandala offerings

Post by Challenge23 »

Hey all,

So, I completed the Dorje Sempa portion of my Ngondro and at the request of my teacher have been asked to move on to the Mandala.

Now, from what I read I need to have a plate, some rice(or gems), and at least a little bit of dexterity. Furthermore I read that you should get the best plate you can afford. Now, I know that eventually(like by mid Fall) I will be able to afford a silver plate and will do my accumulations on that.

My questions are this. Where is a good place to get a silver plate that works well for mandala offerings?

Exactly how bad would it be if I started with something much less impressive(basically something from the kitchen that I wash and dry and use just for mandala offerings, or something new bought for the purpose) so that I can go ahead and start accumulating and not wait several months?

Lastly, what are your thoughts or experiences about the Mandala part of the Ngondro practice?

I, for once, am actually feeling fairly good about it. True, I have a deep and abiding affection for shiny objects(I wouldn't be suprised if I was a rat or a crow in a former incarnation), but I don't mind giving things to people and offering everything in the universe doesn't really worry me that much at all(except that the stuff isn't really mine in the first place, but that is more of a quibble than a concern).
IN THIS BOOK IT IS SPOKEN OF THE SEPHIROTH & THE PATHS, OF SPIRITS & CONJURATIONS, OF GODS, SPHERES, PLANES & MANY OTHER THINGS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST. IT IS IMMATERIAL WHETHER THEY EXIST OR NOT. BY DOING CERTAIN THINGS CERTAIN RESULTS FOLLOW; STUDENTS ARE MOST EARNESTLY WARNED AGAINST ATTRIBUTING OBJECTIVE REALITY OR PHILOSOPHICAL VALIDITY TO ANY OF THEM.

Wagner, Eric; Wilson, Robert Anton (2004-12-01). An Insider's Guide to Robert Anton Wilson (Kindle Locations 1626-1629). New Falcon Publications. Kindle Edition., quoting from Alister Crowley
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Question re; silver plates and mandala offerings

Post by Grigoris »

Look, if it's not a silver plate with gold trimmings and diamond adornments then the lama, yidam, Buddhas, Dharma, Bodhisattvas and protectors are just not going to accept your offer, they are rather fickle you know! :tongue:

The instructions I received is to find the best plate that you can. If you are financially limited to a nice looking plate 9or flat bottomed bowl) from the $1 store, then so be it. You do the best you can.

I'm about a month off finishing mandala, if all goes well, and I found it infinitely "easier" than Dorje Sempa and valuable in a completely different way.

I would recommend you start as soon as possible and fill in the material gaps as you go along.

Gemstone chips are actually really cheap and easy to find (check ebay, for example), as is rice!

You will also need a sheet to lay over your lap to collect the falling rice in, as you do the practice.

The instructions I got was that you can use the same rice until it starts to break up. Then you need to replace it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
heart

Post by heart »

Challenge23 wrote:Hey all,

So, I completed the Dorje Sempa portion of my Ngondro and at the request of my teacher have been asked to move on to the Mandala.

Now, from what I read I need to have a plate, some rice(or gems), and at least a little bit of dexterity. Furthermore I read that you should get the best plate you can afford. Now, I know that eventually(like by mid Fall) I will be able to afford a silver plate and will do my accumulations on that.

My questions are this. Where is a good place to get a silver plate that works well for mandala offerings?

Exactly how bad would it be if I started with something much less impressive(basically something from the kitchen that I wash and dry and use just for mandala offerings, or something new bought for the purpose) so that I can go ahead and start accumulating and not wait several months?

Lastly, what are your thoughts or experiences about the Mandala part of the Ngondro practice?

I, for once, am actually feeling fairly good about it. True, I have a deep and abiding affection for shiny objects(I wouldn't be suprised if I was a rat or a crow in a former incarnation), but I don't mind giving things to people and offering everything in the universe doesn't really worry me that much at all(except that the stuff isn't really mine in the first place, but that is more of a quibble than a concern).
Here you go, as an example;

http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Mandala ... _Pans.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.garudashop.com/1_KG_of_Gemst ... -ritst.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Challenge23

Post by Challenge23 »

Thank you very much, both of you. This is very useful. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being overly impatient by going ahead and going to Ye Olden Dharma Shop and getting a "Nice But Not Super Super Nice" pan so I can get this Dharma show on the road! And it sounds like I'm not.
IN THIS BOOK IT IS SPOKEN OF THE SEPHIROTH & THE PATHS, OF SPIRITS & CONJURATIONS, OF GODS, SPHERES, PLANES & MANY OTHER THINGS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST. IT IS IMMATERIAL WHETHER THEY EXIST OR NOT. BY DOING CERTAIN THINGS CERTAIN RESULTS FOLLOW; STUDENTS ARE MOST EARNESTLY WARNED AGAINST ATTRIBUTING OBJECTIVE REALITY OR PHILOSOPHICAL VALIDITY TO ANY OF THEM.

Wagner, Eric; Wilson, Robert Anton (2004-12-01). An Insider's Guide to Robert Anton Wilson (Kindle Locations 1626-1629). New Falcon Publications. Kindle Edition., quoting from Alister Crowley
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

You could also get a solid silver or high quality plated one from Nepal relatively inexpensively. To me it has always been important to buy the best I could afford, after all you will probably only ever buy one and it is an offering.
Challenge23

Post by Challenge23 »

Tsultrim T. wrote:You could also get a solid silver or high quality plated one from Nepal relatively inexpensively. To me it has always been important to buy the best I could afford, after all you will probably only ever buy one and it is an offering.
This also sounds like a good idea. I couldn't find anything like that online, I'm afraid. :(

ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Start it now. You fingers are so much more valuable than silver and gems.

Just chop them up... ;)

Er... start with the mudra if that's all you have. But start immediately.
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

This is the nicest one I have seen from the US. If you know someone in Asia they could have a very nice one made cheaply.
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Mandala ... a_Pan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”