Dorje Gotrab deity picture origin

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kng

Dorje Gotrab deity picture origin

Post by kng »

Hi dharma friends

does anybody know the source of this picture which si supposed to be Dorje Gotrab according to google?

Code: Select all

http://www.garudashop.com/Dorje_Godrab_Thangka_p/vajrarmour.htm
I read Vajra Armor booklet from dzogchen community but there is mentioned that this teaching consists of mantra only.

Thank you
They all are buddhas, they just don't tell me, because they feel ashamed, that I am not.
Lama Ole Nydahl
heart

Re: Dorje Gotrab deity picture origin

Post by heart »

I have seen it before, there is also a short sadhana. This is what is written in the beginning of the translation: "sngags 'bum rdo rje go khrab Adamantine Armor, mantras for protection and for repelling obstacles, revealed by Dorje Lingpa"

The DC booklet contains a full translation of at least one of the texts by Dorje Lingpa from this terma. So both practices can be correct.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:I have seen it before, there is also a short sadhana. This is what is written in the beginning of the translation: "sngags 'bum rdo rje go khrab Adamantine Armor, mantras for protection and for repelling obstacles, revealed by Dorje Lingpa"

The DC booklet contains a full translation of at least one of the texts by Dorje Lingpa from this terma. So both practices can be correct.

/magnus
The Dorje Lingpa tradition has no visualization in the main text. The image is from a later terma, Ratna Lingpa, I think.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
heart wrote:I have seen it before, there is also a short sadhana. This is what is written in the beginning of the translation: "sngags 'bum rdo rje go khrab Adamantine Armor, mantras for protection and for repelling obstacles, revealed by Dorje Lingpa"

/magnus
The Dorje Lingpa tradition has no visualization in the main text. The image is from a later terma, Ratna Lingpa, I think.
I always wondered about that, if it was an other terma.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

There have been numerous major teaching cycles of the Vajra Armor Mantra that have been revealed, including those of Dorje Lingpa, Mipham, Dudjom Lingpa, and Trak-thung Namkha I Jigme.
Vajra Armor from Dudjom tersar is full complete path

via: http://saraswatibhawan.org/vajra-armor-retreat-course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Two things:

1. The picture goes with Khenpo Ngagchung's short Dorje Gotrab sadhana. If this is an abbreviation of a terma sadhana by Ratnalingpa, I don't know. When I received this from Tulku Sang-ngag, He did not say anything about Ratnalingpa. He only mentioned Khenpo Ngagchung as the source. The colophon states that He revealed for one of His students.

2. Karinos, the Dorje Gotrab path that Lama Dawa teaches is not from the Dudjom Tersar. He has taught quite specifically that it is from the Dorje Lingpa terma. When teaching Dorje Gotrab (Level 1), Lama Dawa gives the lung and tri for this terma. If you've heard something different, I'd be happy to hear it. While Lama Dawa is a a Dudjom Tersar practitioner, not every sadhana He does and teaches comes from the Dudjom Tersar. It is true that Lama Dawa asked Dungse Thrinlay Norbu Rinpoche permission to teach Dorje Gotrab the way He is teaching it, but that does not equate with it coming from the Dudjom Tersar.

Anyone, if I'm wrong about any of this, please feel free to correct me.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
heart

Post by heart »

pemachophel wrote:The picture goes with Khenpo Ngagchung's short Dorje Gotrab sadhana. I
Oh cool, there is nothing written in the translated copy I got.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Karinos

Post by Karinos »

pemachophel wrote:Two things:
2. Karinos, the Dorje Gotrab path that Lama Dawa teaches is not from the Dudjom Tersar. He has taught quite specifically that it is from the Dorje Lingpa terma. When teaching Dorje Gotrab (Level 1), Lama Dawa gives the lung and tri for this terma. If you've heard something different, I'd be happy to hear it. While Lama Dawa is a a Dudjom Tersar practitioner, not every sadhana He does and teaches comes from the Dudjom Tersar. It is true that Lama Dawa asked Dungse Thrinlay Norbu Rinpoche permission to teach Dorje Gotrab the way He is teaching it, but that does not equate with it coming from the Dudjom Tersar.
yes it is probably correct. I only recall information I read, that there is Dorje Gotrab cycle from Dudjom Tersar which is complete path
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

since we're on the topic, does anyone know the source for Lama Zopa's Vajra Armor text (easily found on the FPMT website by google)?

thank you
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Lama Zopa's Rinpoche's predecessor was mainly a practitioner of the Northern Treasure.
His main Nyingma Guru in this life was Trulshig Rinpoche, mainly a Mndrolling Lama,
so anybody's guess. Rinpoche has access to the possessions of his predecessor
as well as everything he learned from Trulshig Rinpoche. Who would like to ask him?

He also has a close friendship with the female Lama Rangjung Neljorma Khadro Namsel Drolma,
whose primary lineage is the termas of the Fifth Dalai Lama...
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

heart wrote:
pemachophel wrote:The picture goes with Khenpo Ngagchung's short Dorje Gotrab sadhana. I
Oh cool, there is nothing written in the translated copy I got.

/magnus
That's the problem of many translation nowadays, they cut off the parts they think not important.
Khenchen Padma Sherab criticised: 'like cutting off buddha's feet'
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rdo rje go khrab, vajra armor, is a generic name for all kinds of practices, not just one practice or lineage of practice.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”