Losing my religion

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Gyaltsen Tashi

Losing my religion

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

I can't stand this shit anymore. I can't pretend to have love and patience. If anyone mess with me again, I'll show them what I'm made of. To hell with loving your enemy.
Jesse

Re: Losing my religion

Post by Jesse »

Love and patience have to be practiced. Anger is easy and destructive. It's really your choice what kind of person you want to be.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Amen!
It’s eye blinking.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:I can't stand this shit anymore. I can't pretend to have love and patience. If anyone mess with me again, I'll show them what I'm made of. To hell with loving your enemy.
Absolutely, show them what you're made of! If someone is causing harm, you should stop them. Of course we should still do this with love and wisdom in mind. But loving your enemy doesn't mean that you allow them to do whatever they want.
What's happening man?
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

If you're angry, stuff like that will just make you want to kill puppies. Trust me on that one :twisted:
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Kelwin wrote:
If you're angry, stuff like that will just make you want to kill puppies. Trust me on that one :twisted:
Maybe if you're in some kind of blood-frenzied rage...
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Of course you love your enemy. And of course you should defend yourself and others. Look up Ra Lotsawa.

But what will any of this matter in a hundred years?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

Losing your religion for a while can actually be a good thing. You'll appreciate it more when you pick it up again.
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:I can't stand this shit anymore. I can't pretend to have love and patience. If anyone mess with me again, I'll show them what I'm made of. To hell with loving your enemy.
You dont have to hate a person to defend yourself.

Sometimes people need a little spanking, to help them understand that their actions will no longer be tolerated.
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

I don't think I can appreciate this. My heart is hardened. I can't feel love for even cute animals.
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

Kelwin wrote:
Absolutely, show them what you're made of! If someone is causing harm, you should stop them. Of course we should still do this with love and wisdom in mind. But loving your enemy doesn't mean that you allow them to do whatever they want.
What's happening man?
Some people in the mental health system mess with your mind. They are worse than CIA psyops!
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

Mkoll wrote:
Kelwin wrote:
Maybe if you're in some kind of blood-frenzied rage...
Cycle of rage, depression, then apathy and helplessness. No one to help.
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

Being a Buddhist is equivalent to being a pussy - not! 20 years ago I survived compulsory military service by reading The Saearch for Meaning by Victor Frankl and Thick Face, Black Heart by Chin Ning Chu.

I need to be survive in a sinister dog-eat-dog world, no less ruthless than a military environment. I can't be a pussy.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Hello Gyaltsen Tashi!

I'm sorry that you are going through some bad stuff. Of course everyone in samsara is (for real). Being ruthless is not an option however. Being ruthless means becoming like Pol Pot or Mao or Hitler or worse (there is worse in fact). Or just becoming like Sheriff Joe Apaio or George Zimmerman. Ignorance and hatred rule our planet at the moment.

You talk about survival. Is your survival or the survival of people close to you actually threatened?

Actually I see that you have stated previously that you have some mental health issues. Okay. Perhaps you should calm down because you might really hurt others and yourself. Is there someone close to you physically who you can talk to?

BTW- you were going to study martial arts. Martial arts is really excellent for the body and can be excellent for the mind as well (as long as the teacher's are good). Did you do that? If you did, it might be best to talk to your shifu/sensei.

Being the pussy I am, I will keep you in my prayers and ask for help for you. BTW - I was physically threatened a few weeks ago on the bus in Baltimore. Once I realized the situation (not always easy because Americans are often not direct) I got off the bus. Often there is a simple solution to an immediate problem.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
muni

Post by muni »

If one goes through difficult years, at least suffering is known, samsara is known. While reading the Four Noble Truths without actually “knowing” suffering, is difficult to understand.

I should not try to love all beings, as this causes frustration or feels artificial. Compassion however for those who harm is somehow helpful, since harm always comes out of ignorance.

Many warmth.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

kirtu wrote:
I'm sorry that you are going through some bad stuff. Of course everyone in samsara is (for real). Being ruthless is not an option however. Being ruthless means becoming like Pol Pot or Mao or Hitler or worse (there is worse in fact). Or just becoming like Sheriff Joe Apaio or George Zimmerman. Ignorance and hatred rule our planet at the moment.
Lincoln was not a pussy. Nor was Gandhi. They pursued their objectives relentlessly, even "ruthlessly".
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

muni wrote:If one goes through difficult years, at least suffering is known, samsara is known. While reading the Four Noble Truths without actually “knowing” suffering, is difficult to understand.
But faith may also be destroyed.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You don't have to love everybody, you just don't have to hate them. Being ruthless is a form of aversion through disregard and, of course, is completely ego-centric. You will only end up (ultimately) causing harm to yourself. If you are diagnosed with a mental illness and start getting aggressive and violent towards people, well, you know the consequences.

Don't let people use you as a doormat, but be intelligent in how you deal with them. Don't allow your anger to overwhelm you.

We are all suffering.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:
Mkoll wrote:Maybe if you're in some kind of blood-frenzied rage...
Cycle of rage, depression, then apathy and helplessness. No one to help.
Concerning your mental state, you have to help yourself. I don't know anything about you, but a good place to start is by breaking some bad habits. It might suck at first, but breaking a cycle means shaking things up.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”