reading recommendations on sound, light, rays

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
anjali
Former staff member

reading recommendations on sound, light, rays

Post by anjali »

Hello all,

I'm looking for any English reading recommendations discussing the energy of awareness and it's manifestation as sound, light and rays. Recommendations can be anywhere from detailed scholarly expositions to pith instructions.

Thanks!
Malcolm

Re: reading recommendations on sound, light, rays

Post by Malcolm »

anjali wrote:Hello all,

I'm looking for any English reading recommendations discussing the energy of awareness and it's manifestation as sound, light and rays. Recommendations can be anywhere from detailed scholarly expositions to pith instructions.

Thanks!

You will find this primarily in descriptions of the bardo. The Bonpos have extensive explanations.
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Malcolm wrote:You will find this primarily in descriptions of the bardo. The Bonpos have extensive explanations.
When I was doing keyword searches, Tenzin Wangyal's books kept coming up. For example, Wonders of the Natural Mind and Tibetan Yogas of Body, Speech, and Mind. They seem like good books from excerpted reading at Amazon. I would appreciate some feedback by anyone (privately if that seems more appropriate) on whether these books would be recommended reading. Also, if there are other Bonpo writings dealing with the subject at hand, I'd like to hear about them.

I only have a couple of books on the bardo. One by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche (Bardo Guidebook), which wasn't very helpful on the kind of exposition I'm looking for. The other was by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche (Journey of the Mind: Putting the Teachings of the Bardo into Effective Practice). It had some very succinct and clear teachings on sound, light and rays. I was hoping to expand on what I read with additional readings.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and look forward to any additional feedback you or others might have on recommending readings.
Last edited by anjali on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

The out-of-print Sacred Tibetan Teachings on Death and Liberation by Giacomella Orofino contains extracts from the Union of Sun and Moon Tantra and the Bon The Oral Transmission of Zhang Zhung.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/168469738/Gia ... Liberation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Tenzin Wangyal's "Body Speech and Mind" is quite good, and the more practice you have under your belt already, the more you can get from it; it introduces topics very relevant to bardo experiences in a rather subtle way.
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Mother's Lap and tingdzin, thank you for your comments!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mother's Lap wrote:The out-of-print Sacred Tibetan Teachings on Death and Liberation by Giacomella Orofino contains extracts from the Union of Sun and Moon Tantra and the Bon The Oral Transmission of Zhang Zhung.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/168469738/Gia ... Liberation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This tantra (nyi zla kha sbyor) has very little on sounds lights and rays. Indeed, the 17 tantras as a whole have very little on the subject. There are texts in the Zhang Zhung snyan rgyud however that have extensive teachings on the subject, and some of the terma cycles also have a bit more on the subject.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Malcolm wrote:There are texts in the Zhang Zhung snyan rgyud however that have extensive teachings on the subject, and some of the terma cycles also have a bit more on the subject.
So best to get John Myrdhin Reynolds' books, Oral Tradition from Zhang-Zhung, The Practice of Dzogchen in the Zhang Zhung Tradition of Tibet and Precepts of the Dharmakaya (21 Nails) then?
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Malcolm wrote:
Mother's Lap wrote:The out-of-print Sacred Tibetan Teachings on Death and Liberation by Giacomella Orofino contains extracts from the Union of Sun and Moon Tantra and the Bon The Oral Transmission of Zhang Zhung. ...
This tantra (nyi zla kha sbyor) has very little on sounds lights and rays. Indeed, the 17 tantras as a whole have very little on the subject. There are texts in the Zhang Zhung snyan rgyud however that have extensive teachings on the subject, and some of the terma cycles also have a bit more on the subject.
When I took a look at the Orofino text, it was true that I found very little on sounds, lights and rays.

Zhang Zhung snyan rgyud. It looks like The Four Lamps (From the Oral Transmission of the Great Perfection in ZhangZhung) by Jean Luc Achard is what I would be looking for. Amazon's description of the text:
The full title of the text presented in this volume is The Four Lamps of the Arising Mode ( ' char tshui sgron ma bzhi) referring to the arising mode of the visions of the natural state explained according to four moments or Lamps. The notion of Lamps is to be understood here in a particular way, as a clarification associated with a specific theme or idea. The visions of the natural state are collectively known as 'the three manifestations" which are displays of sounds ( sgra), lights ( od) and rays ( zer). The manifestations which arise in this unceasing mode are defined as the natural expression or the dynamism of the non dual emptiness and Clarity of the Base. They are explained here according to the four modalities: 1. their spontaneous abiding on the Base of the natural state, 2. their arising due to temporary causes or circumstances 3. their arising during the practice of the Path, and 4. their arising at the time of the Bardo.-

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”