Quick Question Regarding Tibetan Buddhism.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
RickThunderclees

Quick Question Regarding Tibetan Buddhism.

Post by RickThunderclees »

Good morning everyone! Had a quick question:

I'm taking a break from reading up on teachings and am exploring the history of different Buddhist traditions. Each tradition is equally beautiful in its own accord and completely fascinating to me. I've been practicing now for over 10 years and it's been nice just objectively reading about each form and tradition. But I've come to the Tibetan form to ask this specific question because I know someone will know the answer. :twothumbsup:

I've discovered that the first appearance of Avalokiteśvara is in the Lotus Sutra. I questioned this, and did some digging and haven't found otherwise. I assumed the Lotus Sutra was written way after the Tibetan tradition, but this isn't the case. Supposedly the sutra was finished by 200 AD. How did this sutra not make it into TIbetan Buddhism? Is it studied at all within the tradition? You'll have to explain this to me like I'm 5 years old because I really am ignorant of most of Buddhist history, outside of the story of Shakyamuni.

Thanks! :thanks:
Malcolm

Re: Quick Question Regarding Tibetan Buddhism.

Post by Malcolm »

RickThunderclees wrote:Good morning everyone! Had a quick question:

I'm taking a break from reading up on teachings and am exploring the history of different Buddhist traditions. Each tradition is equally beautiful in its own accord and completely fascinating to me. I've been practicing now for over 10 years and it's been nice just objectively reading about each form and tradition. But I've come to the Tibetan form to ask this specific question because I know someone will know the answer. :twothumbsup:

I've discovered that the first appearance of Avalokiteśvara is in the Lotus Sutra. I questioned this, and did some digging and haven't found otherwise. I assumed the Lotus Sutra was written way after the Tibetan tradition, but this isn't the case. Supposedly the sutra was finished by 200 AD. How did this sutra not make it into TIbetan Buddhism? Is it studied at all within the tradition? You'll have to explain this to me like I'm 5 years old because I really am ignorant of most of Buddhist history, outside of the story of Shakyamuni.

The Lotus Sutra is indeed in the Tibetan tradition. It is not a subject of independent study however and there are no schools formed around it.
RickThunderclees

Re: Quick Question Regarding Tibetan Buddhism.

Post by RickThunderclees »

Malcolm wrote:
RickThunderclees wrote:Good morning everyone! Had a quick question:

The Lotus Sutra is indeed in the Tibetan tradition. It is not a subject of independent study however and there are no schools formed around it.
Thanks for the info, Malcolm!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”