Recognition, Confidence, Resolution

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Manju

Recognition, Confidence, Resolution

Post by Manju »

O.K., I am taking part in the Fall Seminar here in Kathmandu,
humbled and grateful to received teachings on Ati-Yoga.

So, in the process of recognizing the nature of mind
we have 3 steps or perhaps simultaneous events:

a) Recognizing Rigpa
b) Gaining or having confidence
c) Resolving the view with a sense of certainty

Any comments on that ?

I struggle with c).

It feels to me like a) and b) would be sufficient and c) is an addition to it.

Manju
heart

Re: Recognition, Confidence, Resolution

Post by heart »

This is the famous "three words striking the vital point", the testament of Garab Dorje. There are other translations of these three words and a few commentaries available that might widen your understanding of this very pithy instruction on Dzogchen. The heart of this teaching is that you have to get used to resting in the natural state. This can happen suddenly but for most of us it is a gradual process.

Is it the Khenpo Ganshar teaching with CNR that you are participating in? Congratulations in that case. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Manju

Post by Manju »

Late reply:

Yes, it was the Khenpo Gangshar teaching/fall seminar with CNR in Kathmandu, Nepal.

I am dealing with Garab Dorje`s `Hitting the Essence in 3 Words` since some time already and after the seminar went back to the explanations given in the book `Dzogchen, Heart Essence o the Great Perfection`, HH Dalai Lama, http://www.amazon.com/Dzogchen-Heart-Es ... 1559392193
given in London 1984 on the above topic.

It is a commentary on Patrul inpoche`s commentary on GD`s `Hitting the Essence in 3 Words`, saying:

1.Vital Point: Introducing Rigpa directly
2.Vital Point: Decide upon one thing and one thing only
3.Vital Point: Confidence directly in the liberation of rising thoughts

Sometimes, when the 3 points are talked about, the term `resolution`, `to resolve` is brought into it.
As I am not a native English speaker I struggle with the meaning.

Does `resolution` here mean to refine one`s perception and to experience Rigpa more clearly (like with increased resolution while using a microscope) or is it more the resolve= firmness, decidedness which is spoken of ?

Could be both.

Manju
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

I have always understood it as the second.
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa
Konchok Namgyal

Post by Konchok Namgyal »

Really , the more you practice these things, the more experience you have with them ,the easier they become.
There is nothing that takes the place of or will be as beneficial as doing the practice.
resolve is really meant as being the will or the strength to persevere or to keep going

drop by drop the jug fills

this is and has been my expereince
Recognize that your mind is the unity of being empty and cognizant, suffused with knowing. When your attention is extroverted, you fall under the sway of thoughts. Let your attention recognize itself. Recognize that it is empty. That which recognizes is the cognizance. You can trust at that moment that these two – emptiness and cognizance – are an original unity. Seeing this is called self-knowing wakefulness. ~ Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
Paul

Post by Paul »

Manju wrote:
Yes, it was the Khenpo Gangshar teaching/fall seminar with CNR in Kathmandu, Nepal.
I saw that via webcast - I thought that was amazing.
I am dealing with Garab Dorje`s `Hitting the Essence in 3 Words` since some time already and after the seminar went back to the explanations given in the book `Dzogchen, Heart Essence o the Great Perfection`, HH Dalai Lama, http://www.amazon.com/Dzogchen-Heart-Es ... 1559392193
given in London 1984 on the above topic.

It is a commentary on Patrul inpoche`s commentary on GD`s `Hitting the Essence in 3 Words`, saying:

1.Vital Point: Introducing Rigpa directly
2.Vital Point: Decide upon one thing and one thing only
3.Vital Point: Confidence directly in the liberation of rising thoughts

Sometimes, when the 3 points are talked about, the term `resolution`, `to resolve` is brought into it.
As I am not a native English speaker I struggle with the meaning.

Does `resolution` here mean to refine one`s perception and to experience Rigpa more clearly (like with increased resolution while using a microscope) or is it more the resolve= firmness, decidedness which is spoken of ?
The second. You have to trust it. The more you practice the more confident you become in the practice as things are liberated.

Not sure if you've read it, but Lion's Gaze is a whole book on the three statements and Patrul's commentary.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I like the way ChNN teaches the second statement as "no doubt". In other words its not a matter of having trust or faith or deciding..all of are of the mind and can change with circumstances. No doubt means having that experience of Rigpa so that you Know..and not in an intellectual way...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

"drop by drop the jug fills"
this is a very good way of putting it.
Manju

Post by Manju »

The second. You have to trust it.
O.k.

I did not read Lion's Gaze.

What about John Myrdhin Reynolds, Golden Letters.
Somebody has experience with this one ?

I am fully aware that I am reading books to avoid meditation :thinking:

Manju
Paul

Post by Paul »

Manju wrote:What about John Myrdhin Reynolds, Golden Letters.
Somebody has experience with this one ?
Love it.
I am fully aware that I am reading books to avoid meditation :thinking:
Me too.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Manju

Post by Manju »

I found a whole chapter (Canto 9)on ``Resolution`` in Keith Dowman`s book Spaciousness (Longchenpa).

Excerpt from the Canto-Introductory:

```Thinking of the key confirms the prison.
Steadfast confidence in the actuality of our freedom, wherever we may be, renders any recourse to a process or concept of release redundant.```

There is nothing beyond it.
Fantastic.

Manju
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Thinking of the key confirms the prison.
I like that, contrary though it may be to my approach.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”