Outer Offering on Altar

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cck123

Outer Offering on Altar

Post by cck123 »

Hello Friends,

do you put a separate offering for Guru, Yidam and Protector on your Altar or do you put there only one offering for the 3 Jewels?

I know guru yidam and protector are really inseparable but protectors get some cookies, spiritouses or tea instead, or inner offering if you have wang/lung/tri. So how should the altar look like? A cookie for everyone :rolling:

:thanks:

Chris
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Outer Offering on Altar

Post by Ayu »

The altar in my own room I let look like it feels best for me personally.
There is not enough space for many different offerings. So I have one row of bowls with offerings for all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas in one.
heart

Re: Outer Offering on Altar

Post by heart »

cck123 wrote:Hello Friends,

do you put a separate offering for Guru, Yidam and Protector on your Altar or do you put there only one offering for the 3 Jewels?

I know guru yidam and protector are really inseparable but protectors get some cookies, spiritouses or tea instead, or inner offering if you have wang/lung/tri. So how should the altar look like? A cookie for everyone :rolling:

:thanks:

Chris
There is no end to the elaborations possible when it comes to this. However, as a minimum you have a symbol of the Buddha's body, speech and mind and that will cover everything. If you are doing a particular cycle you should request instructions on how to arrange the altar in that context. There are also general ways of arranging the altar if you got the tormas for guru, yidam and dakini. Place them on the highest level of the altar, one step below is the inner offerings and on the lowest lever are the outer offerings.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”