Do prayers or dedications on behalf of other sentient beings

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
prsvrnc

Do prayers or dedications on behalf of other sentient beings

Post by prsvrnc »

Do prayers or dedications on behalf of other sentient beings work? For example, my friend likes to make offerings with the intent that she is offering it on behalf of hell beings. It's actually the hell beings that are offering it, in her mind, and she is just the intermediary. In this way, she believes the merit of the offering goes to the hell beings and only indirectly to her.

The question I have about the efficacy of such practices applies similarly to the practice of dedication.

It is said (in Liberation in the Palm of Your Hands) that even today we are still experiencing the merit as a result of the dedications made by Shayamuni for our well-being.

Upon being asked, a Geshe said that it was a difficult question to answer but that dedications do truly produce ripening results towards the sentient beings for whom the dedication is intended, if you really mean it. A friend explained it as follows: it doesn’t necessarily produce a result— for that the karmic conditions have to be in place for that being and no prayer can change the karma of someone— however, the dedication can effect the other conditions so that if they do have the karma, they will experience a positive result.

Any thoughts or theories are appreciated.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Do prayers or dedications on behalf of other sentient be

Post by Ayu »

Upon being asked, a Geshe said that it was a difficult question to answer but that dedications do truly produce ripening results towards the sentient beings for whom the dedication is intended, if you really mean it. A friend explained it as follows: it doesn’t necessarily produce a result— for that the karmic conditions have to be in place for that being and no prayer can change the karma of someone— however, the dedication can effect the other conditions so that if they do have the karma, they will experience a positive result.
This is precisely the answer I heard, whenever it was asked in any buddhist lecture.
One Rinpoche said, sometimes we can give something like a little push for good.
Also, sometimes I got the feedback from friends that my dedications were helpful, even if they didn't know that I did something for them. But I think it also depends on the person and situation.

Very strongly I feel these kind of positive pushes in my own life.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”