Drikung Kagyu Chakrasamvara

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kris

Drikung Kagyu Chakrasamvara

Post by Kris »

Hey group,

To begin with I'm not that familiar with HYT, so this is more or less a question, what is the lineage of this practice in Drikung Kagyu? More specifically H.E. Garchen Rinpoche?

I apologize if this has been discussed so if there is already a good thread please direct me to it.

Also what are the major and minor differences between how the Chakrasamvara tantra is practiced?

Thanks!

Peace!
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
conebeckham

Re: Drikung Kagyu Chakrasamvara

Post by conebeckham »

It's the five deity practice of Gantapada, if I recall, that is the main Drikung Cakrasamvara.u. I recall it was brought to Tibet by Ga Lotsawa, and thence to Phagmodrupa, Jigten Sumgon, etc.

There are so many different sadhanas and methods of Cakrasamvara it's impossible to discuss your question.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Lobsang Damchoi

Post by Lobsang Damchoi »

Hi

Differences? In general, or within the Drikung Kagyu?? If you mean the former, I can think of a few possible differences offhand...

1) fine details in the visualizations (deities, mantra letters, etc.)
2) whether there is a body mandala
3) number of deities in the mandala
4) slight variants in mantras are possible
5) linage supplication texts
6) names of some of the supporting deities
7) hand mudras
8) dharma protectors

Also, in Drikung, Heruka Chakrasamvara is the deity in the Five-Fold Mahamudra practice system. There is I believe a commentary on this by Drigung Kyabgon Chetsang Rinpoche, but that may be a restricted text.

Hope this helps a bit.

:anjali:
Lobsang Damchoi
Loren

Post by Loren »

There is this that has a great explanation. Besides that the cover has the most beautiful awesome Achi Chokyi Drolma.
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem
Lobsang Damchoi

Post by Lobsang Damchoi »

Loren,

Thanks so much -- I'd heard of this but never got the title. I will check it out!! :cheers:
Lobsang Damchoi

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”