Siddhas and Supernatural Powers and Guru Finding and Tibet

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Sherab

Re: Siddhas and Supernatural Powers and Guru Finding and Tib

Post by Sherab »

ShakuShodoo wrote: Let me portrait another event...
phpBB [video]

I've never saw a rainbow take this shape, trajectory and proximity to the ground.
Another unusual feature of the rainbow is that it is red on the inside and blue on the outside. Primary rainbows are red on the outside and blue on the inside.
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

Another day I heard it was seen square rainbows recently when 'a guy' from Tibet acquired the Rainbow Body, but I couldn't confirm.
Konchok Namgyal

Post by Konchok Namgyal »

Really you should let go of something like this being the sole intent of Dharma practice, I concur that if you diligently do practice in the Nyingma tradition ( or any other tradition for that matter..!!) " miracles will and do happen all of the time.
The sole intent of Dharma is to free us from samsara, not to keep us in it, when expereincing miracles and the like they are simply shows...not the actual Dharma.
Find a GOOD teacher who can correctly guide you on this path and you will understand why I tell you this in this way.
I , myself have seen many miraculous things, with my own eyes. In reality " magic " occurs all of the time anywhere, we just cant always see it.
The real Miracle, is learning how to recognize your own mind and have a good realization of emptiness and compassion.
Then at that point you will have witnessed something out of this world.

Tashi Delek !
Recognize that your mind is the unity of being empty and cognizant, suffused with knowing. When your attention is extroverted, you fall under the sway of thoughts. Let your attention recognize itself. Recognize that it is empty. That which recognizes is the cognizance. You can trust at that moment that these two – emptiness and cognizance – are an original unity. Seeing this is called self-knowing wakefulness. ~ Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Does anyone here knows or knows someone who knows which are the best places in India, Tibet and/or Mongolia to find a Siddhi, a Magical Guru or a Super Tertöm?
Simple answer: When the Karmapa finally gets his hat back I suggest going to a Vajra Crown ceremony. Historically HHK is the only lama that puts his realization on public display (which of course other lamas/lineages find kitschy). Don't sit at home and watch on the internet unless you can't make it in person, and keep your eyes open during the ceremony. It is called "liberation through seeing".

That being said, unless you have the karma for a Crown ceremony to function like a direct introduction (some people do), the only real miracle that actually means anything is if someone practices Dharma and begin to find a way out of their own samsaric insanity and suffering. Nothing else matters.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Personally, I feel it is very important for practitioners, especially Westerners, to experience "supernatural" pheomena, even if they are not the main point.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
ShakuShodoo

Post by ShakuShodoo »

dzogchungpa wrote:Personally, I feel it is very important for practitioners, especially Westerners, to experience "supernatural" pheomena, even if they are not the main point.

I agree...but not only on westerns.
Magic isn't the Dharma, it's not even a primary tool for Dharma. Maybe it's not even a secondary tool!
But...
You see, people, specially coming from rich and intelectual background, or maybe with a recent rebirth with these karmic characteristics, seem to be more skeptical. I don't know when I got this or if I got this "skeptical inner demon" in this very life. I just know that he is here. It's annoying as hell...folks, I'm not using methaphors or hyperboles when I say that this "inner demon" acts as if there was another MIND in my mind and everything that I sence or think is immediatly questioned! It's like Descartes' "Pure Reason" debates. These last years I learned how to "turn it off" for some time, but it allways come back. And I KNOW that when I see square rainbows, Rainbow Bodies, Emmanations, etc. well...Siddhis...when I see anything of this, this demon will die and I'll be FREE from his annoying questionings.

The only thing, besides my daughter's imaturity, that keeps me away from becoming a monk is that annoying bastard. When I come up with the thought "Oh, I've seen enough. Buddha had proved enough. I'm going to get ordinated right now"

There comes, suddenly, WITHOUT I EVEN MAKING A SINGLE EFFORT, the thinking:

"No. You didn't see a miracle. Everything you saw had a skeptic explanation or possibility of explanation. You can't be sure that it's all true."

Well...I know that if I see a real Siddhi, something like square rainbows or melting rocks without any natural thermic activity, I'll be SURE. And I'll have all reasons I need to fully imerse my whole life into Dharma.

Then it's Dharma for life!
ShakuShodoo

Post by ShakuShodoo »

About that rainbow thing, look what a Physicist from a Physics forum that I'm member wrote about it:

"Rainbows seen so close to the ground are rare simply because of the geometry required.
Rainbows seen so close to the ground are rare simply because of the geometry required.

The droplet-laden air must be the right angular distance from the sun (~40 degrees). In order for that to occur below the horizon line, the air must be pretty much at your feet.

This occurs when looking through a sprinkler or other misting apparatus, but rarely occurs in nature because you're usually looking at a volume of air in the distance and in the sky.

Nice!
Konchok Namgyal

Post by Konchok Namgyal »

According to some , the fact that you have found the Dharma and been exposed to it, even briefly is a miracle in itself...
I understand the desire to see " something " to solidify faith etc, and I dont fault you for it, but I will tell you if you stay very aware you will see plenty !
Recognize that your mind is the unity of being empty and cognizant, suffused with knowing. When your attention is extroverted, you fall under the sway of thoughts. Let your attention recognize itself. Recognize that it is empty. That which recognizes is the cognizance. You can trust at that moment that these two – emptiness and cognizance – are an original unity. Seeing this is called self-knowing wakefulness. ~ Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
Motova

Post by Motova »

Konchok Namgyal wrote:According to some , the fact that you have found the Dharma and been exposed to it, even briefly is a miracle in itself...
I understand the desire to see " something " to solidify faith etc, and I dont fault you for it, but I will tell you if you stay very aware you will see plenty !
:good:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

ShakuShodoo wrote:About that rainbow thing, look what a Physicist from a Physics forum that I'm member wrote about it:

"Rainbows seen so close to the ground are rare simply because of the geometry required.
Rainbows seen so close to the ground are rare simply because of the geometry required.

The droplet-laden air must be the right angular distance from the sun (~40 degrees). In order for that to occur below the horizon line, the air must be pretty much at your feet.

This occurs when looking through a sprinkler or other misting apparatus, but rarely occurs in nature because you're usually looking at a volume of air in the distance and in the sky.

Nice!
Yes, but what you will be seeing will be the primary rainbow (red on the outside and blue on the inside). You may see a secondary rainbow (red on the inside and blue on the outside) above the primary rainbow, but it will be very faint. The secondary rainbow is faint because the source light underwent two internal reflections whereas in the case of the primary rainbow, the source light was internally reflected once. The rainbow as shown in the video seemed to be showing a colour sequence of a secondary rainbow and should not have been that bright if it is at all a secondary rainbow.
ShakuShodoo

Post by ShakuShodoo »

Sherab wrote:
ShakuShodoo wrote:About that rainbow thing, look what a Physicist from a Physics forum that I'm member wrote about it:

Nice!
Yes, but what you will be seeing will be the primary rainbow (red on the outside and blue on the inside). You may see a secondary rainbow (red on the inside and blue on the outside) above the primary rainbow, but it will be very faint. The secondary rainbow is faint because the source light underwent two internal reflections whereas in the case of the primary rainbow, the source light was internally reflected once. The rainbow as shown in the video seemed to be showing a colour sequence of a secondary rainbow and should not have been that bright if it is at all a secondary rainbow.

Also, Secondar Rainbows must be with Primary Rainbows. We can see in the video that this "Secondary" rainbow was the only one in the sky at the moment the video was filmed.

That's awesome.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

dzogchungpa wrote:Personally, I feel it is very important for practitioners, especially Westerners, to experience "supernatural" pheomena, even if they are not the main point.
Why especially westerners? It isn't important for people from the east?

Also, there is no "supernatural" phenomena in Buddhism, only supernormal.
Telepaths - I like to kill them
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

BrianG wrote:
Why especially westerners? It isn't important for people from the east?

Also, there is no "supernatural" phenomena in Buddhism, only supernormal.
In an interview Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche said westeners question more, etc, maybe westeners get lost in their questionings and faith never arise.

Based my personal experience every person should become good in meditation, any meditation! Stuff may start to happen.
Gyurme Kundrol

Post by Gyurme Kundrol »

Theres no sense in waiting to see a specific phenomena. This is the same kind of attitude as people who have a theistic belief in which they basically try to get God to perform some miracle or give them some sign, and if God does this or does that then their faith will be strong and they will never commit some sin again. Although you arent saying as much since you arent making any deals with an imagined entity in return for anything, still its basically the same view. "I wont practice Dharma until I see a miracle!". Which means you may never practice Dharma. I wouldnt be surprised if you were raised in a theistic household, although of course what do I know about you?!

The truth is that whether a rock is just an ordinary rock, or there is a Buddha standing there imprinting their hand in it before our very eyes- in either case the phenomena we are speaking of all arise within the scope of our own awareness, generated by its power, and when there isnt realization of emptiness in both cases these phenomena arise as delusions. What this means is that you are basically saying "Im waiting for a specific delusion to arise, then I will practice Dharma!" this is no different from people who say things like "Ill practice Dharma when Im rich" or "In a few years Ill be retired, I can practice Dharma then!" or "Right now I have to do x, y, z, but later when conditions are in my favor, then I will practice!". Yet waiting for the right conditions is not the right way of Dharma. This is Samsara in its essence, Samsara trying to fix itself with more Samsara! In Vajrayana we dont need special conditions because we have teachings that can skillfully use any environment and can work with any kind of sentient being. This isnt to say that creating conditions that are most suitable for Dharma isnt desirable, but whether you are homeless and somewhat crazy, or you are rich and seemingly sane- the Dharma is for everyone in all stations of life.

Dharma begins here and now, with who and what we are right now. If you dont begin here and now, you wont ever begin because there isn't any other place to begin from. You may well die long before you have the chance to witness anything, and then you may lose your opportunity to see the real miracle possibly for a very long time.

The real miracle is witnessing the end of your own suffering. Thats the miracle that Dharma promises us all if we practice. If you suspend your doubt in a skillful way and practice Dharma in order to attain enlightenment for the sake of all beings then you may live to see that miracle. Other miracles include the realization of emptiness, wherein you enter a magical realm that is basically like a dream. Then you see that things arise like magic, without any apparent agent, just appearing, but not really there. So if you want wonder and magic, literally just seek reality. Then you will have more miracles than you know what to do with.

As for Siddhi themselves, they are nothing. Anyone can develop Siddhi, and many deluded people do. They don't indicate enlightenment and so they cant stand as evidence of any kind of realization. Therefore using this as your basis of faith makes no sense- you might as well base it on whether or not the next car you see is a Mercedes. You need faith in two things to practice Dharma. One is faith in the teachings of Buddha the other is faith in yourself. To have faith in the Buddha is just to believe that he attained enlightenment, and that his path will be able to help you do the same. This is the kind of faith we give a math teacher, not the blind devotion we give to whatever a priest says. We dont understand the math YET, but we believe that it will all come together in the end. However we also have to have faith in ourselves. Even though it might seem daunting to think we can also attain enlightenment, we only have to start with basic addition. We don't have to go to calculus right away, but maybe we will. Whatever happens if we lack faith in our own ability to learn and practice Buddhas Dharma, then it will be hard to practice and make progress.

If you really want to see a miracle then practice Dharma until all your attachment to seeing a miracle is gone.
ShakuShodoo

Post by ShakuShodoo »

I agree with you that there's no need to see a miracle to practice Dharma. I'm practicing Dharma. I'm training meditation, reading Sutras, apliying the wisdom.

What I said, is that I don't ordinate as a monk because there's this skeptical mind giving me hell. It's really anoying. Read my descriptions of it.

It's not something that I control. So I want it dead. The only real way to shutting it out forever that I see now is through a Siddhi.

That's why I want it for.

Best wishes.
ShakuShodoo

Post by ShakuShodoo »

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/p ... st-5041536

Physicists are getting nuts here trying to explain the Rainbow that appeared in the Mahaparinibbana of Penor Rinpoche :lol:

I guess I won't have to travel to Tibet after all.

Did you guys see something like this before?
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

I never seen special rainbows, but once I saw a shadown pointed to the wrong direction!
It was around 18:00 (6 PM) and we had a nice sunset in the west of course, so that guy's shadow should be leaning east, right? But no, tha shadow was going west torward the sun. That was simply ridiculously scandalous, it was many years back and I still was skeptical. Maybey I lost my faith during my life because I faced too many hardships and I used to pray a lot in the past and I belived it had no effect.
ShakuShodoo

Post by ShakuShodoo »

:shock:
There was no light behind him at all? The sun was the only light source?

Who was he?
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

The sun was the only lightsource, I have no idea who he was, he just passed riding a bicycle and the shadow was very blackish.
I didn't care much about this at that time. I considered It was an hallucination, or a spirit, but in that time I was doing a sort of meditation related to shadows and it was very spooky... it still don't know what I saw but it looked very physical, very real and I'm not a person with clairvoyance, I don't see spirits and such.

That is the problem of seeing something not normal by yourself alone if you don't have the chance to study the manifestation you saw, you will not be able to confirm it was an hallucination or if it really happened.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Gyurme Kundrol wrote:As for Siddhi themselves, they are nothing.
I guess that's why Tibetan masters never talk about that kind of thing. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”