Medicine buddha sadhana "Drop of Ambrosia"

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
qwerty13

Medicine buddha sadhana "Drop of Ambrosia"

Post by qwerty13 »

Does anyone know in which class of tantra this sadhana practice belongs to? Many months ago I received medicine buddha empowerment from H.E Garchen rinpoche. He said that this medicine buddha empowerment belongs to "unsurpassed" tantra which is he`s way of saying anuttara yoga tantra. I started practicing "Stream of Lapis lazuli" -sadhana which is anuttara yoga tantra sadhana of medicine buddha.But yesterday I was on Garchen institute webstore and saw medicine buddha sadhana "a drop of ambrosia". I started wondering if this is the practice that I should do based on the empowerment I received. But based on the visualizations,this sadhana seems more like Kriya level practice. But I am not sure enough.

If I knew for sure that "Drop of ambrosia" is Kriya, then at least that way I am able to exclude one possibility.But since I am not quite sure, my question is in which class of tantra that sadhana belongs.
Who should we turn to for refuge? We should seek refuge in the Buddha. He is the one we weep before
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
ratna

Re: Medicine buddha sadhana "Drop of Ambrosia"

Post by ratna »

Since Garchen Rinpoche gave the empowerment from Namchö, the Stream of Lapis would indeed be appropriate. But I think it would be better to receive oral transmission for the sadhana.

The Drop of Ambrosia is indeed something like Kriya, but AFAIK it's the one commonly practiced in Drikung centres in the West. I've seen it taught in conjunction with the empowerment of Medicine Buddha from Namchö.

R
qwerty13

Post by qwerty13 »

ratna wrote:Since Garchen Rinpoche gave the empowerment from Namchö, the Stream of Lapis would indeed be appropriate. But I think it would be better to receive oral transmission for the sadhana.

R
Yes, the reading transmission would be important for this practice. Well, I just have to keep my eyes open for that opportunity. I really, really love this sadhana.
Who should we turn to for refuge? We should seek refuge in the Buddha. He is the one we weep before
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

qwerty13 wrote:
ratna wrote:Since Garchen Rinpoche gave the empowerment from Namchö, the Stream of Lapis would indeed be appropriate. But I think it would be better to receive oral transmission for the sadhana.

R
Yes, the reading transmission would be important for this practice. Well, I just have to keep my eyes open for that opportunity. I really, really love this sadhana.

If you have the empowerment, you have the lung for the sadhana.
topazdreamz

Post by topazdreamz »

Malcolm wrote:

Why do you say this? Is it generally understood that if one has the empowerment, one has the lung for any given practice?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

topazdreamz wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Why do you say this? Is it generally understood that if one has the empowerment, one has the lung for any given practice?
Because during the empowerment the guru recites all the main parts of the sadhana to create the disciple in the form of the deity, as well as the refuge and bodhicitta that we recite with the master, and he gives the transmission of the mantra and so forth.

So yes, in general, if you have the empowerment, you have the lung.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Thank you, Malcolm, this is most enlightening.
qwerty13

Post by qwerty13 »

Malcolm wrote:
qwerty13 wrote:

R

OK thank you for this information!
-H.H. 14th Dalai Lama
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

qwerty13 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:51 pm Does anyone know in which class of tantra this sadhana practice belongs to? Many months ago I received medicine buddha empowerment from H.E Garchen rinpoche. He said that this medicine buddha empowerment belongs to "unsurpassed" tantra which is he`s way of saying anuttara yoga tantra..if I knew for sure that "Drop of ambrosia" is Kriya, then at least that way I am able to exclude one possibility.But since I am not quite sure, my question is in which class of tantra that sadhana belongs.
This namcho torwang was an anuyoga empowerment. It is also found compiled in rinchen terdzo. I could be wrong of course.
heart

Post by heart »

bryandavis wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:04 am
qwerty13 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:51 pm Does anyone know in which class of tantra this sadhana practice belongs to? Many months ago I received medicine buddha empowerment from H.E Garchen rinpoche. He said that this medicine buddha empowerment belongs to "unsurpassed" tantra which is he`s way of saying anuttara yoga tantra..if I knew for sure that "Drop of ambrosia" is Kriya, then at least that way I am able to exclude one possibility.But since I am not quite sure, my question is in which class of tantra that sadhana belongs.
This namcho torwang was an anuyoga empowerment. It is also found compiled in rinchen terdzo. I could be wrong of course.
It is written annutarayoga in the original text but the style is anuyoga.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Magnus,

The original text as in the root terma or empowerment manual or it's connected sadhana?

Also are you aware of other termas that are anutarayogatanra class? It's interesting.

"..སྔགས་འདི་རྒྱུད་འགའ་རེ་ནས་ཀྱང་འབྱུང་ཞིང་མདོ་ལུགས་ཁོ་ནར་ཡང་མ་ངེས་ཤིང་། གཡུ་ཐོག་པའི་བླ་སྒྲུབ་ཀྱང་བླ་མེད་ལུགས་སུ་སྣང་བ་ལྟར། འདི་རང་ནི་བླ་མེད་ཨ་ཏི་ཡོ་ག་ལྟར་དྲན་རྫོགས་སུ་བསྒོམ་པ་ཡིན་ལ། སྤྱིར་སངས་རྒྱས་སྨན་གྱི་བླ་བཻ་ཌཱུརྻ་འོད་ཀྱི་རྒྱལ་པོའི་མཚན་ཐོས་པ་ཙམ་གྱི་ཡང་ཕན་ཡོན་མཐའ་ཡས་ཏེ། ཚུལ་ཁྲིམས་ཉམས་པར་མི་འགྱུར་བ་དང་..."

This is are from the lineage history which talks about class. It says something like a mix of four streams and this sadhana is "anutara" and then to remember the meaning accords with ati yoga and to cultivate this state..... something like that.

B
heart

Post by heart »

bryandavis wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:16 pm Magnus,

The original text as in the root terma or empowerment manual or it's connected sadhana?

Also are you aware of other termas that are anutarayogatanra class? It's interesting.

"..སྔགས་འདི་རྒྱུད་འགའ་རེ་ནས་ཀྱང་འབྱུང་ཞིང་མདོ་ལུགས་ཁོ་ནར་ཡང་མ་ངེས་ཤིང་། གཡུ་ཐོག་པའི་བླ་སྒྲུབ་ཀྱང་བླ་མེད་ལུགས་སུ་སྣང་བ་ལྟར། འདི་རང་ནི་བླ་མེད་ཨ་ཏི་ཡོ་ག་ལྟར་དྲན་རྫོགས་སུ་བསྒོམ་པ་ཡིན་ལ། སྤྱིར་སངས་རྒྱས་སྨན་གྱི་བླ་བཻ་ཌཱུརྻ་འོད་ཀྱི་རྒྱལ་པོའི་མཚན་ཐོས་པ་ཙམ་གྱི་ཡང་ཕན་ཡོན་མཐའ་ཡས་ཏེ། ཚུལ་ཁྲིམས་ཉམས་པར་མི་འགྱུར་བ་དང་..."

This is are from the lineage history which talks about class. It says something like a mix of four streams and this sadhana is "anutara" and then to remember the meaning accords with ati yoga and to cultivate this state..... something like that.

B
It is in the colophon of the sadhana but don't have terma marks. "Because it is anuttara tradition, cleanliness is not required. Because offerings are mentally emanated it can be done without tormas or other offerings. Therefore may everyone practice it."

The innermost sadhana in the Tripple Essence terma is said to be anuttara tantra.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”