Practices against stroke

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kng

Practices against stroke

Post by kng »

Hi dharma friends

please could you tell me if there are some practices that could help prevent a stroke or help recover from one?

Thank you

kng
They all are buddhas, they just don't tell me, because they feel ashamed, that I am not.
Lama Ole Nydahl
Vasana

Re: Practices against stroke

Post by Vasana »

Medicine Buddha usually for health and healing.

Not sure specifically about stroke.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Vajrapani.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

In Tibetan culture, strokes (with their associated paralysis and palsy) are often associated with depredations by the Za/Rahula class of the spirits. Such attacks are usually retribution for some sort of len-chag (karmic debt). There are many practices in Tantric Buddhism that seek to repay such debts, such as sang, sur, water torma, and chod. Since you're worried about having a stroke, you could also do various dok-pa/reversal practices (such as Dug Karmo, Senge Dongchen, or even Prajna Paramita dok-pas). Another possibility is reciting the "Dharani Possessing the Limbs of All the Buddhas" which relieves fear and trepidation of the four great rivers of suffering in the human realm (birth, old age, sickness, and death). There are other dharanis and sutras that can be recited for the prevention and treatment of disease. I believe someone has already mentioned Medicine Buddha practice. That's good for preventing and curing all types of disease. There are both sutra and tantra versions of Medicine Buddha practice. So one doesn't necessarily have to have wang/empowerment and lung/transmission. There are also amulets that one can wear after they have been properly consecrated. Even one can simply take a little men-drub in boiled water every day first thing in the morning.

Since there are so many, many practices within Tantric Buddhism for preventing and curing disease, I would suggest getting a really good Lama to do a divination for you to find out if:

1. You are truly at risk for a stroke
2. What, if any, of the "eight classes" of spirits may be involved in this
3. What would be the karmically best practice(s) to deal with this

There are a number of different types of divination in Tantric Buddhism, but the method doesn't matter so much. It's the practitioner's accuracy of prediction that matters. So try to get a divination from the best Lama you can, i.e., one famous for their divinations.

Just my two cents. Oh, and:

I've been told that forcing oneself to use one's non-dominant hand can help prevent stroke. I can't remember where I heard this. Since I was a doctor for 30 years, it caught my attention. However, I don't know/can't remember if there's any research on this technique. It's probably something I learned in China. And finally, if, unfortunately, one does suffer a stroke, I'd get scalp acupuncture (especially from Dr. Jason Hao in Santa Fe, NM). It can work wonders. The quicker it can be applied after a stroke, the better the results. FYI, Blue Poppy Press has a whole book on the Chinese medical (including acupuncture) treatment of stroke. It may also have a section on prevention. Again, I don't remember. Ha!

In terms of "Western" medicine, Losartan has both some heart attack and stroke preventing ability. So you might want to ask your doctor if that's something you should/might take.

Good luck and best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

In this link Lama Zopa Rinpoche briefly mentions a few of mantras meant for preventing strokes and healing stroke victims. They're under the section titled The Benefits of the Naga King's Mantra.

http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect ... 3&chid=648
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
maybay

Post by maybay »

Stroke: Giving up. Resistance. Rather die than change. Rejection of life.
Louise Hay
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
kng

Post by kng »

I wanted to meet Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche in person for the first time but I didn´t succeed. Few days before retreat my condition of body and mind was weekend and maybe therefore it was easy to get some problems. After extensive Dorje Gotrab recitation sympthoms of stroke vanished(I activated that mantra before). SMS teacher whom I asked for advice recommended to do the practice of Vajrapani. My divination showed that Vajrapani and Guru Dragpur could be helpful, but I never practiced them at all, so I relied upon method that I practiced before. Another SMS teacher adviced long life practices. As far as I know Dorje Gotrab is a manifestation of Vajrapani. I am doing it on daily basis since then. For the future I want to rely more upon Vajra Guru mantra and concentrate more on Guruyoga on Padmasambhava. And maybe when my body starts saying: "hey it would be usefull to slow down and relax a little bit" I will relax. In underestimated relaxation. Well I am a human being and not a machine...
They all are buddhas, they just don't tell me, because they feel ashamed, that I am not.
Lama Ole Nydahl
blackgaruda

Post by blackgaruda »

practice of eating herbs

moringa leaves.. can be found quite readily in various places, markets n even commercial tea bags, capsules..

http://bernardlsh.hubpages.com/hub/Afri ... for-Stroke

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”